Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2007, 12:01   #11
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

I am probably going to go for a laptop this time...its easier to use around the house...I can watch telly and use the PC at the same time then, I have wireless broadband at home anyways.

The old pc is at the local PC shop...he is trying to recover some of my files and email addresses he is also giving me a quote for replacing the hard drive...I am definately going to back up my files in future...this is the third time I have suffered catastrophic loss on the same tower unit. F/Siemens helpline was hopeless...no actually worse than hopeless.... as I couldnt even understand what they were saying.

Having had a good look around here is my shopping list...any additions what about processor speed?

Bluetooth
WIFI/wireless enabled
at least 2MB memory
at least 160GB hard drive
windows vista premium or proffesional
internal webcam
cd/DVD rewriteable
3 or 4 USB slots
A UK based helpline

also...what device do I need to back up my files...is that an external hardrive?
Old 29th December 2007, 12:49   #12
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
also...what device do I need to back up my files...is that an external hardrive?
Jamie,

I use a Toshiba notebook for my business - happy to recommend. Light, portable and tick all the boxes, with hi end specs around the £900 mark.

As far as desk top storage then we use an external hard drive - very simple and great protection. More info here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...nu=y&doy=29m12

hth

Mike

ps if you hang on a few minutes I'm just about to post that pic on the thread that I promised many moons ago

Happy New Year!
Old 29th December 2007, 12:53   #13
The Bear
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+ Commision No 000297

I agree mike i use a high end Toshiba Laptop myself.I have just been looking at a 1TerraByte Network drive to plug into my BtHome Hub aswell
Old 29th December 2007, 16:26   #14
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

My personal opinion is to think about what you actually use a machine for and what would make it easier to use. If you would prefer the flexibility then a laptop is a good choice. If you're baulking at the money then an aupgrade of the hard drive and RAM would do you well for a couple of years at least. My desktop is 7 years old, on it's second processor, has 1Gb of RAM and two HDDs giving me loads of room to spare. It goes fine and overall has cost me very little really. My new latop is a Compaq, has 2Gb RAM and runs Vista with Office 2007 along with all the design packages I have - that runs pretty smartish I have to say.

In the case of notebooks Toshiba are very much worth considering as are HP/Compaq ranges and also Lenovo - AKA IBM ThinkPad. The smaller operations offering custom-build is well worth considering too. If you're not fazed by the chance to try another OS then do have a look at Apple, I like them and after the initial wariness they're quite a breeze to use. I have to say my personal experience of Dell isn't particularly good; I've had three for work use and not one was reliable. I've had noisy HDDs, badly fited USB ports, one even snapped at the hinge a month after I had it. Also, my trade experience of them is similarly bad - the European repairs facility was based in Telford and had to cope with far more returned Dell machines than they did with the other makes they did the warranty work for. We didn't call them Duff for nothing!

I think the best advice is to go with someone you can trust and know will help you out if there are any issues during ownership.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 17:41   #15
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Yes good point Pete. I've always run my business on the service aspect is crucial. People come back after having good service
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 18:02   #16
dionh
Regular poster

MG ZT-T cdti 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
What I now need is a computer that DOESN'T crash, lose data, or disconect from the internet all the time.

I am tempted by the DELL series having had a decent trouble free spell with a previous DELL latitude laptop.

So....which brand should I gor for...and Laptop or Tower?

Jamie,
If you can afford it, take the plunge and go for an Apple. I'd recommend either an Imac (desktop) or MacBook (laptop). They have everything you are looking for.
You won't regret it, believe me.
All the info you need on www.apple.com/uk
Di.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 29th December 2007 at 18:31.. Reason: UK web address
dionh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 10:11   #17
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

I'd plump for an HP 17" with Vista Home Premium on... £420 with £50 cash back!
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 11:50   #18
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Plenty of offers on at the minute, have a look at amazon as well. Oh, and make sure you get home premium (there is no profesional in vista - its called ultimate) do not touch home basic with a barge pole. and try for 3Gb of ram - if the laptop will take it, some won't - (you can't use any more than that in a 32 bit OS like XP/Vista and you may as well get it fitted now while its cheap - a little birdie tells me ram is going up again) Go for as big a dual core CPU, storage space and screen as you can get. in other words torture the sales people until they are almost ready to give you a laptop to get you out of the shop :xmas-smiley-016: (I worked in retail PC sales for 15 years, I still get flashbacks...... )
Old 31st December 2007, 10:31   #19
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Thanks Everyone....advice is as good as for the cars!

I am going for a two pronged approach...I am gonna get the old PC repaired and I am going to buy a new Note book too...having had a good think, I am not going for the Dell now...I am very tempted by the high pec Toshiba and Compaq's which are on sale at the moment.

I thought Id missread the bit about the Note books only being 2 MB...but no...they actually are. better shop carefully. at least I am better armed thatn I was last time!

Thanks evryone...great club.

Jamie
Old 31st December 2007, 12:13   #20
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Ok...PC experts...can you give me an opinion on the Sony VGN NR10E at £479 on the PC world website?...Sorry dont know how to paste the link! doh.

I was looking at the Toshiba U300 and noticed that the Sony has a bigger hard drive 200GB...not bad for a note book, it also seems to be consederably cheaper than the Toshi.

Bother gets discount at PC world so I might go this route if you think its a good un.