Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 13:26   #22
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As ever there is much misinformation and a lack of awareness in this case surrounding IDS resignation. He and GO are long term opponents with significant opinions of each other, not least from the days when IDS was party leader and GO cleverly operated against him.

IDS’ opinion of GO, justified or not, is that he is sly and deceitful. Some may agree with IDS on this. Apart from any personal animosity, IDS had another stated reason for his resignation although directly related to the first. His objection to the cuts was to do with the raising of the higher rate tax threshold to benefit the better off while at the same time accidentally, maybe, penalising justified claims by the more vulnerable claimants under PiP.

Whatever one’s political dogma might dictate there can be no criticism of the honourable and principled action by IDS. His earlier tenure as Captain in the Scot’s Guards gives some indication of his character. I don’t condemn him for his principles, there comes a time when you realise you can do no more in the face of unreasonable use of rank. Rather I would congratulate him on facing reality and having the cohones to do the honourable thing. At least he can now campaign independently of political favours for Brexit without looking over his shoulder. More power to him.

I for one recognise the need for a more focussed system to weed out the unnecessary or fraudulent elements of PiP claimants. The complete lack of any recognition in the term ‘absentee fathers’ of the blatant fraud in the often deliberate impregnation of willing future beneficiaries is in my view collusion by fear (or more accurately PC angst) by government.

I too have vulnerable members of the family who need assistance and have seen the privations and unfailing care by their partners. That doesn’t get my back up when others blindly cast about with wild accusations, I merely accept it as being uninformed and get on with things.
Old 19th March 2016, 14:04   #23
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

All very intriguing I think.

I believe that the likes of IDS will only do what's in their best interests, not what's best for us.

As for benefits. I would rather the government concentrated on gathering tax from those people and companies who can and should pay but instead avoid paying. Once they have sorted them out then they can go after those who are misclaiming things.

Last edited by Simondi; 19th March 2016 at 17:22..
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 14:07   #24
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Totally agree Simon,there will be large corporate companies,and fat cat directors paying less tax then you and I, through legal loopholes.
Old 19th March 2016, 14:24   #25
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Quite a blinkered view! My nephew suffered with severe depression and had bouts of alcoholism, he never got benefits and even through his troubles worked in various jobs. He eventually took his life in 2006.
So yes I am happy to see Alcoholism listed as a disability, as are many other illnesses of the mind and body.
I'll give you another true story, A very good friend of mine who was a motor mechanic, split up from his cheating wife about 15 years ago, they had two kids, a nice house and was a partner in a business. After the split he turned to the bottle big style, he tried hard, joined AA etc but was in such a state he did get help from the DWP, God knows he would no doubt be dead a long time before if he hadn't had help, he died due to drink 3 years ago, the funeral was very sad and the turnout was huge due to the respect he had from many old friends and customers.
He got into this state because he couldn't cope, yes a mental issue and he took refuge in the bottle. So please don't tar someone if they go this way, often there is underlying issues that you and I don't understand.
My opinion and I am sticking to it. It is such a shame that people may turn to the bottle for whatever reason and unless you have being there it is impossible to understand. I will never accept it is a disability

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 14:43   #26
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

IDS has very little to gain from this, he's led the party and there can now be no future ministerial positions for him (unless after a 'Leave the EU' vote idiot Johnson takes over the party!) I suspect he's had enough. As stated already, the fact that there were tax cuts for high earners in the same budget that forced cuts in disability payments pushed him over the edge!

Good to see someone act on principle rather than hide behind 'collective responsibility'.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 14:49   #27
pete 75
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer cdti, mg zt 260,mg tf 1.8 spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenicks View Post
What this government should be doing is weeding out those who claim to be disabled but are perfectly able bodied. They are everywhere here, the locals know who they are but they still get away with abusing the system.

If these parasites had their handouts stopped then there would be no need to cut a genuine disabled persons allowance.

Did you know alcoholism is classed as a disability so they get benefits and they can further feed their habit Honestly, you couldn't make it up
well said i could not have put it better
pete 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 17:54   #28
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

He's a politician, and can see that he gets more publicity by resigning now , after the budget. Cameron has said that he should have made his objections clearer in cabinet before the plans were fixed. The cabinet then agreed the proposals and IDS was part of that collective agreement .
So now hes free, maybe he is looking for a position in whats left of the split party after the EU vote.
Politicians .... I cant find the emote for the spittoon . This will have to do ..
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 19:23   #29
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

I keep losing between £5-£10 at Ladbrokes every Saturday,would be classed as a disability. ( claim form applied for)
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 20:57   #30
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
IDS has very little to gain from this, he's led the party and there can now be no future ministerial positions for him (unless after a 'Leave the EU' vote idiot Johnson takes over the party!) I suspect he's had enough. As stated already, the fact that there were tax cuts for high earners in the same budget that forced cuts in disability payments pushed him over the edge!

Good to see someone act on principle rather than hide behind 'collective responsibility'.
He jumped before he was pushed.!
Himself and others have been told by court 3 times to produce some documents,I cant quite recall what for, something to do with the plans for Universal Credit, they (the tories) wanted it kept out of public knowledge, and they refused to disclose the information. Now the courts have forced them to do so, and he is one of those involved.He voted in favor of the cuts, BEFORE the budget went public, so why retract his vote now? Principles?? my ar>>! He's just trying to pull the wool over the public's eyes and make himself out to be a goodie goodie!! It seems to be working on some people , but not on me. No offence intended to you Bob.

Last edited by RPWC; 19th March 2016 at 21:30..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote