Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd September 2018, 19:00   #1
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Default Washing machine expert???

Hello,

Anybody know anything about washing machines?

I have an 12 year old zanussi zwd 16892w that makes a whining noise when on rinses. It almost sounds like the dryer is switching on. Only happens on rinses, there is no grinding or banging.

My guess is drain pump but wouldn't mind a second opinion!

Cheers

Dave
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:06   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I doubt there will be more than one drain pump, so the noise would appear when ever it needed to drain, like at the end of the wash cycle, the rinse cycles and during the spins.

Could it be something trapped between the drum and the outer casing?

Just for information - Ours packed in last week, complaining it couldn't drain/pump out. A bra wire had found its way out of the drum, part way through the filter and into the drainage pump impeller stopping it pumping out.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:57   #3
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

I have to say, I've never had much to do with bras but I didn't know they had wire in them.
Old 3rd September 2018, 21:42   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Personally after 12 years I would not bother trying to fix it, it owes you nothing and when you see what you can buy a new one for these days anything you spend on your old un will mean you feel you need to carry on.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:26   #5
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Personally after 12 years I would not bother trying to fix it, it owes you nothing and when you see what you can buy a new one for these days anything you spend on your old un will mean you feel you need to carry on.
Lol! But I own a 75

I can pick up an OEM pump for under £20 and fitting doesn't look too hard. Everything else is working OK. So in theory for a bit of elbow grease and £20 I get a working machine.

Harry, I'm fairly certain there is nothing catching but I'll strip it down and have a look. I'm wondering if maybe the drain tube is clogged with gunge. The water is being removed from the machine but not with the force it was previously. The evacuation pipe used to move with the force of the water but that doesn't seem to be happening now.
Old 4th September 2018, 05:45   #6
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Chances are if you think its a partial blockage the culprit will have been your conditioner because they make it to thick . Leave out the clothes and put it on its hottest and longest setting . That was the advice i had from a Hotpoint technition .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 08:48   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

I have fixed our present washer drier up around six times since we bought it new. The first time at just over the 12 months old, when it would have cost around £200 to repair, with a PCB design issue. It cost me the grand sum of 20p to fix it and many others have fixed the same machine, using my own fix.

The drier system over heats and sometimes trips the safety stat., which is designed to be replaced rather than reset, at a parts cost of £20 plus labour maybe £100 on top. I devised a way to reset it and I can now reset it in just a few minutes.

The pump has been jammed with bra wires twice (yes, twice ) and other items once. It takes me around an hour to pull the machine out, raise it up in the air onto crates, drain it down, to get to the pump and filter.

I never chuck anything which is faulty out, until I have had a good look at repairing it. My time is free of cost to me, so just parts cost if any are needed and it is an enjoyable learning experience fixing anything.

When eventually it shows some serious wear and tear, we will buy a new one, but at the moment it seems good as when it was bought new.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 08:56   #8
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have fixed our present washer drier up around six times since we bought it new. The first time at just over the 12 months old, when it would have cost around £200 to repair, with a PCB design issue. It cost me the grand sum of 20p to fix it and many others have fixed the same machine, using my own fix.

The drier system over heats and sometimes trips the safety stat., which is designed to be replaced rather than reset, at a parts cost of £20 plus labour maybe £100 on top. I devised a way to reset it and I can now reset it in just a few minutes.

The pump has been jammed with bra wires twice (yes, twice ) and other items once. It takes me around an hour to pull the machine out, raise it up in the air onto crates, drain it down, to get to the pump and filter.

I never chuck anything which is faulty out, until I have had a good look at repairing it. My time is free of cost to me, so just parts cost if any are needed and it is an enjoyable learning experience fixing anything.

When eventually it shows some serious wear and tear, we will buy a new one, but at the moment it seems good as when it was bought new.
i am with you harry on this one .
our old washer dryer died on us.that just needed a new pump obtained quite cheaply online which i fitted.just a couple of hose clips a plug and three screws.this lasted a couple of years before the inlet solenoid valves went so fitted a new set of them.this gave the machine several extra years of life for just a bit of time and effort.after ten years of sterling service the main pcb went pcb repairs are beyond me.and as you pointed out horrendous price so it this point i bought new machine.

Last edited by suffolk boy; 4th September 2018 at 08:59..
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 13:02   #9
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Right then! Stripped the machine down this morning, cleaned out all the tubes, gave the pumps a once over and found nothing untoward.

Fitted back together and fired the machine up. The pumps are working perfectly. The problem appears to be the belt driven air blower for the dryer part of the machine.

I have to confess I have never, ever used it before so I have no idea what it should sound like.

Checked for bearing play in the fan housing and couldn't feel any at all. It maybe that the drying aspect is quite whiney and loud

However, it doesn't explain why this kicks in for approx 2 minutes when the rinses start. I've drawn a blank on web searches. I might just have to live with it until it finally dies.
Old 4th September 2018, 18:40   #10
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post

The Stat usually trips because of a partial blockage of the condenser tube, does it on mine from time to time.

Bit of a Pita but removing the conderser tube and removing the blockage usually does the trick until the next time

What model is yours Harry?

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote