Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2009, 17:32   #1
mike26950

Rover 75 Conn SE Dorchester Red / Aubergine

Default Advice please re 2.0 V6 Thermostat

Having made the decision to keep my 75 for ever Ive recently been doing some serious maintenance, including new Fan from Rimmers etc. I consider myself to be very fortunate in living with about 20 mins drive from Rimmers, and during a recent visit I bought a new thermostat complete with all the bits. However after taking a very close look my current thermostat shows no signs of any problems, but as far as I know has been on the car since new(1999, 89,000 miles). Should I replace it anyway as a precaution, or follow the golden rule "if it aint broke dont fix it"? Any advice would be appreciated.
mike26950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:46   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If it shows no sign of leaking, and reaches temp in around five mins I would not change it.

Run the OBD to check temp. Should be up to temp ( @95 deg) as said within 5 mins an fan should kick in at 100 deg.

My opinion only obviously

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:08   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I would not go to the trouble of changing a functioning thermostat (and the associated pipes), unless you have to go in there in any case. Based on the age of your car, the belts could well be due for a change, in which case the thermostat and the water pump as well as the belt tensioner should be replaced, without hesitation!.
However the plastic will fail sooner or later, and you must just bear that in mind. As long as you keep a close eye on the water level, you usually get a small leak developing over time, and should get enough warning, if you are alert.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote