Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2007, 15:14   #1
MacRy

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 Con SE 2.0L V6 - Petrol Smell Issue

Hi there. New to this site so hello to all existing members.

I've been thinking about buying a used Rover 75 Connoisseur SE for a while now and I finally took the plunge with a 2001 high mileage model (104k) on Saturday. It's the 2.0L V6 jobbie and i'm loving it, very refined and great to waft around in. Unfortunately I have noticed that the engine seems a bit lumpy at around 70 to 80mph and after a long run on the motorway (30 mile commute each way to and from work) there is a fairly strong smell of petrol in the cabin. It goes away after a while whilst continuing to drive at lower speeds. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest so any explanation would need to be pitched at the level of a four year old
MacRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 15:27   #2
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Hi

Welcome to the club MacRy .

I have a 2.0 V6 R75 and I have a smell that I guess I could say is a petrol smell.....it comes from around the exhaust area and its the Catalytic Converter in the exhaust due to the misfire that my car has developed it causes unburnt fuel to go straight through and burns the cat to nothing....the smell is of sulpher.

This could also be your problem as you said about it being lumpy. The reason I haven't had a new Catalytic Converter fitted is because the garage cannot seem to find the cause of the misfire.

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 16:15   #3
MacRy

Rover 75

Hi Tom

It is definitely a petrol smell rather than sulpher and only lasts a couple of minutes before disappearing. Although I guess it could be a similar problem to yours.
Old 12th February 2007, 18:15   #4
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRy View Post
Hi Tom

It is definitely a petrol smell rather than sulpher and only lasts a couple of minutes before disappearing. Although I guess it could be a similar problem to yours.
Hi

I would love to be able to say oh ok thats good then it rules out the CAT. However.....hate to be the bearer of bad news and everything but mine started off as a petrol smell that would only last for a couple minutes it suddenly just come and go, whilst my mum was taking a drive in my car as she likes driving it she noticed the smell and worried it was the engine burning.

I hope that for your sake that it isn't the CAT because as I have read they aren't cheap....£££s.

I don't know if I have bin of much help to you.

Off topic however it would be great to see some pics of your car.

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 18:30   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hi MacRy

From what you say about yourself I would suggest you take it up to our tamed in house mechanic called Lates who is not far from you.

He charges very reasonable rates and does not bite, he will give you an honest evaluation of what if anything is wrong.

You say it has 104K on the clock, do you have a service history were the Cam belts done if not they need to be done asap.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 18:48   #6
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

There are a lot of "O" rings in the injector assembly. I did have one weeping a bit when I bought the car. As you can only see 4 out of the 6 injectors, I was lucky for once and could see which one. A quick twist of the injector back and forth and the "O" ring settled - no more smell of petrol. The "O" rings on the pipework would be a lot harder to fix.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 19:00   #7
MacRy

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil View Post
Hi

I would love to be able to say oh ok thats good then it rules out the CAT. However.....hate to be the bearer of bad news and everything but mine started off as a petrol smell that would only last for a couple minutes it suddenly just come and go, whilst my mum was taking a drive in my car as she likes driving it she noticed the smell and worried it was the engine burning.

I hope that for your sake that it isn't the CAT because as I have read they aren't cheap....£££s.

I don't know if I have bin of much help to you.

Off topic however it would be great to see some pics of your car.

Regards
Tom
You've been very helpful Tom, thanks. I hope that it isn't the CAT either as i'll be a bit upset at having to pay out loads after only having it for three days.

Pics to follow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Hi MacRy

From what you say about yourself I would suggest you take it up to our tamed in house mechanic called Lates who is not far from you.

He charges very reasonable rates and does not bite, he will give you an honest evaluation of what if anything is wrong.

You say it has 104K on the clock, do you have a service history were the Cam belts done if not they need to be done asap.
Funnily enough I have emailed Lates after hearing so many good things about them on these forums so i'll wait and see what he says.

It has a full service history but the book doesn't indicate that the cambelts have been done which should be at 90k miles I understand. I'm going to see if Lates can check that out and do it if necessary.
Old 12th February 2007, 19:01   #8
MacRy

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard LPG View Post
There are a lot of "O" rings in the injector assembly. I did have one weeping a bit when I bought the car. As you can only see 4 out of the 6 injectors, I was lucky for once and could see which one. A quick twist of the injector back and forth and the "O" ring settled - no more smell of petrol. The "O" rings on the pipework would be a lot harder to fix.
I take it that would also make the car judder a bit if the engine is being starved of the sufficent amount of fuel because of this?
Old 12th February 2007, 19:14   #9
MacRy

Rover 75

Piccies:

Old 12th February 2007, 19:18   #10
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Evening All,
Working my way through my emails so apologies if I have not got to yours as of yet. I am thinking that your 75 is in need of a diagnostic session tbh. The fumes added to uneven running definately indicates a problem. I would suggest sooner rather than later incase you do have a fuel leak which nobody wants or unburnt fuel is going down the exhaust causing potential cat meltdown meaning lots of pennies.

Edit: why is my username in bold now :dunno:
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote