Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th March 2019, 10:17   #11
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Looking back to when I drove HGV's gearboxes had 8,12 and 16 ratios. Clutch up and down all day. Now every vehicle is auto and much less stressful.
Old 24th March 2019, 10:38   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Manual every time without fail, I really disliked the automatic I had in terms of cruise control behaviour, and the fact it always felt like a manual car with a slipping clutch.

Plus my wife won't drive an automatic

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 11:56   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

After a lifetime of playing football, rugby and ice hockey and suffering many knee injuries plus factoring in a trade as a gas engineer ( virtually all plumbers and gas engineers have bad knees from crawling about and bending pipe over their knees)

Getting an auto was a great decision for me. My left knee pain that flared up on a regular basis and was getting quite bad especially when driving diminished to next to nothing and after a lifetime of driving many thousands of miles during my working career making millions of gear changes I simply had enough of changing gear on the car.

Mix in the increasing stop start nature of driving these days as our roads grind to a halt with congestion and I'd never swap back and can't believe that I didn't get an auto years and years ago.

The fact that I had changed the clutch on my first 75 at almost the same time as my mate whose clutch on his 75 went again 13 months later finally prompted the decision to switch to an auto and I now cruise about like Lord Muck almost pitying the peasants messing about with those stubby stick things poking out of the transmission tunnel on their cars.

But its each to their own I suppose and all down to personal preference. Might be worth booking one of those showroom test drives on an auto (even a weekend trial) if serious about considering switching and seeing how you get on.

Last edited by bendrick; 24th March 2019 at 12:12..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 13:14   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have an auto and manuals in my fleet. I can honestly say that the gearbox type has never affected my enjoyment of any of the cars.

For me, if the engine was 2.0 litre or smaller, it will always be a manual. Anything over 2.5 litres and the preference will be for an auto.

I'd say base your decision on the condition of the car rather than the gearbox type - the former is far more likely to impact the enjoyment factor.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 16:21   #15
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Looking back to when I drove HGV's gearboxes had 8,12 and 16 ratios. Clutch up and down all day. Now every vehicle is auto and much less stressful.
Those were the days

Semi automatic 12 speed twin splitter and 3 reverse, also had a Volvo with 16 forward gears taking into account Hi/Lo ratio.

Auto would be my preference
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 16:22   #16
marti666
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

I've had both, currently have a auto the reason changed was I found while towing the tin tent that on hilly sections of the journey I was changing gears a lot or if stuck in traffic seem to be having to dip the clutch slot so on a long journey became tiring. Yes the manuals do have better mpg around town but on a longer journey it becomes less apparent.

• This vehicle was the 25,127th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
• This vehicle was the 1,317th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
• This vehicle was the 61st 75 Tourer in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 353 Platinum Gold 75 Tourers
• Born Thursday 9th September 2004 @ 08:24:28
marti666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 17:08   #17
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

manual any day for me . only drove automatic once ad didnt like it rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 17:29   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Thats one of the reasons so many women drive lorries now. Auto gears,assisted steering ( no standing up feet pressing into the floor to turn the steering wheel). Assisted clutch. Wish I had just started my hgv driving career. And yes, I would like an auto diesel 75 now, because my ankle is slowly going to the dogs. Took my son a Mercedes 320 slk over to Germany,auto box, it was heaven.
Old 24th March 2019, 18:36   #19
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

sold my manual diesel for a auto.plus points the box suits the engine torque well relaxing to drive .downside slightly higher fuel consumption and more tax but i do not care as far as i am concerned its worth it.auto all the way from now on
Old 24th March 2019, 19:08   #20
Hopeso13
Regular poster

None at the moment

Thank you to everyone for their input.

I wasn't aware that the auto cost more to road tax, however that wouldn't be a mark against getting an auto.

I would agree it will depend on the condition of the car as as whole. I hope to find a low mileage and well maintained tourer with a diesel engine at a fair price.

However it will mean travelling across the Irish sea to the mainland to find a suitable car.
Hopeso13 is offline   Reply With Quote