Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2019, 14:54   #31
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
Hands up, we installed a wood burner in our London suburb home and most of the wood we burn is locally sourced either from our garden or those of our neighbours. It is DEFRA approved for use in smokeless zones so assume it is not outputting too much rubbish

Sent from IBM360/30 using PL1
Burning unseasoned wet wood is the worst thing you can do other than contaminated scrap wood, i.e. painted or MDF etc.. Wet wood produces more smoke and far more particulate and will be well over the limits. Being a DEFRA stove will not compensate.

The wood should be clean, seasoned for a minimum of three years to dry it out sufficiently and or kiln dried, i.e. put through a heat drying process. Anything else will be the total opposite too being green and limiting pollution. This is why particulate pollution is rising more than expected. Ill informed people thinking they are doing a good thing for the environment and their pockets but actually the opposite. The green lobbies who pushed log burners expected the users to burn the correct stuff. Scrap wood and unseasoned garden cuttings etc. are free and dried wood is not and can be more expensive than gas. Further to this wet and contaminated wood produce tar as well as soot which does not brush away when sweeping, which should be done twice a year. This tar is the main cause of the increasing incidents of chimney fires, which could result in total loss of the house and life, and again these fires increase pollution.

To produce the best calorific value i.e. burn hotter and longer, the best products are kiln dried of well seasoned hard wood. Burning hard wood also has its ecological questions; should this type of wood be cut down and used just to burn? Soft wood, pine for example, burns faster but produces lower temperatures, so dry clean scrap wood isn't as hot and you actually need more of it. Wet wood needs more of the energy in its combustion to be used drying it out and so therefore is nothing like as hot in additions to the other increased pollution disadvantages.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 16:08   #32
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

These are the countries/activities that have the highest fossil fuel generated CO2 emissions from highest to lowest - China, USA, India, Russia, Japan, Germany, Canada, International shipping, Iran, South Korea, Indonesia, International aviation, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Turkey and in 19th place with a contribution of 1% the world's total - UK. Canada is at 1.5%. NOTHING you in the UK or we in Canada do will have any measurable impact on the reduction of CO2 emissions in the world. It is the largest emitters who can make a difference and income is too important for them to make any changes of significance - no matter what people say when they meet in Paris.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 17:43   #33
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
These are the countries/activities that have the highest fossil fuel generated CO2 emissions from highest to lowest - China, USA, India, Russia, Japan, Germany, Canada, International shipping, Iran, South Korea, Indonesia, International aviation, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Turkey and in 19th place with a contribution of 1% the world's total - UK. Canada is at 1.5%. NOTHING you in the UK or we in Canada do will have any measurable impact on the reduction of CO2 emissions in the world. It is the largest emitters who can make a difference and income is too important for them to make any changes of significance - no matter what people say when they meet in Paris.

Like tesco says, every little helps

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 17:46   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post

You need to be careful with the conclusion above.

Country Fossil fuel CO2 emissions (kt) in 2015[8] % Fossil fuel CO2 emissions by country Emissions per capita (t) in 2015[9] Emissions (kg) per $1,000 of GDP (2010 US$) in 2014[10] World 36,061,710 100% 4.9 490.8 China 10,641,789 29.51% 7.7 1235 United States 5,172,336 14.34% 16.1 324.2 India 2,454,968 6.81% 1.9 1051.5 Russia 1,760,895 4.88% 12.3 999.4 Japan 1,252,890 3.47% 9.9 205.2 Germany 777,905 2.16% 9.6 197.4

If you consider how much each of the top three producers emit and where most of the goods that we in the UK purchase are manufactured, it is possile for the UK citizens to make a difference by changing our purchasing behaviours.

Last edited by MSS; 17th January 2019 at 17:48..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 21:45   #35
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

I know nothing about fuels etc just switch the gas on when I need heating, although it's off at the moment.

But I have decided my next car should be gas guzzling, highly polluting monster!
A Rover V8
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 23:24   #36
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

...but delete your post before Brian sees it...
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 16:59   #37
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
Burning unseasoned wet wood is the worst thing you can do other than contaminated scrap wood, i.e. painted or MDF etc.. Wet wood produces more smoke and far more particulate and will be well over the limits. Being a DEFRA stove will not compensate.

The wood should be clean, seasoned for a minimum of three years to dry it out sufficiently and or kiln dried, i.e. put through a heat drying process. Anything else will be the total opposite too being green and limiting pollution. This is why particulate pollution is rising more than expected. Ill informed people thinking they are doing a good thing for the environment and their pockets but actually the opposite. The green lobbies who pushed log burners expected the users to burn the correct stuff. Scrap wood and unseasoned garden cuttings etc. are free and dried wood is not and can be more expensive than gas. Further to this wet and contaminated wood produce tar as well as soot which does not brush away when sweeping, which should be done twice a year. This tar is the main cause of the increasing incidents of chimney fires, which could result in total loss of the house and life, and again these fires increase pollution.

To produce the best calorific value i.e. burn hotter and longer, the best products are kiln dried of well seasoned hard wood. Burning hard wood also has its ecological questions; should this type of wood be cut down and used just to burn? Soft wood, pine for example, burns faster but produces lower temperatures, so dry clean scrap wood isn't as hot and you actually need more of it. Wet wood needs more of the energy in its combustion to be used drying it out and so therefore is nothing like as hot in additions to the other increased pollution disadvantages.
Dear SunRob,

I do know what wood to burn and indeed the little wood we buy in comes from Richmond Park so both local and very sustainable! No need to store wood for for three years. Alsong as you split it, it should be ready in a year and this is easy to prove with a moisture meter. Finally I know we are burning efficiently as we have our chimney swept very other year and the sweep always comments on how little soot their is.

Dear Grivas

We have had no global warming got the last 20 odd years despite CO2 increases. The sea level has risen 0.7 inches in the lat 100 years. Al Gore and many other climate change zealots, claimed the ice cap at the North Pole would melt within 10 years. He stated this is 2000 - still no lack of ice at the pole and it is increasing at the South.

Global warming is con on the gullible and the naive perpetrated by the members of the climate change industry who are determined to maintain their long haul trips to conferences and indeed pay them copious "research" grants. CO2 is a wonderful gas and essential to life on Earth. I am sure man is partly responsible for the increase CO2 but it is not causing warming.

A bit of a diversion from what car to get next!
Old 18th January 2019, 18:18   #38
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

A valid point Maninder but these top three producers are very very large consumers so the 1% has a relevance that cannot be ignored. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote