Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2014, 18:33   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default iPod questions

I've just bought a secondhand iPod (3rd generation, 32gb) off eBay as a solution to my ongoing woes with attempting to get my Denon Network Player working (see here for the thread about that, which in a nutshell winds up with me discovering an inherit flaw with Windows Vista which stops the music playing once every minute)

So, on to the iPod. This marks a break with tradition for me, as although I've been into computers, computing, phones, music players etc for 30 odd years, I've always fought shy of any Apple related stuff. However, as this seemed to be a means to an end, I had little choice!

Anyway, so far so good. The iPod arrived this morning, and I've got it working as a streamer from our Western Digital server to play music on the Denon, and also managed to get all the tunes we have as mp3's onto the device itself to use as a standalone player and also for direct streaming to the stereo

The questions I have are as follows:-
  • Can anyone recommend a better player than the one native to the iPod, obviously for free or very, very cheap! The current one does work, but it's not overly intuitive to navigate and misses things like track length, remaining playing time etc
  • Battery life. Seems to be running down very quickly Not bashing the processor as I only have the music player and wi-fi running, but it seems to be going down around 10% every ten mins, so will only last around 90 mins at this rate, whereas I've read that it should last a lot longer. Guessing it's 'cos it's a few years old which is understandable, and although the eBay ad said the battery was good, can't really pull them up on this. Are they easy or cheap enough to replace?
  • We need to also use this in the caravan, to plug into our existing CD/DVD player which has an "AUX in" on the front. Can you get cables easily enough for this, and if so, what do I need (fingers crossed, I might already have one!)

One other thing..... Having whacked the CD collection across, I now see I only have 1.5gb of space left! A quick Google suggests this might be enough for another 30 albums and TBH, this means it'll be another couple of years before we buy enough new ones to fill it. However.... We've got quite a few that we already own that we've not ripped so it might not be long at all!

Wish I'd held out for a 64gb model now, so I might be selling this one on ASAP and getting a bigger one! Watch this space........

Last edited by uk_dave&gill; 12th July 2014 at 21:23..
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 14:42   #2
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

No-one got any iPod info to share then?

Think I might sell this one on tbh (had it for all of one day before deciding this! ) Shame, but if I don't, I'll just be worrying about filling it up

Annoyingly, I missed a 64gb model on eBay this morning (by 5 mins) but having said that, although the price was £8 under what my maximum bid would have been, that doesn't necessarily mean that the winning bidder hadn't already put in an offer that would have been more than mine......
Old 13th July 2014, 21:22   #3
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I've used i phones for years, much the same as the pod. Why not get a power lead and connect to the car that'll do away with your battery issue. I've never found the lack of playing time etc to be a problem, i tunes is a pretty good platform for music as it organises it well unlike MP3 players of old
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 21:47   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
I've used i phones for years, much the same as the pod. Why not get a power lead and connect to the car that'll do away with your battery issue. I've never found the lack of playing time etc to be a problem, i tunes is a pretty good platform for music as it organises it well unlike MP3 players of old
To be fair, I'm not really sure that the battery even has a problem - I need to test it by just letting the player play without streaming (ie no wifi) to see how long it lasts. Makes sense though as you say to simply plug it in both at home and in the caravan

Any tips on alternative players or the connect to AUX thing?