Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th November 2018, 18:45   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default How hard can it be?

Thinking of retro fitting a FBH. Not too good with car electrics but quite handy with spanners. If someone could sell me EVERYTHING required, I'm prepared to have a go, as a project more than anything. I'd fully service the unit before starting. Now, is it a big job or what? Can't find a definitive how to.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:06   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Thinking of retro fitting a FBH. Not too good with car electrics but quite handy with spanners. If someone could sell me EVERYTHING required, I'm prepared to have a go, as a project more than anything. I'd fully service the unit before starting. Now, is it a big job or what? Can't find a definitive how to.
Hi Heddy.
you will be k fitting a FBH as there are no electrics really as all the wiring should be in place, so it is just a matter of plugging in the connectors.

One set found in a plastic bag tucked down by the side of the battery, another connector for the dosing pump is found under the back seat inside the panel where the fuel pump is.

The rest is hose fitting and bolting in the FBH it's self

Fuel line in the engine bay.

Remove the blank and fit to the FBH

You will see on the coolant hose in the engine a line with FBH on it this as to be cut to help fit to the FBH

Clamp below the line before cutting

You will also see an hose with the bleed screw in, it as a joint in it which you will later take apart so one end fits to the FBH.

Clamp the other side of that to, you should now have tow clamps in place

Remove the joint clip.

Have a funnel ready to catch the coolant you will lose not much.

Fit the hose to the FBH.

The hose you will cut on the line FBH will then go to the pump on the FBH

With the engine bay taken care of you then move to fitting the dosing pump at the rear of the car just after the rear drivers OS wheel you will find a bracket waiting for the dosing pump to be bolted to.

First lift the rear seat up you may have to use a prong to push the clips back of the bracket under the seat.

Pull up corner of the seat

With the seat up hold it up either using a piece of wood or as in my case I used the prong.

Lift up the rubber mat under the seat.

Unbolt the fuel pump cover four 10mm bolts.

Lift you the cover and inside you will find the dosing connector

Once you have cut he cable tie feed the connector down between the fuel tank and the floor pan.

It will also have a black in it you remove before connecting up to the dosing pump.

Unclip the fuel line you will not lose any fuel so don't worry.

remove the blank from the fuel line

You are now ready to fit the dosing pump and connect it up with the wiring.

You are now ready to add a little coolant you may have lost turn the car on and hopefully the fuel will flow from the tank to the FBH you will sometime have to draw it through at first. hopefully these photo help you and give you the confidence to have a go at fitting your FBH

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:44   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Arctic that a damn good How To.
To help "prime" the fuel system flash 12v across the dozing pump until fuel comes out in the engine bay and so perhaps don't fit the fuel line to the FBH until then.
It was recommended to me to have someone suck on the engine bay fuel line while flashing 12v on and off the dozing pump.

The normal set up is FBH only comes on when its below ???? 5 or 7 degrees but then you have to start the engine for it to come on.

There is a timer that can be used but I don't know about it to advise

Others have wired in a GSM and send a text message to turn it on

last option is one of the pins on one of the plugs that fit into the FBH in the engine bay can be earthed. This will start the FBH but it will run continuously. I do this 10 minutes before starting the engine. I start the engine and remove the earth I have put on and the temp gauge goes to about half way.

makes defrosting so much easier and saves wear and tare on the engine

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:57   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Oh wow, where did that how to come from? I didn't look hard enough. I'm encouraged, will look around to source the 'bits', maybe a trader may come up with an offer?
Old 15th November 2018, 00:59   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Oh wow, where did that how to come from? I didn't look hard enough. I'm encouraged, will look around to source the 'bits', maybe a trader may come up with an offer?
Hi Heddy.
You would not have found it if you had searched all day as i had only just did it to answer your question (Can't find a definitive how to. ) i have lots of photo's of different how to's it is just a case of finding the time to post them

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th November 2018, 05:31   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Well I'm so glad you did, thanks for that Steve. Once again, you win the How To Of the Year Award.
Old 17th November 2018, 17:14   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Had some movement on this little project today, thanks to those who have responded.
I now have a FBH which I'll need to strip and check. All I'm missing now I guess is the dosing pump. Seen quite a few and they all seem pretty rusted up, due to the location. Is the pump and FBH the only thing missing on the facelift? the blanked fuel line and connectors are present.
Old 17th November 2018, 17:29   #8
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Certainly the fuel line and connectors where all present on 2004 diesel. I just needed the fbh unit including its exhaust and the dosing pump. Was surprisingly straight forward to fit.

I did have to remove the battery and it’s box though to find the electrical connections in their plastic bag. Still, that’s easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 22:03   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Had some movement on this little project today, thanks to those who have responded.
I now have a FBH which I'll need to strip and check. All I'm missing now I guess is the dosing pump.
Quote:
Seen quite a few and they all seem pretty rusted up, due to the location. Is the pump and FBH the only thing missing on the facelift? the blanked fuel line and connectors are present.
Yes FBH & dosing pump is all that is needed then hope the PCB is ok in the FBH once you have it all fitted.

Don't be put off by purchase a rusty dosing pump as long as it works you can clean it up ok

From this.

To this and then paint it with Hammerite

ad altiora tendo.

Old 20th November 2018, 12:38   #10
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Well, this little project is really picking up speed now. Got the heater with an exhaust from a scrappy £15 (had to remove it) Went back and got the pump £10, (car was on the floor with no wheels until today) So, cleaned up the FBH and yet to clean and paint the pump. Will be quite surprised if it all works for the price, don't think a visual check of the pcb tells you anything but it certainly looks fine. We'll see