Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2007, 12:10   #1
Vinny

Default Won't start, will start, won't start ...

Getting very fed up with this ZT CDTi. It wouldn't start, and the in tank fuel pump had been replaced months ago. Thought it was the front fuel pump, but nope, it was ok. Towed to a dealer, who discovered a bad connection in the fuel tank, so that was fixed and got car serviced at same time. All fine. Car running well and starting at will.

Took car home, refused to start following day. AA came out, sprayed easy start in the air intake, it started, and off I went to the garage. They diagnosed a dodgy heater plug relay, switched that, left the car where it was. Started fine. Few hours later, no start.

Then they noticed a wiper problem (as in not working at all). Also, the car starts when it feels like it. The garage therefore reckon I have a wiring problem, and are currently tracing that as we speak. That, of course, could take ages. Can anybody point me in a direction as to what the hell is going on .... ???
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 14:01   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi Vinny

Sorry to see your first post here is about your troubles

Have you taken you car to a Ex Rover garage if not i think you should get the car to one and put on the T4 system to check out if any faults are been logged. I am no expert on theses sort of problems but hope one of our other guys can give you a few pointers.

Good Luck
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 15:12   #3
Vinny

Yup, it's been on the T4. That's how they discovered the heater plugs relay was ropey. It's also why they think there's a wiring fault, as quite a few electrical issues popped up that were all minor, but together may be pointing to a larger issue.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:49   #4
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

mine had this problem- intermittent non starting, dicky electric windows, wipers, and climate control- then it stopped starting altogether ( if that makes sense). the rpoblem in my instance was the immobiliser in the drivers footwell had been flooded due to leaks and the internals were fritzed. the leak apparently was from where a loom goes through into the wheel arch.
may be worth them having a look at the immobiliser
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 16:51   #5
Vinny

Good stuff - I'll be on to the garage in the morning first thing, and I'll mention that.

Seems odd that the immob caused that kind of issue ... ! How did you find that out?
Old 12th February 2007, 19:04   #6
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Hi Vinny, i know how you feel !!!! my 75cdt has a wiring problem too, won't start at all !!!! will be taking it to a rover dealer very soon and hope they find the prob ?????????
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 19:11   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Sorry to hear you have problems, I take it the Plenum Chamber has been checked for Water as a even Slightly Wet ECU, which sits in there, can cause all sorts of faults as does the Battery beleive it or not, but that should have been picked up though by Garage already.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 20:23   #8
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Vinny, by a process of elimination, the RAC guy suspected the starter motor but I asked him to connect the solenoid directly to the battery and the car started, therefore the starter solenoid wasny getting a live feed.
after a bit of research I discovered the starter signal came from the immobiliser, which had a supply going into it from the starter switch and fusebox, so the problem lay inside the immobiliser box.
unfortunately it was bolte to the bulkhead with security fasteners, so it then had to go into the dealers who confirmed my suspicions.

HTH

Steve
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 23:50   #9
Isis
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Check on Rover Ron's web site for some diesel starting issues. I guess as it starts on easy start it is unlikely to be battery/starter issues, but the cam sensor and injector leakback could be an issue.
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 09:33   #10
Vinny

The garage tell me that while the car is not starting, there are no fault codes being logged by the internal computers, so the T4 is showing no problems. This leads them to suspect a wiring issue ...

Anybody shed some light on where the wiring might break down?