Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2015, 08:17   #1
Shawn
Banned

Connoisseur SE MK2 diesel auto

Default Friend wants a 160 tune but can't justify the cost,is there anyway to get one cheap?

He has a £600 car and the rate that's currently being charged of £120 is too much compared.I dare say its been this price from when the 75's were new and needs to be adjusted.
Am I right in thinking that a £25 T4 diagnostic involves as much work as a remap?
Are remaps done at a club meet cheaper?
Old 15th August 2015, 08:36   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Tell you what. Why not send me details of your friends address and I'll send a cheque to you for £25, in fact I'll even drive right to their door all the way from North of Scotland to do the 160 map for you.

Last edited by Lovel; 15th August 2015 at 08:39..
Old 15th August 2015, 08:43   #3
Shawn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Tell you what. Why not send me details of your friends address and I'll send a cheque to you for £25, in fact I'll even drive right to their door all the way from North of Scotland to do the 160 map for you.
Well that makes as much sense as the current remap pricing !
I know I'm kicking a hornets nest here but I'm right.
The emperor has no clothes.
Old 15th August 2015, 08:51   #4
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I would guess that BigRuss is probably closest but for £25 I don't think you would get a remap
Old 15th August 2015, 08:57   #5
Shawn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
I would guess that BigRuss is probably closest but for £25 I don't think you would get a remap
I'm not saying that,"I" think £50 would be more reasonable given the current price of a car.
What I'm also saying is that a diagnostic is £25 and the same amount of work is carried out "as far as I can make out". No one is telling me I'm wrong there!
The first comment was more along the lines of shut up don't give the game away
Old 15th August 2015, 09:03   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I'm not saying that,"I" think £50 would be more reasonable given the current price of a car.
What I'm also saying is that a diagnostic is £25 and the same amount of work is carried out "as far as I can make out". No one is telling me I'm wrong there!
The first comment was more along the lines of shut up don't give the game away
You are paying for the T4 guys on here for their expertise, remember they also wrote all the programming etc and developed this, it's not just about sticking it on and job done!

It also has nothing to do with the value of the cars, it's hardly their fault how much the cars are valued .

We are an electronics retail and repair shop, my rates for repair remain the same regardless of the value of the product needing attention
Old 15th August 2015, 09:07   #7
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

You should try ebay for a quality remap. It takes time for professional people to do a professional job, especially on something so important as an ECU.

Cars are not cheap to run. Period. Fuel costs £70 a tank or thereabouts. Insurance is £100's to £1,000's. Road tax is around £265 ish a year.

This price is cheap compared to what other remappers charge. Usually around the £300 mark.

Remapping is not an ordinary "service" item, so you need a car well serviced and in tip top condition for it to run successfully. Doing it on the very cheap is not a good start.

I think the price is very good value for money.
Old 15th August 2015, 09:08   #8
MGBJM
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Not sure these things are normally discussed in open forum, but I think your friend needs to be a little bit realistic
If you buy a car for £600 then unfortunatly things will be expensive alongside it- but I don't think National Tyres for example would give you a discount just because a new set of rubber is three quarters of the cost of your car
Your friend could sell his car of course and buy one for 2 or 3K, then the maths might look a bit better!

Also of course from what I can tell from here the guys spent time and talent developing the product for the car, so I guess it's right to charge for it.

Last edited by MGBJM; 15th August 2015 at 09:11.. Reason: Forgot to add last bit. D'oh!
Old 15th August 2015, 09:24   #9
badrover
Gets stuck in

75 club se tourer,75 cdt tourer connie se, 75 dealer launch

He may have bought a bargain 75 for £600 however If it's anything like most £600 cars he'd be better off saving his £25 and spending it on something worthwhile. Something that will help it through its next mot or ensuring that it's in a safe, roadworthy condition. I'm not being awkward, just thinking sensibly. I love the 160 remap and had it done to mine. If he's running on a budget, live with the pedestrian progress, enjoy the luxury and keep it safe!

Also I'm no expert on car electronics. I'm more of a mechanical and body work guy but for the Marinabrian service I received, it's a bargain in my opinion. We should support these guys for their great work! Things cost what they cost. You wouldn't expect to get a cheaper price on a clutch replacement just because the car is old and of low value. It would cost the same to get the clutch done in a high miles T Reg 75 classic worth £300, as it would for the same job in an 05 reg contemp se worth £3000.

Last edited by badrover; 15th August 2015 at 09:33..
Old 15th August 2015, 09:35   #10
Shawn
Banned

Its not a case of can't afford!
But not willing to pay!
Its a nice thought that each T4 operator wrote all the code for the ECU but that is not true.
Most likely a T4 was picked up cheap along with an old laptop and some programme disks acquired.

You'll be all glad to know that the offer of a £50 remap has been made.
Thank you all for your concerns
Closed Thread