Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2014, 16:17   #1
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Default locking wheel nut problem

had to get new tyres al round on the 75. There is a locking nut there and provided by prev owner. So took car today for tyres but Kwik Fit said can only get back 2 wheels off as the locking nut is judt slipping on front 2 wheels. The guy reckons its the actual locking nut and not the bolts. Checked papers that came with car and theres a card there which has a code and refers to key code for this... anyone know if a new one can be ordered or will ii just need to get them took off the old fashioned way

Thanks in advance
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:28   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

No 12 is a common key number, the usual Traders on here have them call Dunc again with the number off your card
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:31   #3
goldievvc
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 190

As said above, I`ve never seen another number apart from 12. That is obviously if they are genuine locking nuts.
goldievvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:37   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

From what you say, it sounds like the front has McGard bolts fitted. They have bolts all round, not nuts. The McGard uses a slip ring to prevent anyone removing the bolts without a coded key. If you don't have a key, they are quite difficult to slacken, though tyre fitting depots usually have the wherewithall to do it. Many have the McGard master set and there's also a destructive tool available to force the issue. You can also get replacement keys - if you know the code of course.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th July 2014 at 16:40..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:43   #5
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Does the locking nut socket have splines down the outside or a random 'cloud' like pattern on the inside ? If the latter it is likely to be a McGard and there are numerous variations. On the plus side you can order a replacement socket from them in Germany, they will even be able to match the socket from emailed photos of the bolts. If you go down that route I would order two or three keys in case the first gets damaged in removing the remaing two wheels.

I had the same problem 3 years ago and used all three keys they sent me to get the last wheel off. I then threw the locking bolts in the bin and replaced them with standard bolts.

If it's the common number 12 key as the previous poster said one of the traders should be able to assist
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:59   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

There are number 11's about as well, but as you say, the standard one is a no 12 (Unless it has McGard ones on - if so you are in for a long wait while they ship from Germany)
Old 24th July 2014, 17:09   #7
OddSox
Gets stuck in

2002. Rover 75 saloon club se. 1.8 vvc. Moonstone green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
From what you say, it sounds like the front has McGard bolts fitted. They have bolts all round, not nuts. The McGard uses a slip ring to prevent anyone removing the bolts without a coded key. If you don't have a key, they are quite difficult to slacken, though tyre fitting depots usually have the wherewithall to do it. Many have the McGard master set and there's also a destructive tool available to force the issue. You can also get replacement keys - if you know the code of course.

TC
Why the hell would a car have TWO seperate locking wheel nuts?

McGard at the front and Rover 12 on the rear?

What are people thinking when they do this about prospective future owners?
OddSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 17:22   #8
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
Mine looks similar to yours mate, so these need to come from Germany?
Im happy to have them knocked out somehow and replaced with other locking nuts or even hust standard ones. Tyres are deffo below legal limit, go easy remember as only got car Friday so trying to sort out lol.

Mick
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 17:23   #9
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

If the destructive tool that T Cut mentions is the same as the one I'm thinking of I think it's called Dyno Tool. A very helpful company that can supply you with details of tyre places that stock their tool, but it didn't work for me. The broke two of the copper headed tools that form into the shape of the locking bolt and weren't prepared to try a third, hence me going to McGards. If you have a impact driver use that, as short sharp shocks are more likely to free the bolt. Sustained pressure risks deforming the new keys.

Good Luck
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 18:05   #10
badrover
Gets stuck in

75 club se tourer,75 cdt tourer connie se, 75 dealer launch

Mine had rover 12s fitted. The two fronts seized and stripped the thread on the bolt, the key was still fine. I had a nightmare getting them off. I tried welding bolts to them by but the bolt head sheared. In the end I carefully drilled them out. It was a nightmare. If drilling out hadn't worked I would have ground the wheel off as was so frustrated!
badrover is offline   Reply With Quote