Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2019, 16:14   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default New rear upper arms fitted.

After my mot tester advised my upper arms were starting to look a bit crusty but nothing to panic about I finally got them ordered and delivered and fitting kits (thanks DMGRS).

The garage I use are happy to fit supplied parts and unlike some, happy to work on MGR's.

Just got it back, they said it wasn't the easiest job in the world, and the subframe bolts were a "fight", but got them out without snapping the captive nuts off (they used an inductive heater to help free them).

While they had the arms off I asked them to inspect the drop links and also replace if not tip-top which they did.

So (not including the arms and fitting kits) 3hrs Labour and a pair of drop links £237 inc VAT and old arms and drop links in the boot !!!!!!

So overall, not at all unhappy as to what it could have cost.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 16:25   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I'll probably be looking at having the same done too after this years MOT. If they pass, then next year. I've also got an 'independent' who does the major stuff, he doesn't mind working on the car at all, and I always supply the parts. My last 75 (a Mk1) was scrapped needing those arms, a power steering pump and an MOT, decided it wasn't worth it. It had 175k on the clock which wasn't the deciding factor, it was just tired.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 19:39   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Well done finding a garage who has the knowledge and patience to battle the captive nuts.

They can be troublesome little swines.
Old 17th January 2019, 20:42   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'd be interested to know how they employed an inductive heater on the pivot bolts....the access shall we say is somewhat "limited"

Anyway a result all the same, so are you planning on applying any rust preventative to the new arms?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 11:10   #5
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I'd be interested to know how they employed an inductive heater on the pivot bolts....the access shall we say is somewhat "limited"

Anyway a result all the same, so are you planning on applying any rust preventative to the new arms?

Brian
Im intending to coat the cavities with waxoyle , the outsides i'm in two minds to also waxoyle or coat with underseal.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 16:34   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
Im intending to coat the cavities with waxoyle , the outsides i'm in two minds to also waxoyle or coat with underseal.
I would get it done quickly what ever you do, as there is no protection whatsoever inside the new arms......just a light coating of flaky black paint and lots of rust if you leave them

The new arm supplier is going to dip the next run of arms to ensure total coverage

Brian
Old 20th January 2019, 16:36   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:

The new arm supplier is going to dip the next run of arms to ensure total coverage
That's good news Bri, hopefully they will last a bit longer!
Old 20th January 2019, 21:34   #8
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
I would get it done quickly what ever you do, as there is no protection whatsoever inside the new arms......just a light coating of flaky black paint and lots of rust if you leave them
Brian

This has got me thinking about my 'spare' car which I keep mot'd. It obviously had new upper and lower arms shortly before I bought it two years back. Should I strip down the rear suspension to grit blast and treat these components before serious rust sets in, assuming it hasn't already. But trying to do this job outside in the winter isn't a pleasant prospect, and if I suddenly need the spare car as a result of unexpected failure of the daily 75..........
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 21:37   #9
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Not saying this is the best stuff, but I've just covered the inside of the arms I fitted a few months ago with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Dinit...MAAOSwSFVboR4J

Did the arms and sills, for under £40, seemed ok.

Used this to cover the outside as they appear poorly protected in the outside as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-...MAAOSwmudaCvMg

I am not changing them again, so will treat them every year or two to make sure they last.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 22:24   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
This has got me thinking about my 'spare' car which I keep mot'd. It obviously had new upper and lower arms shortly before I bought it two years back. Should I strip down the rear suspension to grit blast and treat these components before serious rust sets in, assuming it hasn't already. But trying to do this job outside in the winter isn't a pleasant prospect, and if I suddenly need the spare car as a result of unexpected failure of the daily 75..........
I'll let you decide how I would answer that question

The new arms were not fitted prior to treatment, both in shaping, welding, then shot blasting courtesy of a good friend, then painting first in Bonda anti rust primer, followed by four coats of chassis black, followed by a good dose of cavity wax.

The supplied coating is fairly......how can I say this........oh yes cack

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4080.jpg (134.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4081.jpg (132.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4091.jpg (131.1 KB, 91 views)