Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2019, 15:51   #149211
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Afternoon all, I've made some chicken paella for tea otherwise I've done nowt all day but drive trains It's even Winter on those

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
One of the reasons I stopped using our garage for the car. A damp garage did not do the car any good plus tools and any other metal items suffered too.

Yeah it's becoming a losing battle in there this time of year with dampness, I usually towel the car down if it's wet but I couldn't be bothered on Friday as my inner ear vertigo malarkey is terrible, My balance has gone & the nausea feeling is horrible.

I take all my power tools & electrical stuff out of there for Autumn,Winter & wrap & cover the bigger stuff welder,compressor, mowers etc with old towels to protect them from the dampness.
I have all the doors open to air the place out when I can.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 17:39   #149212
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I've done nowt all day but drive trains It's even Winter on those
I remember the first time on a train where the a fresh heavy snowfall was above rail level so that you couldn't actually see the rails, just snow straight across, that was just weird . . . . and somewhat unnerving at first!

Severely pee'd off one brutal winter night when I hit a snowdrift and got snow into a traction motor (huge electric motor that drives the wheels, one per axle) while at full power putting about 1,800amps down to the traction motors. Remember it well, there was a bang and a brilliant blue flash lit up the countryside, "WTF was that?" then the engine shut down and wouldn't even turn over when I tried a restart! Driver only freight so I was on my tod, before the days of mobile phones etc, had to apply handbrakes to secure the train then walk over a mile in knee deep+ snow to the nearest lineside phone to speak to the signalman and wait there in the falling snow for an assisting loco. I made enquiries after the event and was told snow had got into one of the traction motors causing a catastrophic earth fault sending the 1,800amps to earth through the motor casing blowing the cr@p out of the power circuits including the main generator!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 18:28   #149213
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I remember the first time on a train where the a fresh heavy snowfall was above rail level so that you couldn't actually see the rails, just snow straight across, that was just weird . . . . and somewhat unnerving at first!

Severely pee'd off one brutal winter night when I hit a snowdrift and got snow into a traction motor (huge electric motor that drives the wheels, one per axle) while at full power putting about 1,800amps down to the traction motors. Remember it well, there was a bang and a brilliant blue flash lit up the countryside, "WTF was that?" then the engine shut down and wouldn't even turn over when I tried a restart! Driver only freight so I was on my tod, before the days of mobile phones etc, had to apply handbrakes to secure the train then walk over a mile in knee deep+ snow to the nearest lineside phone to speak to the signalman and wait there in the falling snow for an assisting loco. I made enquiries after the event and was told snow had got into one of the traction motors causing a catastrophic earth fault sending the 1,800amps to earth through the motor casing blowing the cr@p out of the power circuits including the main generator!

Blimey! I bet that shook you up, How much form filling in did that entail?
Back in Blighty on a BR Class 101 out of Darlington......just overshot the platform at Tee's airport , still Winter

Old 5th November 2019, 19:12   #149214
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Blimey! I bet that shook you up,
Didn't shake me up but did severely pee me off
Quote:
How much form filling in did that entail?
Just a driver's report form.

It wasn't supposed to be my job, a Glasgow driver was supposed to come over for it but they nicked him for something else. Because they were heavy axle loading wagons they had to go a specific route, I stopped at a junction as I was signalled a different route. Signalman said control had authorised the diversion. Got so far up a steep hill then the engine failed . . . . spectacularly! Ended up with my bollox frozen standing in the middle of nowhere, snow heaving down, waiting for the assisting loco, well into overtime when I finally got back to my own depot.

I was in my other post, relief traincrew supervisor, a couple of days later. I was speaking to the control when one of the other controllers butted in. He asked if I'd come back as a passenger on the 22:00 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh . . . . yes . . . . was I a big guy with a beard . . . . yes. He said he was sitting a couple of seats away heading home after work (control was based in Glasgow) and was going to come over and introduce himself, I replied "probably just as f...... well you didn't"

T4 Location Map
Old 5th November 2019, 19:58   #149215
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Didn't shake me up but did severely pee me off Just a driver's report form.

It wasn't supposed to be my job, a Glasgow driver was supposed to come over for it but they nicked him for something else. Because they were heavy axle loading wagons they had to go a specific route, I stopped at a junction as I was signalled a different route. Signalman said control had authorised the diversion. Got so far up a steep hill then the engine failed . . . . spectacularly! Ended up with my bollox frozen standing in the middle of nowhere, snow heaving down, waiting for the assisting loco, well into overtime when I finally got back to my own depot.

I was in my other post, relief traincrew supervisor, a couple of days later. I was speaking to the control when one of the other controllers butted in. He asked if I'd come back as a passenger on the 22:00 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh . . . . yes . . . . was I a big guy with a beard . . . . yes. He said he was sitting a couple of seats away heading home after work (control was based in Glasgow) and was going to come over and introduce himself, I replied "probably just as f...... well you didn't"

LOL Bad night.

WWIII outside here again with fireworks, one of the cats has hidden in the back of the wardrobe.

Old 5th November 2019, 20:02   #149216
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

it's a firefighters dream tonight, a rainy Nov 5th.
Old 5th November 2019, 20:10   #149217
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
WWIII outside here again with fireworks, one of the cats has hidden in the back of the wardrobe.
Not bad here, most of the official displays were at the weekend, there was one not far away earlier, girls woofed a couple of times but that was it. Being out in the sticks has its advantages

T4 Location Map
Old 5th November 2019, 20:21   #149218
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Being out in the sticks has its advantages
Sure does, not one firework to be heard so far this November
Old 5th November 2019, 20:24   #149219
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Sounds like WW3 outside here

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 21:03   #149220
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Young Bob’s hiding under the guest bed, that’s his little safe place when things get stressful for him, most of the noise is finished now so if he’s not knocking out the Zeus he’ll be down soon for his speciality biscuits
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote