Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2007, 15:58   #11
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

So I fitted the new VIS units last night in the rain. I got very wet but thought it is well worth it. My glee didn't last long.

The acceleration is much better and more responsive. But there's still a lot of lump and jump in it. When putting my foot down in low rev's the engine really growls (exhaust?) followed by a bumpy ride.
When idle the revs don't seem to sit steady. The needle fluctuates ever so slighty up and down.

It's really bothering me so any help would be great.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:53   #12
Simon
Banned

-

Just to help. I know you've modded your air intake (is that right?) and I know that on my modified air intake with my presumably working VIS system, the engine growls and sounds more grunty. It reasonates around 2200rpm with a noticable increase in noise but then quietens down after but continues the same 'growl' all the way up to the redline.

If you ask me, it sounds the dogs dangles...

God only knows what will happen when Stage-2 of my intake system gets underway....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 00:17   #13
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

thanks Simon.

Wasn't till i drove it again today I rememebred about the air induction.

I used a shed load of carb cleaner and it seemed to shift the lumps. I think the VIS has been broken for so long I didn't realise. After using the carb cleaner, I've never felt it being so pokey. Not having working VIS motors for so long I think the valved got clogged up.

Now it runs smooth I can tell the growl is the induction. And very nice it sounds. Light driving it sounds normal, but flooring it sound nice but not too loud.

Still a tiny bit of judering but I need to buy more carb cleaner.

After so much stress I feel very happy! And in the manic fury I added a breather to the top bitty. (a 90 degree radiator adapter from halfords fitted nicely to overcome the space problem).

Last edited by mantianak; 4th March 2007 at 00:20.. Reason: Poor English correction
Old 4th March 2007, 10:55   #14
JohnAA

No probs with vis valves yet, but my car has a habit of developing faults after I read about them (notably clutch...)

Can you tell me about the breather mod, I did something similar on our Vectra (flametrap to catch oil which gunks up carb)?

Also, my pipe to the air filter has given up the ghost after I yanked it putting in new bulbs, and I think the car is far gruntier and the induction is fabulous, it definitely sounds better, just concerned it's going to suck up more rubbish
JohnAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:59   #15
Simon
Banned

-

Air intake modification here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=1365

Advice to clean the gunk out of your inlet manifold here:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=2692

Hope that helps
Old 4th March 2007, 11:51   #16
JohnAA

Thanks, had manifold off a year or so ago, lovely job in warm sunshine. Not totally sure about removing shannon tube.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:00   #17
Simon
Banned

-

Removing the shannon tube will do two things:

1. Help feed cooler air into the engine and help with engine breathing
2. Increased risk of water-intake, especially if you drive through fords/streams, deep puddles at speed, etc.

If you're aware of the risks and you don't drive through fords/rivers then it's an ok mod to do. After I did mine, I find myself avoiding puddles etc, but it's not really a big issue... I guess driving through a puddle at speed has it's own risks in general motoring anyway

The only time I got scared was when I had to cross a flooded road back in January. I slowed down to less then 5mph. Barely moving and just kept it going without trying to increase the revs too much so I didn't risk "sucking in" any water. I think the puddle was only a couple of inches deep but it was a good severn or eight foot in diameter.

Fitting an improved filter will give you much more benifits too. MartinW was selling one secondhand, check the "Wanted and For Sale" forum if your interested.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:31   #18
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Here's the breather I put on.

I used a 90 degree radiator pipe I found in halfords. It a perfect fit. Without it a normal breather wouldn't fit, there's a pipe from the intake body in the way otherwise.

Last edited by mantianak; 4th March 2007 at 13:57..
Old 4th March 2007, 15:06   #19
JohnAA

Thanks all