Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2007, 08:16   #11
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Seriously Keith rightly points out a full list of the things that could go wrong and that are worth checking if considering buying. As he also says they are great cars and well worth owning
Old 10th April 2007, 08:18   #12
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Phew! glad I got a 75
Wot I'm in the Process of getting a second one (well SWMBO is if she ever finds the one she wants, very particular).

Keith's summary is an "Very Honest" worse case, but what to look out for on buying, as you will also find many other Members that would say the Opposite. All cars have their own Quirks and ours are no different, but I believe you will be more than happy with a Purchase.

Try one First, Preferably with service History and Receipts, and you will be Hooked.

75's I would say personally are more comfortable purely due to the Softer Suspension, but I am a couple of years older!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 08:24   #13
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

WOW thanks again.

I have seen a 02 plate zt 2.5 160, 88000 miles for sale at £4500 garage sale.

Gonna have alook at it today, stupid question but.. anything to look for at that mileage apart from what has been discussed? Its a few more miles than i would ideally like but as i said i only drive 5000k mils a year.

Many thanks for the help
Dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 08:32   #14
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacman View Post
WOW thanks again.

Gonna have alook at it today, stupid question but.. anything to look for at that mileage apart from what has been discussed? Its a few more miles than i would ideally like but as i said i only drive 5000k mils a year.

Many thanks for the help
You are close to a £500.00 plus bill for CAM belt change at 90K or 6 years. Tyre condition obviously as they are V. expensive due to size. Clutch bite point and gear change. Clutch tends to be heavy operation on all these cars. Swing wheel lock to lock while stationary and listen for any odd noises.
Other than that give it a good test drive.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 08:37   #15
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacman View Post
WOW thanks again.

Many thanks for the help
Other worthwhile checks at that age:

Brake pipes (stick your head under length of car. The brake pipes run along about a foot in. Brake pipes have been known to corrode and fail an MOT so worth checking along the full length.

If cam belts not changed then they need doing at this age/mileage so factor in circa £500 on the price you pay

Check gears change smoothly and with a 'snick' as it goes in

Look under clutch pedal and on floor - any stains or fluid then master cylinder (located above pedal box) on way out and likely full new clutch etc. may be needed.

When you drive the car you should get a noticeable kick in acceleration at around 3000 + revs. If not there then vis valve motors or worst case manifold needs replacing.

Electrics are reliable but check they all work inc., mirrors and windows. Drivers window has anti trap function - others dont'

Check battery condition - green or black in circular window on top? Black means around £50 = for new battery

If rear seats have fold mechanism then check they do fold!

hth

Mike
Old 10th April 2007, 08:42   #16
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

All of the above plus any thing you would look at on any car really. Service history, panel gaps, signs of any previous accident damage, signs of TLC to the car, does it look like it was cared for? Do all the toys work? Does the aircon/ climate system blow out cold?

One thing to particularly look out bearing in mind the mileage is whether the cam belts have been changed, as it is about to fall due at around 90K. It's an involved job so allow for this in the price you may pay. The 2.5 V6 is a cracking engine and appears to be capable of big mileage. Don't know where you live, but Lates near Coventry comes recommended by many of the owners on here to do an excellent job for a reasonable price.

Last edited by EnEnGee; 10th April 2007 at 15:20..
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:03   #17
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

Thanks again for all your resposes.
I have been to see the car, Apart from the odd scuff all seems to be in order.
Full service history, just had a new manifold ,637 quids worth.
The engine has no leaks and everything appears to work, i cannot find evidence of the cambelt being changed, needs a tire on the front and the back exhurst box is corroded.

The clutch seems to be a bit snappy found it hard to make it a smooth change, does this sound right?

The drivers seat is worn , its the suede type, the leather is fine could the suede be brushed to make it look in better shape?

Many thanks again
Ill be making my £3 donation for all the help you guys have given me.
Dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:19   #18
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Sounds great fsh is good news, as is a new manifold

The rear silence box, if from factory, has several skins so not necessarily a worry. Mine is now over 6 years old, has some corrosion but the OEM quality means it will keep going for a while yet.

Snappy clutch - yup that's a Rover, or MG in your case. Years of practise and it'll still snap at you

New tyre on the front in reality means two - you won't want to drive the ZT with one brand new and one worn tyre on the front axle!

The suede on the seats does wear. One of our members (Aurora ZTT iirc) should be able to supply a new cover at reasonable cost.

Mike
Old 10th April 2007, 15:53   #19
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Is it Grey Alcantara? if so it can go bobbly like an old wooly pully not anything to bother about but use as a bargaining point

Alacantara web site says shave it off and all will be fine! not sure what kind of shaver they are referring to though.

If it has 88,000 on the clock then the belts need doing, most cars on Ebay are sold around this mileage as people don't fancy the expense. So depending on where you live get at least £500 knocked off (£1000 if you pay London prices for servicing) or if a trader get them to do it as part of the deal and ensure the work is actually done by someone who has the experience and the right tools, it is not an easy job and experience pays dividends.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:58   #20
tashax
Loves to post

BMW 750i V12

That would be one of them wooly pully shavers ...you know the ones your mum would use on jumpers when they went bobbly. Have not seen them in ages.. i had one though.
Going back to the point of what to look for in a car... my rule is even if i love a car don't ever just buy the first one, just go and view another similar and compare them. I know you will probably go back and buy the first but at least you have something to compare it to.
Just like us girls with SHOPPING!!!!