Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th November 2019, 11:23   #1
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Engine Timing inlet camwheel

Rover 75 2.5l
I inherited this car from my brother who was offered only scrap price when trading it in for a new electric machine. Good luck to him I say! On listening to the engine sound i realised that there was a problem with timing; it just didn't sound right. I hvae now got to the nitty gritty problem. Who ever fitted the last timing belt not only fitted a belt which was too long but also lost the engine timing. My problem is that he fitted the camwheel on the rear shaft with the part number facing inwards towards the engine block and the cam wheel on the front shaft he fitted the cam wheel with the part number facing out from the engine block. Obviously he was 50% correct!! I have a set of the proper timing tools. When I fit the locking tool to the front shaft (ie the one wth the part number facing out wards) and I check the rear cam wheel marks I find the inlet cam mark on the rear camwheelat about 20 degrees to the left of the correct position whereas the exhaust cam wheel mark is correct. What do I do? This is the first time that I have worked on this car so am not overtly familiar with it. Advice would be gratefully received.

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote