Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2019, 10:18   #1
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts
Default Dog Tranquillisers

Anybody got experience of using doggy tranquillisers? One of the girls, Poppy (Pops), gets absolutely hysterical when being groomed especially when it comes to her belly, legs and feet. Last time she was done the groomer, who has a reputation for being able to calm nervous dogs, had to keep stopping to let her calm down as he "thought her head was going to explode!". Says he's never come across a dog as bad as her and she needs some kind of tranquilliser to chill her. She's always been funny about touching her legs and feet, other groomers have had problems with her, even lying on my lap she'll pull her feet away if I touch them.

The other girls are fine about being groomed, Suzy doesn't give a toss, she's laid back about life in general and even Maya who has just had her first clip was ok about it.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 10:44   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sadly, we used to have to dope our dog, even for a nail trim; part of the problem we found also was trying to get him to swallow the darned tablet. Eventually the only way was for us to do as much as we could ourselves, but that meant I had to ambush him and wrap a rug round him.
Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 10:55   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Tried grooming her ourselves but she gets just as psyched out with us. Wrapping her in a rug isn't really a practical option when trying to trim her coat I'd prefer to find something that would temporarily chill her out. Just had a reply from the vet, there are options but they'd need to see her first. She's due again back end of next month so need to go in sometime between now and then.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 15:45   #4
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

One of our pooches totally freaks out when it's that silly time of year ... 5th November (or any other continuous loud noise) so we bought some mild doggy tranquilizers, hid it in his food and in 10 minutes he was just wobbling around like he was drunk which was stressing him out even more as he just couldn't walk properly and kept losing his balance, it was quite sad to watch tbh, so we elected to just keep hold of him so he knew he was safe, didn't stop him freaking out over the noise though.
In your case I think the only thing you can do is restrain him as best you can without causing him anymore undue stress, difficult as it will be... I think it's preferable to the drugs tbh.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 16:19   #5
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

my dog dont like cars so when i need to go to the vet i spray adaptil dog calming spray on the blanket of the back seat and it works well . you got to spray it at least half an hour before you set of . its pricey about 25 quid a bottle but it works . its got something to do with hormones or something like that and makes the dog quite calm it last for about 2 hours . hope this helps rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote