Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th September 2019, 07:11   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeire View Post
i have had noting but trouble with mechanics the larg garages ar worst i find

rob
A good friend who has a company car dropped it in to the main dealer for a service, he struggled to find anywhere to park it so had to leave it with 2 wheels on a curb and at an angle, he was told the service would take 3 hours so he would collect it at the end of the day, when he returned he paid the £300 for the ''full service'' and went to find his car. He was surprised to find it in exactly the same place as he had left it and the engine was cold. He went to the service department and told them they had not serviced it and asked for an explanation. They said they had and when he explained how he new they hadn't they said they must have been a mix up. It was done while he waited in less than an hour and he got a full refund. He was also told the next service would be free.

He told his fleet manager who had suspicions that this garage were doing stuff like this and a memo came out for them not to use that garage again. They now no longer buy that make of vehicle and the garage they are using collects the cars from his place of work.

How much has that cost them for what appeared to be an easy profit?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 08:51   #12
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Trust and lack of knowledge play a part in this.

A family member who "trusts" her former school mate showed me his list of items in the service - it's a petrol vehicle but no spark plugs, and I could clearly see old ones in place. She would accept no questioning nor criticism of him. I saw that a wiper blade would not sit flat on the screen, but it then passed an MOT, carried out by her mechanic's mate. We trust so many people.

I suggested to her that "tyres and their condition" are important when to comes to safety because I noticed that each tyre, originally placed on the vehicle at new, was perished. "My mechanic has told me they are lasting well". Luckily, though months later, the mechanic also saw the cracks in the tread.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 20:31   #13
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Far too many cowboys about I had to work on a customers car today that had been previously been worked on by some idiot cowboy, who thinks he’s a hack mechanic, because he decided to fit rear springs with isolators blocking the waterways on the rear arms

Mick
I see this a lot

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 13:19   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default More disappointing garage experiences

I had a new battery swapped out for an older one when my ZT 260 was brand new. The garage denied it was them but I'm certai it was one of their mechanics who helped themselves and thought it wouldn't be noticed! What can you do except not use them again?
Another large dealer snapped my bonnet cable every time it went in. First time I was charged for labour and parts, second time I was told it was a known weakness and charged again. Third time I changed garages again. Funny how I could open the bonnet all year without breaking the cable myself. Never had a broken cable since leaving them.
Another garage has been much better, but I hit a glitch when it went in for a full service. It was returned with a misfire. I sent it back and it was pronounced fixed for free. I drove a mile and realised it was still misfiring, Back in. They replaced a COP which was billed at almost £300 inc VAT and again pronounced the car cured. I drove 200 yards and turned around and asked a mechanic to accompany me in the car. The mechanic had to admit the misfire was still there but was adamant the COP had been faulty. The part had gone to scrap and couldn't be tested! I gave up and limped home,
Had to fix the misfire myself. (Another story) Thank goodness for this forum
and those who take the time to post their solutions.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 13:36   #15
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default More disappointing garage experiences

I had a new battery swapped out for an older one when my ZT 260 was brand new. The garage denied it was them but I'm certain it was one of their mechanics who helped themselves and thought it wouldn't be noticed! What can you do except not use them again?
Another large dealer snapped my bonnet cable every time it went in. First time I was charged for labour and parts, second time I was told it was a known weakness and charged again. Third time I changed garages again. Funny how I could open the bonnet all year without breaking the cable myself. Never had a broken cable since leaving them.
Another garage has been much better, but I hit a glitch when it went in for a full service. It was returned with a misfire. I sent it back and it was pronounced fixed for free. I drove a mile and realised it was still misfiring, Back in. They replaced a COP which was billed at almost £300 inc VAT and again pronounced the car cured. I drove 200 yards and turned around and asked a mechanic to accompany me in the car. The mechanic had to admit the misfire was still there but was adamant the COP had been faulty. The part had gone to scrap and couldn't be tested! I gave up and limped home,
Had to fix the misfire myself. (Another story) Thank goodness for this forum
and those who take the time to post their solutions.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2019, 13:39   #16
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

When ever possible, stick with the forum mechanics, as they know our cars inside and out. From experience they are honourable and won't rip anyone off. I have a forum mechanic who is fully qualified and he has many years of experience. Yesterday, he completed ABS repairs, T4'd my 75 and then it passed its MOT. The 75 will be 21 next month and I have every confidence in the mechanic, Mr Anonymous

I was saddened to read the OP's experience, but sadly there are cowboys who give the trade a bad name, fortunately, they are in the minority.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote