Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: London & The South
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2016, 20:26   #101
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Gate Keeper;2193954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Yes, as I am always willing to try new venues - the only problem is that I cannot travel too far - I wish I could, but I cannot.

But the New Inn looks very nice with a huge Car Park! (With no lines - lol).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.33.../data=!3m1!1e3

http://www.thenewinn.info/index.htm

The New Inn does look nice and is not far away from The Ely in terms of the regulars who feel they might lose out if the Ely goes. From the New Inn website, it looks as though it might fit the bill - no pun intended
I have to agree! My opinion is why go where we are obviously not welcome - it is after all a 'Buyers' market, is it not.

ps. I have also left a Trip Advisor Review....
Old 12th January 2016, 23:14   #102
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I had words with him earlier in the day prior to leaving before lunch as planned, that also escalated due to his attitude. Not being as polite as Alan he also received some back in equal measure.

Personally might look again as suggested by Derek at the aptily named Longbridge mill on the a33.?
Let's open it up for discussion, perhaps Alan if your happy to set a thread up to discuss?
Thanks
Thanks for the supportive input Andy
Having checked The Ely on Tripadvisor I find he is not the manager but deputy manager. Had I known that at the time I would have demanded to speak to the real manager.
Interesting to note on Tripadvisor that The Ely always thanks those who make positive comments but fails to respond to negative ones.

As for setting up a thread to discuss, I feel I should check out a few of the alternatives suggested, with that in mind I might set up a "pay for alanjay's exploratory lunches" post.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 09:51   #103
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Thanks for the supportive input Andy
Having checked The Ely on Tripadvisor I find he is not the manager but deputy manager. Had I known that at the time I would have demanded to speak to the real manager.
Interesting to note on Tripadvisor that The Ely always thanks those who make positive comments but fails to respond to negative ones.

As for setting up a thread to discuss, I feel I should check out a few of the alternatives suggested, with that in mind I might set up a "pay for alanjay's exploratory lunches" post.
Reference the saga with The Ely, I don't know what the conversation was between Shiner and the manager, perhaps that was the catalyst that started the altercation between Alan and the man, about our parking.
As always l have an open mind.

Rev Jules.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 04:55   #104
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Reference the saga with The Ely, I don't know what the conversation was between Shiner and the manager, perhaps that was the catalyst that started the altercation between Alan and the man, about our parking.
As always l have an open mind.

Rev Jules.
Good morning Julien I can see no useful purpose in bringing this into the forum for discussion. We should be looking for a solution to arranging the next meet in more amicable surroundings, a meet local or not too far from The Ely for the regulars. A car park with no parking lines and the pub management, trained in people and having a sense of humour skills

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 14th January 2016 at 04:57..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 17:45   #105
GusV
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Conn SE 160

Default Meeting Place

Hi All, Lyn and I had time today to have a reckie at one of the alternative venues The New Inn Heckfield RG27 0LE as mentioned by Brickie 501 and have to say it's a great spot and our lunch was excellent to boot. It's also a Hotel which may be of interest to some.So the main thing is we had a chat with the Govnor who tells us they have many meets there and would be up to accommodate us the parking for us would be on the perimeter which would work well as I say the food was grt and frankly knocked the Ely into a cocked hat. This is of course a suggestion well worth considering to replace or even run along with the Ely if that is possible.
It is possible that we could have a "test run" on the Sun 21st Feb.
So food for thought Guys & Girls
GusV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 18:40   #106
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Also a write up on 'Trip Advisor'....that kind of publicity they hate. I suspect Old English Inns will issue a standard response and apology, however customers have the right to complain. it is worth giving it a go. Alan did not deserve to be addressed in that fashion.

At the moment, due to ill health, I am not able to make any of the meets. The local ones closest are Halfway House on the A127 and the Kings Arms off the M25, A1. We have excellent relations with them both. Hopefully when I am better and recovered from surgery, I will get back to the meets in London and the south A shame about the Ely being spoiled by the managers attitude to us, saying the meet is like a 'second hand garage forecourt'....Mmmmm the guy clearly has issues of his own, maybe he feels undervalued or overworked, but he should not take it out on the members, all car enthusiasts and none of them car dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
For a minute there I thought it was the kitchen sink in the back of Ed's Tourer!... lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusV View Post
Hi All, Lyn and I had time today to have a reckie at one of the alternative venues The New Inn Heckfield RG27 0LE as mentioned by Brickie 501 and have to say it's a great spot and our lunch was excellent to boot. It's also a Hotel which may be of interest to some.So the main thing is we had a chat with the Govnor who tells us they have many meets there and would be up to accommodate us the parking for us would be on the perimeter which would work well as I say the food was grt and frankly knocked the Ely into a cocked hat. This is of course a suggestion well worth considering to replace or even run along with the Ely if that is possible.
It is possible that we could have a "test run" on the Sun 21st Feb.
So food for thought Guys & Girls
Hi Lyn and Gus I would be up for it. It was great to see you both again at the Ely
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 18:58   #107
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Hi Gus sounds good but could it be in March as I plan a meet at the kings arms in February and hope some will support us as in previous times and very likely those wanting keys could get luckyvat the meet, will post details at weekend I will happily support you and Lynn at the new venue which sounds very positive :-)
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:09   #108
windrush
This is my second home

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
Hi Gus sounds good but could it be in March as I plan a meet at the kings arms in February and hope some will support us as in previous times and very likely those wanting keys could get luckyvat the meet, will post details at weekend I will happily support you and Lynn at the new venue which sounds very positive :-)
I cant see why we can't have a meet at both venues Mike after they are far enough apart and we have enough members to satisfy both

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Old 14th January 2016, 19:29   #109
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
Hi Lyn and Gus I would be up for it. It was great to see you both again at the Ely
Thanks Derek for reconsidering your previous view that you would not be happy for a yet another change of venue.
Forgive me for saying this but it takes a man of your wisdom and years to review your opinion and by that, I mean you are a true gentleman and 75 owner, willing to adapt for the greater good.

Hopefully one of our RS's would be happy to arrange a meet as suggested by Gus, if not I'll risk sticking my head above the parapet again.

Finally, special message to Woof 25, I know the suggested meet date is close to yours but IMHO, you can't have to many 75 meets, Rover or MG marque, it's up to all 75 owners to say we possess one of Britain's finest ever cars and we are proud of it.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:47   #110
windrush
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Thanks Derek for reconsidering your previous view that you would not be happy for a yet another change of venue.
Forgive me for saying this but it takes a man of your wisdom and years to review your opinion and by that, I mean you are a true gentleman and 75 owner, willing to adapt for the greater good.

Hopefully one of our RS's would be happy to arrange a meet as suggested by Gus, if not I'll risk sticking my head above the parapet again.

Finally, special message to Woof 25, I know the suggested meet date is close to yours but IMHO, you can't have to many 75 meets, Rover or MG marque, it's up to all 75 owners to say we possess one of Britain's finest ever cars and we are proud of it.
Well I must say Alan it looks like an ideal location the parking would suit us fine by looking at the car park and they serve badger beer as well I will still be very sorry to leave the Ely mind you but again the car parking at the new inn is far superior

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM