Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th October 2022, 20:05   #30
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Any updates?
Hello Tourer, The erratic temp continued, and I observed it in real time thru the diagnostic. Two weeks ago, while driving, the diagnostic screen suddenly registered -128 degrees, the temp gauge on the dash became disabled dropping to the resting position, and the 2nd speed cooling fan came on. On reaching home I switched off car but fan kept on running. I waited 25 mins and then had to disconnect battery - the only way to stop the fan.

I'm assuming the culprit is the coolant temp sensor and it has now totally failed. Apparently if the ECM does not receive an engine coolant signal it will indicate to the CAN bus that it cannot supply the engine temp. I understand that, but why would the fan stay on after car ignition is off ...... open circuit?

Anyway, I am sick of explaining to garages that the temp gauge on the dash will always remain at just under half-way and should not be taken as a sign that all is well (the only time the needle will rise is when radiator is in dire need of water). It's a feature of the KV6 as we know.

She's not been used since then - too risky because the cooling fan being on all the time is drawing more energy than the alternator can generate back to the battery.
lida is offline   Reply With Quote