Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th October 2019, 10:45   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Alan,

Please can you reduce the size of your photograph. It's so enormous that the thread has become unmanageable on my computer. We can all see the pattern on the belt without the enlargement. Thanks.

Simon
No. (try ctrl and - ) It is not my photograph, - to edit the image in any way would affect the scientific process. You could contact Microsoft to request they change their embedding processes.

The enlargement actually works better in this instance, on my screen, so by your logic it must work well on your screen too. The pulley on the left is all you need to see. The pattern is repeated on the rest of the belt, as evidenced by scrolling.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 10:49   #12
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I CAN understand why some skimp on this or any component (critical or otherwise) for financial reasons, time constraints, even ignorance. I can even understand 'out of principle' on non critical components. I speak from experience on all of the former. I could not state fact based upon it, nor in good conscience contradict years of, and millions spent on research by professionals (even those with vested interest - we have laws to protect consumers against those interests).
Absolutely.

My post was aimed at people like us, who buy a car they want, get involved with the community, and even if they have little mechanical knowledge (for example, Me!) take time to understand the weak points of a particular model & strive to keep their car in as good condition as possible.

I've seen far too many times on car clubs where people will spend hundreds of pounds on visual or performance modifications without taking the current condition of the car into account - to me this is crazy and these people are far from the sort who could claim ignorance when / if it all goes wrong.
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 10:58   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastienclement View Post
people will spend hundreds of pounds on visual or performance modifications without taking the current condition of the car into account - to me this is crazy and these people are far from the sort who could claim ignorance when / if it all goes wrong.
I have been guilty of that too lol. For me, it was a mistaken belief in value for money. If I couldnt see it, it was a waste of money. Along with the 'ostrich effect'. It wont happen to me - and it hasnt (yet!), but I know plenty that it has happened to.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 11:23   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The addition to my ‘collection’, a silver 2003 2.5 V6 Connie SE, that was my sons, that in exchange for an Audi Q5, they offered him nothing,they said it would go to auction which was to much trouble. A person who he works with said he would buy it off him, but only to break it up to sell. My son said it is to good to break up, so offered it to me. So. It will be checked over, and anything that needs doing, will be done. My son told me it has a broken rear spring, offside, so that means two new springs. With the current weather, all I have been able to do is clean up and check the nearside top arm where the spring sits, and it seems ok. This will eventually lead to either me doing the timing belts, they are overdue being 8 years old, or Lates getting the job, who did them last. When they are changed, I will keep them for analysis of the wear pattern, and post up what I find.The car was in everyday use for commuting, and regularly took his family on holidays, and fetched my granddaughter’s back from both Leeds and Manchester Universities, when it traversed the m/way at 70mph on cruise control. I can not wait to see what the timing belts are like.
Old 26th October 2019, 14:37   #15
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thank you John for posting that evidence. My belts, from a 1999 Rover 75 with 90,000 miles, were the same.

I can answer that for you David. They look absolutely fine, easily capable of a further 10,000 miles service.

'Chobling' is not in my dictionary I'm afraid David!
If I may say so, you're making the mistake of beginning with a belief, then looking for reasons to uphold it. The correct scientific approach is, as I am sure you know, the other way around; begin with the evidence and the explanation follows that. This is what John116 and I have done and it demonstrates that the belts can safely last for 18 and 20 years respectively.

Simon
Apart from the fact, the photograph below clearly shows this belt as being manufactured between the 8th - 14th August 2011.

The first two digits indicates the year and the third and forth indicate the week number.
So, in this case, it is a 2011 belt manufactured in week no. 32.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 16:03   #16
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

OK, so that confuses things. The previous owner said they had never been replaced, and the comprehensive service history that came with the car, also has no indication of belts having been replaced. Was a 1 owner car until I bought it. I guess if those numbers are correct can't argue with them.
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 17:24   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
OK, so that confuses things. The previous owner said they had never been replaced, and the comprehensive service history that came with the car, also has no indication of belts having been replaced. Was a 1 owner car until I bought it. I guess if those numbers are correct can't argue with them.
I am very doubtful that the code on which Bob is relying is correct (and I'm pretty sure that I remember the source of his information). This is because the first four digits on my original rear belts are 8385 which makes the explanation a nonsense.

Since your car had only one previous owner John, and comprehensive service history was provided, I'd be inclined to not be deterred from your original understanding.

Simon
Old 26th October 2019, 18:34   #18
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

How are those belts tensioned? Usually, by the time the car has done the service mileage, there is very little of the writing left on them, - worn off by the tensioner (and idler) pulleys.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 19:20   #19
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
How are those belts tensioned? Usually, by the time the car has done the service mileage, there is very little of the writing left on them, - worn off by the tensioner (and idler) pulleys.
There isn’t a tensioner on the rear belts

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 20:22   #20
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Has anyone known a R75/ZT timing belt to fail through old age/high mileage? I have always regularly changed the belts on the cars I've owned, by the way.

Ironically the only time I've had a belt fail was on Citroen BX 1.6 back in the Eighties at 22,000 miles, which I'd owned from new. Fortunately it was a non-interference engine and easily repaired under warranty.