Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th November 2018, 10:46   #21
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I'd say you have a small fracture in one of the heads.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 11:31   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebridge View Post
... which only makes me even more keen to restore her to glory btw.
I'm very pleased to read this Jonathan.
Quote:
What exactly is that piping supposed to look like?
Item 14 here. I would treat yourself to Rimmer's stainless steel version to replace the non-standard plumbing you have at the moment. Whilst you're at it, check that Mr. Previous Owner hasn't by-passed the oil cooler permanently.
Quote:
The temperature rises to working levels normally.
I forgot that you've only just bought this V6 so just to confirm that the gauge should reach the nine o'clock position in about a mile. Does it?
Quote:
However, interior heating is nothing to write home about. It is very, very patchy, and most of the time only blowing cold air.
Ah hah! This is the classic symptom of air in the cooling system. I know that you've bled it according to Haynes but something might have gone wrong or air has entered the circuit through a undetected leak or worn expansion tank cap seals.

For your next move Jonathan I would recommend another attempt at bleeding but this time following MG Rover's procedure which I have reproduced here.
Note that the expansion tank must be raised and the bleed screw never opened whilst the engine is running.

Simon
Old 7th November 2018, 12:26   #23
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
I'd say you have a small fracture in one of the heads.
Hardly likely. I know for a fact that the head was inspected during a previous service – many moons ago, admittedly – and that the valve cap cover gasket was replaced. There are no visible leaks around that, which would mean then that I'd have a valve cap full of coolant.
ricebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 13:30   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'm very pleased to read this Jonathan.

Item 14 here. I would treat yourself to Rimmer's stainless steel version to replace the non-standard plumbing you have at the moment. Whilst you're at it, check that Mr. Previous Owner hasn't by-passed the oil cooler permanently.

I forgot that you've only just bought this V6 so just to confirm that the gauge should reach the nine o'clock position in about a mile. Does it?

Ah hah! This is the classic symptom of air in the cooling system. I know that you've bled it according to Haynes but something might have gone wrong or air has entered the circuit through a undetected leak or worn expansion tank cap seals.

For your next move Jonathan I would recommend another attempt at bleeding but this time following MG Rover's procedure which I have reproduced here.
Note that the expansion tank must be raised and the bleed screw never opened whilst the engine is running.

Simon
Do you remember Simon, several years, whilst driving back from the West Country on the M4 to London, my V6 kept losing coolant and over heating. With your advice, I stopped every 50 miles and had to top up. Got back okay, thank you. The pink stuff was in the V. Ultimately it was some cracked pipes and the coolant tank had cracked. The tank, pipes, thermostat and it’s housing had to be replaced. Found I had several oil leaks and the seals also had be replaced.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 13:50   #25
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Do you remember Simon ...
I very much regret to say that I don't Phil, but I'm pleased to be reminded that I was of some assistance! I'm sure that Jonathan will note your experience. It never ceases to amaze me what can be discovered by just looking. The tiniest clue can often lead to a hitherto hidden defect.

Simon
Old 7th November 2018, 19:53   #26
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Ah hah! This is the classic symptom of air in the cooling system... Item 14 here. I would treat yourself to Rimmer's stainless steel version to replace the non-standard plumbing you have at the moment. Whilst you're at it, check that Mr. Previous Owner hasn't by-passed the oil cooler permanently.
Yes. Brother Occam just called and wanted to lend me his razor. Zeroing in on the simplest possible explanation, a homemade cooling system would certainly be the prime suspect for overheating and leaking problems. And so is the very big possibility that I might have been unable to avoid getting air into the system. Even Haynes notes that the V6 is very prone to air locks.

If it doesn't cool the engine and doesn't heat the interior, even when there's coolant in the expansion tank, then there mustbe an air lock imho.

Quote:
Yes. Mind you, that one was pretty self-explanatory though. For all its drawbacks, the kind of "three-position" temp gauge at least shows quite clearly when the temperature is at what could be considered normal. And I use the onboard diagnostics real-time thermometer all the time now. It's a bummer to get to, but it's worth the trouble.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:56   #27
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Ultimately it was some cracked pipes and the coolant tank had cracked. The tank, pipes, thermostat and it’s housing had to be replaced. Found I had several oil leaks and the seals also had be replaced.
There's indeed a lot of plastic in there, not to mention the clips, viz. plenty of stuff that can go bad over the years.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:58   #28
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me what can be discovered by just looking. The tiniest clue can often lead to a hitherto hidden defect.

Simon
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -- Sherlock Holmes
Old 7th November 2018, 23:32   #29
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
I very much regret to say that I don't Phil, but I'm pleased to be reminded that I was of some assistance! I'm sure that Jonathan will note your experience. It never ceases to amaze me what can be discovered by just looking. The tiniest clue can often lead to a hitherto hidden defect.

Simon
You don’t remember it. Oh I don’t know. At the time, I had posted up an urgent request for help and Simon, you were the only one on the forum who stepped up and told me what do “Live” and I was not to panic. All in the archives, thank you
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 09:39   #30
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebridge View Post
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -- Sherlock Holmes

That's an excellent quote Jonathan.

Simon