Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2009, 20:31   #1
MartynSudworth

MG ZT

Default MG ZT Alarm going and couldn't turn it off

Help!
Last night (3am) my MG ZT alarm went off - no-one near it, no flashing car lights anywhere, just the sounder going off, for about 30 seconds (about) then stopping and then going off again. The remote (or just the key locking the door) did nothing, no 'door open' on the dashboard, I checked boot and bonnet but it all had no effect.

I could even start the car and drive it with the alarm doing the same thing (so immobiliser wasn't active). After about 20 minutes, it stopped and has been OK since.
Obviously, me and the neighbours aren't too keen on this, does anyone have any clues as to why it did this?
It's been raining a lot recently so I suspect rain somewhere maybe, but where do I look/spray WD40?
MartynSudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 20:57   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynSudworth View Post
Help!
Last night (3am) my MG ZT alarm went off - no-one near it, no flashing car lights anywhere, just the sounder going off, for about 30 seconds (about) then stopping and then going off again. The remote (or just the key locking the door) did nothing, no 'door open' on the dashboard, I checked boot and bonnet but it all had no effect.

I could even start the car and drive it with the alarm doing the same thing (so immobiliser wasn't active). After about 20 minutes, it stopped and has been OK since.
Obviously, me and the neighbours aren't too keen on this, does anyone have any clues as to why it did this?
It's been raining a lot recently so I suspect rain somewhere maybe, but where do I look/spray WD40?
I had a problem with a windscreen leak at one stage and it caused the alarm to go off. It was caused by water intrusion into the BCU, which is located under the glove box.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 21:03   #3
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

.............plus there is a security module which may also have water in it. But would also stop the doors from double locking so perhaps not.

And welcome to the forum
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 21:39   #4
MartynSudworth

MG ZT

leak under the glove box makes sense - the passenger side got very wet. Initially I thought a bottle had leaked onto the floor but now suspect water came from outside. Where exactly is the BCU (and what does it look like)?
Thank for the reply
Old 14th February 2009, 21:44   #5
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynSudworth View Post
leak under the glove box makes sense - the passenger side got very wet. Initially I thought a bottle had leaked onto the floor but now suspect water came from outside. Where exactly is the BCU (and what does it look like)?
Thank for the reply
Where you have had the leak by the sound of it. Its that area, and is on a bracket. What leaked?

Lots of write ups on here on what will cause water to come into the cabin. Most common is blocked water outlets at the two hinge fixings location, plus one between the bulkhead (centre of the car between the engine and cabin).
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 08:37   #6
MartynSudworth

MG ZT

The front passenger carpet was soaked, not sure exactly how the water got in. The water outlet above on the passenger side was blocked, so I've now cleared that. I'll check the centre one, thanks.
Old 15th February 2009, 10:55   #7
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

IIRC you need to take out the govebox to get a good look at the BCU. Mine was cream coloured but I think the colour depends on the spec of the car i.e. if your model has rear electric windows etc.

The leak on my car was caused by poor bonding of the windscreen to the car on the passenger side.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 13:05   #8
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

If you have a read to of the clubs "How To" there is a write up and picture

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=102
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote