Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2012, 17:13   #1
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Default Cooling Fan Internals

Does anyone have a photo of the inside of the lid of a cooling fan? I ask because mine looks like some sort of phosphor bronze bush and some sort of felt pad although this has mostly disappeared allowing the 'bush' to rattle in the pressed steel housing.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 20:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I interpret the 'inside lid of the fan' to be the motor casing end plate which houses the shaft bearings. These are phosphor bronze and I'd guess the felt pad is the lubricating pad. The bearings shouldn't rattle because they are held under tension with an annular spring. It sounds like you should be thinking about a replacement fan system. Are you attempting to fix the motor brushes?

TC.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:47   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the inside of the lid of a cooling fan? I ask because mine looks like some sort of phosphor bronze bush and some sort of felt pad although this has mostly disappeared allowing the 'bush' to rattle in the pressed steel housing.
Hi Ade
below you will find what mine looked like before i chnaged it for a two speed fan with gold resistor Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 12:32   #4
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I interpret the 'inside lid of the fan' to be the motor casing end plate which houses the shaft bearings. These are phosphor bronze and I'd guess the felt pad is the lubricating pad. The bearings shouldn't rattle because they are held under tension with an annular spring. It sounds like you should be thinking about a replacement fan system. Are you attempting to fix the motor brushes?

TC.
That's what I meant, yes. The brushes have been replaced and the fan was run on the bench before fitment, without checking the pcb & relays. The fan when spun by hand is a bit notchy/stiff but does have free spots where it moves nicely. Thing is, is this the new brushes on the commutator not bedded in or the phosphor bronze bearing in the lid? Incidentally now the fan is back in the car it doesn't work off the air con panel, so it seems the pcb/relays maybe the problem. It's going for a T4 session tomorrow. Watch this space, might need a new fan, hope not.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:35   #5
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Arctic, my fan internals were black but not disintegrated like yours.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:54   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
That's what I meant, yes. The brushes have been replaced and the fan was run on the bench before fitment, without checking the pcb & relays. The fan when spun by hand is a bit notchy/stiff but does have free spots where it moves nicely. Thing is, is this the new brushes on the commutator not bedded in or the phosphor bronze bearing in the lid? Incidentally now the fan is back in the car it doesn't work off the air con panel, so it seems the pcb/relays maybe the problem. It's going for a T4 session tomorrow. Watch this space, might need a new fan, hope not.
The phosphor bronze bearing in the lid is a sintered bearing. It is porous to allow oil to pass through it. Maybe it has dried out. The pad next to it must be oiled before re-assembly which is maybe why it is not running freely.

If there is too much movement ( loose bearing in its housing. ) then the armature might touch the field coils and cause friction there.

Colvert.

Last edited by COLVERT; 17th August 2012 at 13:26..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 13:23   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The fan when spun by hand is a bit notchy/stiff but does have free spots where it moves nicely.
What you've described here sounds normal. I think you might be worrying unnecessarily about the bearing. When I re-brushed my motor I didn't do anything to the bearing, and I've had no trouble since.
Quote:
... is this the new brushes on the commutator not bedded in ...
I can't see how that would result in "notchy/stiff with free spots". Did your new brushes have a concave contact surface to match the commutator by the way?
Quote:
... now the fan is back in the car it doesn't work off the air con panel, so it seems the pcb/relays maybe the problem ... might need a new fan, hope not.
Replacement PCBs are available from Jules. Relays are available too. Absolutely no need to buy a new fan. You said that it ran satisfactorily on the bench, so the motor must be o.k. I doubt that the T4 will pinpoint the fault; it will just say that the slow/medium/fast speed is inoperative which you know already.

Keep us posted. I recently helped another member diagnose a PCB fault. His fan would never stop running!

Simon.
Old 18th August 2012, 16:06   #8
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Does anyone know the lane 'Wits End'? Well I am at the end of it, threaders to use navy slang. PCB & relays replaced with, told 'good ones, fully working'. Yep no fan, no air con, same as before. There must be a wiring fault between air con panel & fan/air con compressor. Completely stuck now.
T4 session did as SD1 said & confirmed no fan but I'd hoped the relays & pcb would have sorted it. Going for a beer I've had enough of this pile of tat.
Old 18th August 2012, 17:51   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Going for a beer I've had enough of this pile of tat.
You don't mean that really do you.

Are you sure there's enough gas in the aircon system to actually allow it to operate? No gas, no fan, no nothing.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 20:03   #10
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

New condensor, system leak checked, regassed & functionally tested. I think I have 2 problems because the aircon doesn't flash up full stop. It should run up without the fan, then switch off if the fan doesn't run up. Snags continue.