Old 15th June 2022, 07:28   #21
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Ultimately it's being told by a bigger 'partner' what is best for us.
The last referendum many believed that the only way to stay part of Europe was to stay in the UK. That promise was broken by the UK government.
Many of the argumemts used by the brexit folk can be copy and pasted to independence - odd but true.
I'm Scottish first and British second.a word of warning though, the more people tell us we can't do something, the more we will want to prove people wrong.
Scotland is part of Europe, as is the rest of the UK. The EU isn't a country, it's a trading bloc with ideas way above its station and a great desire for money. The Euro is doomed to fail for many reasons, it's currently propped up by Germany but for how long? It's meant to be a single currency but each coin and note has an icon from which country it's from, it doesn't buy the same in each country but it only has one exchange value, that's just one example of why it cannot work.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 07:39   #22
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Scotland is part of Europe, as is the rest of the UK. The EU isn't a country, it's a trading bloc with ideas way above its station and a great desire for money. The Euro is doomed to fail for many reasons, it's currently propped up by Germany but for how long? It's meant to be a single currency but each coin and note has an icon from which country it's from, it doesn't buy the same in each country but it only has one exchange value, that's just one example of why it cannot work.
I'm sure if that's the case then the UK government will make a clear and compelling argument backed by facts and figures to prove the reason why Scotland should remain shackled to the UK
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 07:41   #23
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Patently obvious there are an awful lot of issues which being in 300 years of Union need to be worked out.

I'm sure they will all be resolved over the next 18 months or so with a possible X in a box.

This has the potential for being an unmitigated disaster for the country. We will most likely end up being weaker on the world political, economic and military stage. It could hand even more power to those countries that really have only their on self interests and care not about anyone or anything else.

Watching Sturgeon yesterday she seemed to lack any confidence in here facial expressions and tone. She's doing this to save her political skin, not for the benefit of Scotland. It's in a politicians DNA. Me, me, me.

There has to be an alternative solution sort.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 07:49   #24
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Patently obvious there are an awful lot of issues which being in 300 years of Union need to be worked out.

I'm sure they will all be resolved over the next 18 months or so with a possible X in a box.

This has the potential for being an unmitigated disaster for the country. We will most likely end up being weaker on the world political, economic and military stage. It could hand even more power to those countries that really have only their on self interests and care not about anyone or anything else.

Watching Sturgeon yesterday she seemed to lack any confidence in here facial expressions and tone. She's doing this to save her political skin, not for the benefit of Scotland. It's in a politicians DNA. Me, me, me.

There has to be an alternative solution sort.
I don't disagree.
Personally I think the answer is to go more down the line of a federal state. Each part of the UK raises its own taxes and spends as appropriate. National defence and foreign policy remains as UK etc.
Old 15th June 2022, 07:49   #25
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default No.

Quote:
If when Scotland becomes independent, where in England will the MOD store it's weapons of mass destruction? Currently many of them are stored under the mountains near Loch Long?

Personally I think that one of the big things that will come into play is fresh water. As global warming continues, increasing population density in the Midlands and south of England, where will you get water from? We have lots and lots here. Short term maybe not a problem, but long term

As to the RAF patrolling our skys, last time I checked part of our tax goes towards funding the armed forces, the RAF is part of that.
The weapons storage really isn't an issue, they would simply be placed elsewhere, water? a couple of reservoirs more, one in the lake district, one in the peak district puts an end to that argument. As for taxation paying for the RAF, you'll be forming a new armed forces for yourselves, imagine how it's going to work out. The whole of Scotland will be funding itself from its own taxation, that's hospitals, schools, infrastructure etc and paying into the EU or maybe getting handouts from the EU, add it to the fact that Scotland will be expected to share its fishing waters with EU countries again and be restricted by their rules. I don't see how Scotland can fund all of that from its new currency or possibly the Euro. If breaking away is about joining the EU, it's a very weak argument to use, there's much more to lose than could be gained as an independent country.
I have to confess that I don't care either way what Scotland chooses to do, if they break away it'll save a lot of money for the rest of the UK.
Old 15th June 2022, 08:01   #26
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default Analogy

You go to a bar, in the bar there is a stunning looking girl that you really want to get to know. At the side of the stunner is her mate, she's a rough old boiler that looks like her make up was done by a graffiti artist, and someone has fly tipped an old mattress in the back of her pants as she got dressed, you buy them both a drink although the old boiler has nothing you want, it's just to make things get along.
Scotland is the old boiler.
Old 15th June 2022, 08:08   #27
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
You go to a bar, in the bar there is a stunning looking girl that you really want to get to know. At the side of the stunner is her mate, she's a rough old boiler that looks like her make up was done by a graffiti artist, and someone has fly tipped an old mattress in the back of her pants as she got dressed, you buy them both a drink although the old boiler has nothing you want, it's just to make things get along.
Scotland is the old boiler.
And sadly it's that attitude which makes people vote to leave. Sad really but I suppose it shows what the English think of their so called equal partners. Beware Welsh and Irish, they probably don't think anything better of you either
Old 15th June 2022, 08:16   #28
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Being English, I suspect that Scotland does not have enough productivity to support themselves independently. Like other Nations that joined the EU to claim benefits, those promoting Independence in Scotland may see that as insurance.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 08:28   #29
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
I don't disagree.
Personally I think the answer is to go more down the line of a federal state. Each part of the UK raises its own taxes and spends as appropriate. National defence and foreign policy remains as UK etc.

That's how I think it could be. Although I'm not sure how it would all pan out but it would seem to be a good compromise.
Old 15th June 2022, 08:31   #30
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
And sadly it's that attitude which makes people vote to leave. Sad really but I suppose it shows what the English think of their so called equal partners. Beware Welsh and Irish, they probably don't think anything better of you either
Been considering a move to Scotland, just their stupid house purchase ways really puts us off.

In fact love the place that much I kidnapped one of her fair maidens some 40 years back.