Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2019, 21:21   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Seems to be the time of year...

Well my car seems to have decided its the right time of year for everything to start going wrong. Only a relatively small thing this time, but I got in the car to go to work and the low washer level light was on. Thought I'd quickly top it up, so rolled the car backwards a bit, then pulled the lever to open the bonnet. And there was a bang and the lever went loose. One of the cables must've snapped! So could someone please PM me the method of getting in to open the bonnet. I'm guessing it will involve the removal of the under tray and/or the wheel arch liner?

Thanks.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 21:35   #2
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Well my car seems to have decided its the right time of year for everything to start going wrong. Only a relatively small thing this time, but I got in the car to go to work and the low washer level light was on. Thought I'd quickly top it up, so rolled the car backwards a bit, then pulled the lever to open the bonnet. And there was a bang and the lever went loose. One of the cables must've snapped! So could someone please PM me the method of getting in to open the bonnet. I'm guessing it will involve the removal of the under tray and/or the wheel arch liner?

Thanks.

Ouch - if it's a snapped cable then it's a hacksaw job - a bit of a pain but doable

there will be better info on here somewhere - here is the thread r.e my issue - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=291534

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:45   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
Ouch - if it's a snapped cable then it's a hacksaw job - a bit of a pain but doable

there will be better info on here somewhere - here is the thread r.e my issue - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=291534

Paul.
Thanks for the reply, it certainly sounded and felt like more of a snap than just popping out the clip.

How do you get to the cables to see which has snapped? Through the wheel arch? If I can check it in the morning before 10, I should have enough time to drive to rimmers before work and then hopefully do it on Sunday.
Old 14th June 2019, 08:59   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Managed to do it through the headlight panel in the wheel arch. The cable for the NS has snapped, and the OF is intact, and has released the pin, but I can't get it to close, so bonnet is only held shut on 1 side at the moment.
Old 14th June 2019, 16:24   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Bob over when your ready Derrick, have bonnet cables here for you, just ring before you do to make sure I am home !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 17:15   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Bob over when your ready Derrick, have bonnet cables here for you, just ring before you do to make sure I am home !
Damn, thanks but I went to rimmers this morning and picked up a pair. Will have a crack at it on Sunday.
Old 15th June 2019, 10:46   #7
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Derrick, are you due to break anything else soon ?
Just to let you know I'm away next week
Old 15th June 2019, 18:40   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I'll try and get it in for it's MoT end of the week so we'll see what else needs doing. I still need to do that trailing arm, but get the feeling the bonnet cables will take most of my time tomorrow!
Old 15th June 2019, 20:56   #9
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

You will need to do the bonnet release cable as if the tester is unable to access engine compartment on pre-test checks, it will be a reason to refuse the test.

I suggest that you will need to drop the bumper off to gain proper access to the slam panel underside where the catches are located. Also worth mentioning - the bolts that secure the catches to the slam panel should NOT be too tight as the action of the mechanisms would be compromised as they would be slightly compressed. Also, only use PTFE type lubricant as the greasing effect will gather up road grit and prevent smooth operation over time. GT85 as used on bicycles !
I am about during the day as its likely to be raining !

Good luck Dude.