Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd September 2014, 12:03   #91
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
Me and my 75 reggie plate say NAE Independence.
I see what you did there hehe
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:08   #92
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Sat watching #ScotDecides on ITV,and I am even more confused about it, than I was before.. the reasons seem vast. From child poverty, bedroom tax, war costs, to Oil revenue......
Its not an easy call, but for me Westminster has been out of control for a long time now.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:45   #93
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

I think its a fantastic social experiment, looking from the outside in (as an Englishman) I cant wait to see how it all plays out long term, I am hoping for the best for Scotland should it happen, but fear the worse for the rest of the remaining UK should the maths and guesswork all be wrong.

To keep with Scooterchicks analogy, I do agree that independence should mean independence, not independence with an alimony agreement and don't come back looking for an on off relationship

Good luck which ever way you vote.

Simon
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:48   #94
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/...rth-trillions/

Who needs Standard Life anyway!

All joking aside, the Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland are both capable of supporting a stand alone Scottish pound. The Scottish economy is set to boom and the currency issue doesn't worry me one little bit.
How do you know the Scottish economy is about to boom - I trade currency internationally daily and ALL the international currency traders expect the UK AND Scotland to be worse off straight away?

European Commissioner Ollie Rehn, yesterday, said that if a restructured Scotland kept the pound then it would be unable to join the EU. So, YES voters, do we keep the pound or join the EU ?
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:03   #95
kourgath
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Location: On the Border between Cornwall and Devon, near Tavistock

One thing that made me laugh was yesterday watching a debate on TV and this lady stood up and said she was voting yes as she had not voted for the government in Westminster. Well that's democracy dearie! Most people didn't vote for the government... Anyway I live I Cornwall so we want independence next :-)
kourgath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:04   #96
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Similar to the independence enjoyed by France, Germany, Belgium, Holland etc. I suspect.
Last time I checked they were independent countries despite being in currency union

What will be will be. In the event of a yes vote ( and that's a Yes from me) there will be difficulties ahead but none of them insurmountable.
In the event of a No vote then there will also be difficulties ahead, different ones I grant you but still difficulties some of which are horrifying.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:10   #97
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Similar to the independence enjoyed by France, Germany, Belgium, Holland etc. I suspect.
Last time I checked they were independent countries despite being in currency union

What will be will be. In the event of a yes vote ( and that's a Yes from me) there will be difficulties ahead but none of them insurmountable.
In the event of a No vote then there will also be difficulties ahead, different ones I grant you but still difficulties some of which are horrifying.
What difficulties do you think will be "horrifying" ?
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:17   #98
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

First and foremost the increasing liklihood of withdrawing from Europe.
A number of political reasons I cannot post, the continued funding of weapons of mass destruction, the liklihood of Scottish funding being reduced and so on

None of the above are insurmountable
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:34   #99
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Fiscal unity without political unity was a major contributor to the collapse of the Euro.

That is why the Eurozone has no choice but to centralise further in order to successfully manage the currency. The Eurozone nations will need to give Brussels authority to regulate their tax and spending policies.

In other words, they have no option but to surrender sovereignty to make their money work. Scotland would need to do the same if it were to keep the pound.

I work for a global top 10 foreign bank within the Capital Markets division. This has been discussed at some length.
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:59   #100
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourgath View Post
One thing that made me laugh was yesterday watching a debate on TV and this lady stood up and said she was voting yes as she had not voted for the government in Westminster. Well that's democracy dearie! Most people didn't vote for the government... Anyway I live I Cornwall so we want independence next :-)
But it's not democracy. Scotland, collectively, as a country, have NEVER voted for a Tory government yet for something like 35 years out of the last 51 that's what we've had to endure. It's not democracy in Scotland. We only get the government we vote for if England happens to be in agreement at that specific moment in time!