Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2022, 11:07   #1
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Default Condensation not rain in saloon boot.

Water in the boot of saloons - it seems condensation on the cold metal of the inside of the rear wing, (where the area is bigger than we may imagine as it goes from the rear lights all the way past the hinges and up into the D pillars by the rear passenger doors) is another source of water into the boot. Far more than is easy to imagine.

Today on a cold winters morning I carefully worked my arm into the inside of the top of the rear wing to reach towards the D pillars and all of the inside metal of the rear wing was very wet indeed with absolutely the heaviest condensation I could imagine.

I have containers placed to catch water inside each rear wing and when it does not rain am collecting about an egg cup per side every 24 hours. Two egg cups a day for for a week is a lot of water.

I had heavily used Capt Tolley's crack cure as a blue dye to see if it would leak into the boot and so learning the leak is condensation fits.

For those new to dealing with Rover 75 saloon boot leaks the starting points are the rear light seals, rear wing air vents and clips at the bottom of the rear windscreen and for example seams of metal or holes near the hinges. Some find renewing the trim/finisher around the rear windscreen is a cure. Other paint inside the upper parts of the boot with waxoyl where I suppose I now need to consider whether waxoyl high up inside eh rear wings may help cure condensation.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 14:50   #2
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Getting more used to the layout of inside the top of the saloon rear wing , I can now get my arm to go inside the very top of the rear wing and along into the D pillar and my hand starts to go down a tube area where the rear passenger door lock receiver is. And this heavy condensation in that area also matches up with reports of the rear sills filling with water. I am guessing going by what users of self build campervans do, that I will need to do something to deal with the condensation in this area.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 17:28   #3
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I have noticed that in my saloon, the two outermost rear screen clips will leak water directly into that area, also water on the inside of the rear screen can run down into the boot, especially if you have a wet carpet. A good indication is a lot of moisturise building up on the inside of the glass.

Lee.

P.S My wet carpet was only discovered after Big Russ pulled off the lower A pillar cover and water flew off it. Must have been wet for months judging by the damage to the foam and a few rusty coloured spot around the floor. Worth a check mate.

Last edited by Lee T; 11th December 2022 at 18:03..
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote