Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2018, 13:43   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
Right then Harry. So, without a handy weighbridge to get your kerbweight how do you work out your 85%?
Right then, how about you look in your car's handbook and probably on the VIN plate too on the B pillar. From memory, my diesel's kerbweight is 1595Kg, or there abouts. The kerbweight does not vary as you add load in the car, it is fixed and quoted by the manufacturer. You seem to be of the opinion that you can change the kerbweight by adding weight in the car - that you can tow an heavier caravan by adding load into the car, that is absolutely not the case.

However, you can improve the stability of an outfit by adding load to the tug, or transferring weight from trailer to tug.

The 85% is a recommended value for the safety of those inexperienced in towing, as recommended by the caravan clubs, RAC, AA and many others to be best practice for safety.

Even for those who are experienced at towing, there are still limits to be taken into account, such as train weight, axle loading and towball loading. The 75 has a maximum towball loading of 150Kg, I tow with a 75 to 80Kg towball load and at around the 85%. Trailers have a maximum load on the ball too, my caravan has a maximum of 100Kg. Practice and feel suggests my 75 to 80Kg provides best stability for my own outfit.

Even if the trailer is legal to be towed, there are the practicalities to be considered, like has the car enough engine power and suitable gearing to cope with the extra load. My diesel easily tows on the open road, but I find first gear just a bit too high for awkward hill starts.

A trailer (or caravan) has an unladen or kerbweight, just like your car. It will also have a maximum laden weight - the difference between the two is the maximum payload - which absolutely must not be exceeded. Out of the payload comes your caravan mover system, gas bottles, clothes, TV's, water carriers and everything else you might seek to add in there. It is that maximum weight which is used in the 85% calculation.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 27th January 2018 at 14:02..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 14:18   #22
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
Finding an unladen kerbweight is easy. It’s in your handbook. It’s the kerbweight when you’ve chucked in your holiday togs, egg mayo sarnies and the dogs extra blanket and all the other guff that goes with a trip. That’s when a kerbweight becomes guesswork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that is the kerb weight, the weight of the unloaded vehicle with all fluids (oil, coolant, fuel), not with luggage and people. I'm not saying I agree with the 85% guide of 1 weight when you could have another 500kg in the car which could bring the % down a lot. But, the weight of a car loaded with passengers and luggage, isn't the kerb weight. Out of interest I'm going to take my caravan to work sometime and weigh both the unloaded car and unloaded van to see how accurate the plate is.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 17:14   #23
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

I think yooz are all over complicating things. Check your handbook for the Max weight your car can tow then buy a caravan at least 500kg lighter to account for luggage. And make sure it has brakes. Easy.
Old 27th January 2018, 17:31   #24
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Right then, how about you look in your car's handbook and probably on the VIN plate too on the B pillar. From memory, my diesel's kerbweight is 1595Kg, or there abouts. The kerbweight does not vary as you add load in the car, it is fixed and quoted by the manufacturer. You seem to be of the opinion that you can change the kerbweight by adding weight in the car - that you can tow an heavier caravan by adding load into the car, that is absolutely not the case.

However, you can improve the stability of an outfit by adding load to the tug, or transferring weight from trailer to tug.

The 85% is a recommended value for the safety of those inexperienced in towing, as recommended by the caravan clubs, RAC, AA and many others to be best practice for safety.

Even for those who are experienced at towing, there are still limits to be taken into account, such as train weight, axle loading and towball loading. The 75 has a maximum towball loading of 150Kg, I tow with a 75 to 80Kg towball load and at around the 85%. Trailers have a maximum load on the ball too, my caravan has a maximum of 100Kg. Practice and feel suggests my 75 to 80Kg provides best stability for my own outfit.

Even if the trailer is legal to be towed, there are the practicalities to be considered, like has the car enough engine power and suitable gearing to cope with the extra load. My diesel easily tows on the open road, but I find first gear just a bit too high for awkward hill starts.

A trailer (or caravan) has an unladen or kerbweight, just like your car. It will also have a maximum laden weight - the difference between the two is the maximum payload - which absolutely must not be exceeded. Out of the payload comes your caravan mover system, gas bottles, clothes, TV's, water carriers and everything else you might seek to add in there. It is that maximum weight which is used in the 85% calculation.

Hi Harry, the unladen weight seems a better term than kerbweight. Given it’s a fixed quantity then. I see what you’re getting at. Seems awfully complicated compared to a simple maximum train weight. Anyways, I wasn’t under the impression that by adding weight to the tow vehicle would mean you could tow a larger trailer, that’d be silly, when talking about cars and caravans anyway!

You certainly seem to know your stuff and it’s all very good advice. Maybe the law has made it too simplistic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 18:50   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
I think yooz are all over complicating things. Check your handbook for the Max weight your car can tow then buy a caravan at least 500kg lighter to account for luggage. And make sure it has brakes. Easy.
That wouldn't work either .

500kg less than your car can tow, would make it a very lightweight caravan indeed - not many caravans these days are built that light.

Rare and very large would be a caravan with a payload of 500Kg, more usually the specified payload in in the 150 to 200Kg range.

Just doing the sums is easier!

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 27th January 2018 at 19:28..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 09:50   #26
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Thanks Rich your input has been invaluable!

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 09:57   #27
Busboy
Loves to post

Thanks Reece, that's interesting about the extra weight of passengers and luggage increasing the 85% rule.

Old 28th January 2018, 10:16   #28
Busboy
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post

Well Harry that's the best description yet, I must admit to not expecting so many replies to my original thread and whilst still looking for my caravan I have found all the input most invaluable.

Old 28th January 2018, 10:22   #29
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
Thanks Reece, that's interesting about the extra weight of passengers and luggage increasing the 85% rule.
As stated it should go off the weight of an empty car because there may be circumstances where the need to tow something without a loaded car arises.
The thing is, if you wanted a caravan that has a maximum loaded weight of 1500kg and you only use it for holidaying with the family, your car will weigh more with people and luggage therefore giving you that buffer.
This isn't the correct way the view it but the 75 is a very stable tow car so inexperienced drivers shouldn't have trouble if the weight of the van was increased to 90% of the cars unladen weight.

As a general statement, single axel trailers or caravans tend to be within the safe capabilities of the 75/zt. Twin axels will more than likely be above.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 11:47   #30
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

This fact sheet is a 4 page PDF file which can be downloaded free of charge from the Camping and Caravanning Club website. It's worth doing so and sitting in a corner whilst you read it - I reckon it's one of the better plain English documents

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote