Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2007, 16:47   #1
tealandsilver
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi SE Contemporary

Default Help, which bulb for my headlight?

Hi, I have a facelift Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTi which was first registered 1 year ago. The nearside headlight dipped beam has significantly less brightness than the offside so I am going to change the bulbs in both. The only problem is what type are they? I have checked the handbook and it tells me that H9 65 should be used "for cars with halogen projector blue vision or xenon dipped beam headlights". I don't really know which is fitted to my car, although looking through the forum I have learned that my car has the projector type lights fitted. The part number on the headlight itself is XBC 002770 and there is a yellow label on the bonnet slam panel with the word "xenon" on it. There seems to be numerous H9's (and H7's) on the market. Can I fit halogen in place of xenon and vice versa without mods? Is it the H9 or H7 which fits into the projector? Any recommendations for the best light output, without frying my cabling! Finally any recommendations for mail order?

regards,

David
tealandsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:37   #2
Simon
Banned

-

I would have thought that if your slam pannel reads "xenon" it's there for a reason - you have xenon headlamps.

Both Projector and Xenon units look the same. On Mk1 cars, the mainbeam (outter light piece) has the words "xenon" printed on the inside edge, so as you stand at the side of the car looking towards the grille, you should be able to read it.

I'm not sure on the fitment of xenon bulbs as I don't have them. Hopefully someone who does will be along shortly to assist....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 00:02   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Just for anyone in a similar situation, I cut and paste the following from my post ont'other side:

The bulbs you need are H9 65watt. You can't swap them with H7 because they are a different shape altogether. I'm surprised how rare these seem to be yet few people ever mention them on the forums. I bought some from here:https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=661

TC

[EDIT: These H9 bulbs are actually for the main beams (the innermost pair). The Xenon HIDs fitted to facelifts are the dipped beams (the outer pair with the bullseye lens). If your dips are imbalanced, it could cost you a hundred pounds to replace a HID unit, nor is it DIY. The H9 bulbs however are easy to fit. They don't have the silly wire spring clip everyone moans about with the earlier models.]

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 22:39   #4
tealandsilver
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Just for anyone in a similar situation, I cut and paste the following from my post ont'other side:

The bulbs you need are H9 65watt. You can't swap them with H7 because they are a different shape altogether. I'm surprised how rare these seem to be yet few people ever mention them on the forums. I bought some from here:https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=661

TC

[EDIT: These H9 bulbs are actually for the main beams (the innermost pair). The Xenon HIDs fitted to facelifts are the dipped beams (the outer pair with the bullseye lens). If your dips are imbalanced, it could cost you a hundred pounds to replace a HID unit, nor is it DIY. The H9 bulbs however are easy to fit. They don't have the silly wire spring clip everyone moans about with the earlier models.]

TC
Thanks, I've now managed to get into the bulb and found that it wasn't seated so it was an inch back from where it should sit. Little wonder the nearside wasn't as effective as the offside. What a swine of a job, particularly as I was stuck for a while with a bonnet which wouldn't open!
I'm going to order some spare bulbs up 'cos I'm certain that with all the rattling around the n/s has had that it'll fail soon,

regards

David
Old 1st March 2007, 08:45   #5
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Talking

Dont want to be a spoilsport but my 2001 conn cdt se has the yellow label on the slam panel stating xenons only,and it only has the standard bulbs, I think someone in the factory had too many labels on him and slapped then on everything.

maxi_crawf
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 08:48   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Whoever bought that from new would have paid several hundred Pounds extra for the Option!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:25   #7
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Whoever bought that from new would have paid several hundred Pounds extra for the Option!
good job it wasnt me then

maxi_crawf
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 12:09   #8
tealandsilver
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
Dont want to be a spoilsport but my 2001 conn cdt se has the yellow label on the slam panel stating xenons only,and it only has the standard bulbs, I think someone in the factory had too many labels on him and slapped then on everything.

maxi_crawf
How do I tell the difference between xenon and halogen bulbs? I've tried to attach a photo of the H7 fitted to my car for the dipped beam. I don't see "xenon technology" or any other marks to indicate, other than that yellow label on the slam panel!

regards,

David

Attachment 626
Old 1st March 2007, 12:11   #9
tealandsilver
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealandsilver View Post
How do I tell the difference between xenon and halogen bulbs? I've tried to attach a photo of the H7 fitted to my car for the dipped beam. I don't see "xenon technology" or any other marks to indicate, other than that yellow label on the slam panel!

regards,

David

Attachment 626
and before anyone says it........no wonder his nearside light was giving him problems!
Old 2nd March 2007, 20:32   #10
Simon
Banned

-

If you have xenons the lens casing will say so.

Explanation (Valid for both Mk1 and Mk2 headlamp versions):

Stand next to your front wheel (either one) just beside the lights. Look towards the middle of the car/grille. Whilst looking in that direction focus your line of sight on the inside edge of the mainbeam housing. You should see the words "xenon technology" embosses/printed on the casing.

Hope this helps. If you need a better explantion, then let us know!

Last edited by Simon; 4th March 2007 at 22:40.. Reason: Updated thanks to davehockley's information :)
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote