Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2018, 21:18   #31
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I have now fitted a new pair of these complete with new springs. rear droplinks and can confirm on my car the ARB doesn't foul the wishbone and when sat on the road the distance from wheel centre to arch is spot on. back of car feels solid and secure.
Going to run for a week and nip back under and check all is well, I don't envisage any problems and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still glad it is done though

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:20   #32
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It's an exceedingly good upper wishbone?

I know, coat, then door.
Well I suppose I could use the foil trays from the jam tarts, and blutack them over the rusty holes in the original arms

Seriously though, who can spot the fault?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:23   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I have now fitted a new pair of these complete with new springs. rear droplinks and can confirm on my car the ARB doesn't foul the wishbone and when sat on the road the distance from wheel centre to arch is spot on. back of car feels solid and secure.
Going to run for a week and nip back under and check all is well, I don't envisage any problems and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still glad it is done though
Forget the antiroll bar Dave, and make a special tool from a thin piece of card, then feed it down your new arms..........I'm hoping this is isolated to the arms that I'm not likely to fit anytime soon
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:35   #34
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

They were probably made somewhere like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF865wbEeyI
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:49   #35
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
They were probably made somewhere like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF865wbEeyI
Or more likely Bernie and Leepu at Bangla Bangers

Brian
Old 21st July 2018, 18:53   #36
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

So this was a while back all this was kicking off.

I noticed exactly the same thing with my new arms.

Did Xpart give an answer or do anyhting about this? Was anything resolved at all ?

I test fitted the spring obviously, and the isolator fouls the side of the cut-out of course, just like others.

Every single one I see online is the same, so folk are just putting up with the isolator fouling? Under the wieght of the car Im sure it flattens out somewhat, but its still shocking quality. I am loathe to fit them, but have no choice with the car off the road while I do the entire rear suspension.

I have seen the quality of Indian drop links, and it makes the Chinese stuff look like it came from Bentley.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 20:23   #37
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
So this was a while back all this was kicking off.

I noticed exactly the same thing with my new arms.

Did Xpart give an answer or do anyhting about this? Was anything resolved at all ?

I test fitted the spring obviously, and the isolator fouls the side of the cut-out of course, just like others.

Every single one I see online is the same, so folk are just putting up with the isolator fouling? Under the wieght of the car Im sure it flattens out somewhat, but its still shocking quality. I am loathe to fit them, but have no choice with the car off the road while I do the entire rear suspension.

I have seen the quality of Indian drop links, and it makes the Chinese stuff look like it came from Bentley.
The lower isolator is to be remade slightly smaller in diameter from the original

You can prune a small amount from your original ones without difficulty though Ross

Brian
Old 21st July 2018, 22:29   #38
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Wow,

What a cop out! :p

If only they had made them properly in the first place.

What did they have to say about the "welds" where you could insert cardboard?

Whats their lead time on the isolator?

Edit:- Thats me almost done then with the ZT. Cant tolerate this level of support any longer, the quality of the parts is embarassing now. If they were £40 each fair enough, but to charge £130 PER ARM for that.... no chance. I'll likely sell my new arms then on here at a loss but hopefully will sort someone out who really needs them and wants to save a little on the retail.

Soon as these come up at the right price...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s=1500&page=12

Last edited by T16; 21st July 2018 at 22:59..
Old 22nd July 2018, 01:38   #39
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The lower isolator is to be remade slightly smaller in diameter from the original

You can prune a small amount from your original ones without difficulty though Ross

Brian
(to Brian or anyone)

would moving the location of the spring isolator locator not alter the geometry of the spring? (with the isolator being so thick, I cannot see it 'letting' the base of the spring 'pull' it back or crush it back to the designed position)

I imagine then that it could actually alter the spring into a more positive angle, in keeping with the travel of the upper arm. With this, I could imagine as the upper arm rotated on its axis, there is the possibility of the isolator lifting at the wheel side when under tension. If this did happen, then at best, the rear suspension could become 'squidgy', maybe even knocking against the cup in the chassis. At worst, the tail of the spring could be forced inside itself, maybe even snapping prematurely.

Below is a PS drawing hopefully illustrating what I mean. the image may exaggerate the reality of it though. Even if the handling is not compromised, I would think there is still a possibility of having excessive wear on the tyres with no means of adjusting it out.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 03:58   #40
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Relative to the car the springs position is not changed I believe.

It is just that the ARB mount and spring hole centre are different relative to the visual center of the spring cut-out.