Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2023, 10:57   #1
Terry00H

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Check engine light / dash lights.

Hi all , yesterday my dash board lights were not working .The blower ,radio and external lights worked but inside the speedometer fuel gauge and reverse sensor were not working along with the internal indicator flashes. Today without me doing anything they all work fine as I went for a short test drive. The check engine light is now on for the drive .I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the problem could be before I take it to be looked over by someone with a T4. Thanks all.
Terry00H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2023, 18:38   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Terry,

I'd start by checking that your plenum isn't full of rainwater.

Simon
Old 14th November 2023, 16:02   #3
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

If it is a diesel and you have an FBH fitted, cut the red/white wire to pin 2 of the 6 pin plug, this is only the diagnostics wire, that affects nothing, but can cause havoc with the BUS, not a fault, just a very old design and development flaw.
Old 15th November 2023, 07:30   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry00H View Post
Hi all , yesterday my dash board lights were not working .The blower ,radio and external lights worked but inside the speedometer fuel gauge and reverse sensor were not working along with the internal indicator flashes. Today without me doing anything they all work fine as I went for a short test drive. The check engine light is now on for the drive .I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the problem could be before I take it to be looked over by someone with a T4. Thanks all.
Sounds like a K bus fault. A T4 will be useless for diagnosing that. You need to unplug everything on the K bus 1 by 1 until the issue is sorted, start with any highline navigation and FBH.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 16:25   #5
Terry00H

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Unsure but the fault has disappeared

Hi,
I’ve an update of sorts and I would like to thank you for the replies . The fault is really beyond my knowledge to solve so I decided to have it checked over by Kevin at the Rover Centre in Wickford who has a T4 .

Before taking it over the faulty dashboard started working and the check engine light went off. The T4 showed that there was a fault with the dashboard and a miss fire .Kevin deleted the codes and re ran the test and there was no issue everything was fine. Kevin said that if it happens again the dashboard would have to be sent away for testing other than that its unknown what the cause was.Kevin said it could be a component in the dash board on the way out as the cars are getting old now and or moister getting in somewhere. I will just have to wait and see if anything develops. I think sometimes it’s better to hold back from jumping in looking for a repair because without a T4 it can be difficult and in this case it may well be a one of glitch all I can do is wait and see.

Thanks again!
Old 13th December 2023, 15:26   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry00H View Post
Hi,
I’ve an update of sorts and I would like to thank you for the replies . The fault is really beyond my knowledge to solve so I decided to have it checked over by Kevin at the Rover Centre in Wickford who has a T4 .

Thanks again!
Do you have a telephone number for him Terry?
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2023, 18:32   #7
Terry00H

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Phone number

I’ve just sent a message.