Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2011, 00:55   #11
rover775
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Teeside Rover are very good also have t4, 01708250011
rover775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 09:42   #12
jpdoc
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry about the very late update - I've been in and out of the country for the last few months and only just got around to resolving the problem (last Friday).

I dropped the car off at Ridgeway (a two-three hour drive from South London, I'm afraid) after explaining on the phone to the sales rep about the thermostat and the "pulling" problem. I told him that someone on this forum had suggested HT leads might be at the base of it. He said he could do a better deal if I did a full service (which it needed) and a MOT so I agreed.

They called later and said the front tyres wouldn't pass so I also agreed to a new set - the total bill was over £1,000, I don't have the exact figure with me. I picked the car up on the subsequent Saturday after speaking to the sales rep on Friday aft. He said everything was done and when I asked him about the pulling problem he said it was "fine" but I got the impression he didn't really know. I also got the impression that the service and thermostat were done but the problem with "pulling" hadn't been looked at as the guy at the garage looked mystified when I mentioned it when I picked the car up.

The service and thermostat replacement were fine but three quarters of the way back to Clapham the "pulling" returned. As I wasn't using the car much for the next few months I lived with it but last month I again attempted to sort it out. Some internet research came up with a closer garage - Central Garage in Streatham - who appeared to know about 75s. I spoke to Paul, the owner/head mechanic, and he seemed very knowledgeable. We took to car to the garage, he drove it and confirmed that it felt like a HT/plugs problem. Over the next week he borrowed a coil and lead set to test this and the problem went away. I agreed to a new set of leads, picked up the car on Friday - problem completely solved, in fact it's driving better than it has in years. Total cost £120. He also cleared the error log and replaced a faulty pipe. As an aside I noticed a very well kept 75 in the forecourt both times I went there and I'd hazard a guess that it was his.

So, problem solved and I'd recommend Central Garage in Streatham to anyone with a 75 problem.

Many thanks to everyone who responded on this thread - my Rover now has a new lease on life.
jpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 11:51   #13
Charles Hill
Regular poster

ROVER 75 CONNESIOUR CDT SE {NAV}

Hi well all i can say is i hope the Ridgeway garage is ok for you.I only live 200 yards from them but do not use them as when i had my rover 1800 coupe vvc it was serviced ther but the last time i usaed then for a service & mot {told about £200 for both} but when i collected the car on the next day the bill was over £900 & the car only worth about £750.I did not get any phone call from them at all they just went ahead with all the work without my ok replacing all brake discs & pads.I now use JTT AUTOTECH at Potters bar & get very good service with an mot only £25 when car is serviced.So good luck & i do hope it work out all ok for you. Chas.
Charles Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:11   #14
jpdoc
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the note on the Potters bar garage.

On re-reading my post I realize that I didn't make the chronology clear - I dropped the car into Ridgeway way back in late 2010 and the results were as noted. They did the service, fixed the thermostat and did the MOT (with new tyres) but didn't do anything about the problem I had dropped it in for. I have to say I wasn't really very impressed with them either, in spite of the large amount of money I spent.

I lived with the pulling problem until this month, when it was actually resolved by Paul at Central Garage Streatham, who I think did a great job and really knows his stuff.
jpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 20:50   #15
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

I might try the streatham guys. I'm looking for a place near croydon