Old 11th June 2016, 09:51   #431
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Sir James Dyson: 'So if we leave the EU no one will trade with us? Cobblers...'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...trade-with-us/

His analysis seems fair to me. And I would suggest he would know!

EDIT

I have just read this report/article again. Its content is quite staggering.

It should be required reading for all.
I wonder what made him change his mind over the years? If he was wrong then, could he be wrong now?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...o-9227185.html

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 11th June 2016, 09:55   #432
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

I respect those who desire to leave European partnership I do not agree with you and hope you are defeated on the day, the world is no longer our playground we do not have the manufacturing might we once had,but are still some of the most inventive people on this planet. We do need Europe like it or not yes it needs. reform, but as my mother used to say " don't throw the baby out with the bath water", I sure there will be many telling me what a fool I am, but at my age I won't live long enough to see the small pathetic country this will become if your campaign succeeds.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:23   #433
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I wonder what made him change his mind over the years? If he was wrong then, could he be wrong now?

Yes indeed, Sir James Dyson wanted us to join th Euro!

He's had a number of spats with the EU and generally lost so is probably fed up with them. Also, as he exports 81% of his goods to the ROW and only 19% to Europe, a Leave vote wouldn't harm him as much as a lot of other UK businesses.

Finally, no one is saying if we vote Leave Europe will stop trading with us. Some journo must have added that sensationalism, tariffs will have to be agreed or a payment made to join the free market like Norway does.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:26   #434
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Percentages are very interesting. In the news today I read that ORB poll shows a huge swing to Leave - 55% for Leave and 45% for Remain. That's a 2000 participant on-line poll. I wonder if that's a result of Eddie Izzard's appearance on Question Time or the sight of Sturgeon's inappropriate clothing on the Boris show. I hear the Leave team have invited Izzard to join up, provided he continues to publicly support Remain.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:48   #435
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
I was particularly dismayed to see the Labour Party Remain group having caricatures of Boris cavorting and dancing for the cameras.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have an adult debate - the Remain side argument is slipping into farce and personal attacks.

We all deserve far better than this.
In politics, it has always been thus More a comedy act for entertainment than any serious, honest attempt to persuade those who vote. I made my mind up months/years ago what my vote would be and what little I have seen has simply reinforced my mind that I have voted the right way.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 11th June 2016, 11:03   #436
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

430,000 people were added to voter registration after the deadline was extended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36496047

Old 11th June 2016, 13:22   #437
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

I suspect it was 15 years of banging his head against the EU brick wall.

'Branson and Dyson back euro
By Jason Nisse Saturday 30 June 2001"

Back then - I thought a European common currency was a good idea.

I was not that bothered about the EU looking at closer union either.

How times change.

Personally - whilst I am suspicious of people whose opinions blow with the wind - I have FAR FAR less issue with the likes of Dyson coming to the conclusion that the EU is not working for the UK after 15 years of working within it - than the likes of Jeremy Corbyn who has been anti EU for decades but is now (supposedly ) in the "Remain" camp.
Old 11th June 2016, 14:38   #438
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

I suspect it may have something to do with not being able to win his battles with key competitors in the EU courts.

Interestingly, the only verifable indicator of whether the UK will be better off inside the EU or out currently is the trading performance of the financial markets. This has taken a significant downturn in the last few days since the shift in the predicted outcome.

Th trading performance of the financial markets will perhaps be the single most important factor to affect the more mature members of the population through performance of their pension funds.
Old 11th June 2016, 14:39   #439
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Personally - whilst I am suspicious of people whose opinions blow with the wind - I have FAR FAR less issue with the likes of Dyson coming to the conclusion that the EU is not working for the UK after 15 years of working within it - than the likes of Jeremy Corbyn who has been anti EU for decades but is now (supposedly ) in the "Remain" camp.

He could see which way the wind was blowing then. He was all for the euro and all that went with it. He wanted the removal of the exchange rates between euro zone countries and that to include us. i suspect it's more a case of sour grapes that he hasn't got what he wanted. Plus his factories have gone overseas.

I think you're right both have changed their minds because it suits their purposes in the here and now. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they are honest about it.

Old 11th June 2016, 14:59   #440
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Yes indeed, Sir James Dyson wanted us to join th Euro!

He's had a number of spats with the EU and generally lost so is probably fed up with them. Also, as he exports 81% of his goods to the ROW and only 19% to Europe, a Leave vote wouldn't harm him as much as a lot of other UK businesses.

Finally, no one is saying if we vote Leave Europe will stop trading with us. Some journo must have added that sensationalism, tariffs will have to be agreed or a payment made to join the free market like Norway does.

WHAT??? "No one is saying if we vote Leave Europe will stop trading with us" that is exactly what the whole of the IN campaign IS saying. Every single forecast is based on an assumption that Europe would close the shutters completely. Have you ever read a report suggesting that we night loose 1 or maybe 2% of our export trade? No, all estimates assume we will loose it all. Where in the IN campaign does it say that even if EU does impose tariffs, We will win, because we import far more than we export. And as for freedom of movement, I certainly don't expect it to be cut drastically overnight, but at least we should be able to apply the brake a little, and as for the suggestion that we have to accept free movement, well no one can predict what the government of the day might be stupid enough to accept, but why should we? There are British built cars, and British wine, and British farm produce, that we could buy, but once again no account taken of a possible extra boost to UK business if they do choose to cut of their nose to spite their faces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread