Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2016, 09:10   #1
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Default Anyone been a driving instructor?

I'm in the fortunate situation that my wife and I can contemplate retiring when we're 58ish and move up to Northumberland (still a few years to go yet) so we can manage our holiday cottage up there. I've also been thinking of a part-time job and have been kicking around the idea of becoming a driving instructor for some extra income. Has anyone had any experience and what are the pitfalls? Would it be a waste of time doing 3-4 days per week for the return?
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 13:48   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
I'm in the fortunate situation that my wife and I can contemplate retiring when we're 58ish and move up to Northumberland (still a few years to go yet) so we can manage our holiday cottage up there. I've also been thinking of a part-time job and have been kicking around the idea of becoming a driving instructor for some extra income. Has anyone had any experience and what are the pitfalls? Would it be a waste of time doing 3-4 days per week for the return?
The numbers of ADI authorised driving instructors remained on average at 30,000 throughout the 1970/1990 period with those leaving balanced by new members.

Driving schools and training establishments commonly pandered £30,000 p.a. with free car as the norm. That has now fallen to range from £23/30K as research will show. There has always been a number of p/t instructors who commonly operate at unrealistic prices due to ultra low overheads and the fact that it's their supplemental rather than main income, plus they tend to use much older and lower value cars, reliability and running costs not being so important as when the car is your only source of income.

The baulk of lessons will still be conducted in what is considered to be unsocial hours of evenings and week-ends, and you must be available to take driving tests during normal daytime hours Monday to Friday whether you operate full or p/t.

You can gain an overall insight into last published data from the Dept of Transport here.

Numbers have dropped almost 12% since 2012 but 40,000 still remain higher than was the average 20 years ago.

What to do next: Start here How to become a driving instructor DVLA

Next do your research on lesson prices where you intend to operate search "driving lessons Northumberland" and check offers available.

Be prepared to invest time, effort and not least money into your venture before you start, try to find local schools registered with ADITE ADI training establishment rather than enrolling with Red etc. who are more interested in your money than you or your ambitions. Not forgetting to talk to other trainees for feedback on their experience and progress.

Last edited by chipsceola; 7th March 2016 at 14:34..
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:00   #3
Kernowchristoff
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur Se hi line Mk 1 115 CDT

Default I tried it.

Hello Mate

I tried a couple years ago. There are some hidden extras i had an extra long test and it was about £ 80 the theory extended there are different sections to complete if you fail more than a couple you fail the whole lot.

Just be wary of these driving schools the promise the earth and deliver gravel. Just don't want you wasting your money that's all.

Good luck with it just don't end up with this lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMRw3mBo_o

All the best

Chris

Last edited by Kernowchristoff; 7th March 2016 at 16:00.. Reason: spelling error
Kernowchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:30   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Don't consider RED I got as far as passing the theory test then they let me down big style, had to engage a lawyer then got the financial ombudsmen involved.
Always fancied the job though.
Old 7th March 2016, 19:26   #5
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Thanks peeps for your useful responses . Some food for thought!
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 21:11   #6
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

My brother in law qualified in 2009 and never looked back. Its his main income too.

One hiccup was signing up to a dodgy course and losing 2.5k. As mentioned just make sure you find a reputable training school.