Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th September 2018, 15:08   #11
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Brian, will that piston not be size matched to the bore, within a few thou?

If tolerance is that low - I suspect Cylinder 1 is no Good either there is around 45 degrees of Arc where I assume it's the piston Ring(?) that is visible - between the edge of the Crown and the Liner.... not sure if that's explained correctly

I have accepted that i WON'T be tackling any repairs working UNDERNEATH the Car myself - I had decided this when i first got my Car - there is too much traffic with minibuses etc.. regularly using the end of the street to turn - working alone underneath the Car even on ramps I can't be sure it's safe with other folks possible actions to consider

I'd consider the possibility of getting the Car to a Mechanic for these repairs (if plausible) and dropped back so I can complete the top-end work - I know i'd be at least £100 just to move the car there and back (no MOT now, so it would need a flatbed) Parts/Labour.......

without getting too deep into my personal circumstance - it's a case of Unfortunate timing - it's been 6 months since the Timing Belt slipped/jumped
- having a Car that I can't use has had an affect on my Income - I was willing/able to compromise this over the Summer for the Experience rather than the Practicality - the reason it took so long to source parts was a result of this compromise you've Got to laugh - I have Gained a wee bit of Experience tho

I can't Just scrap the Car tho - at the very least i'd want someone to get the Front Suspension Assemblies - apparently you need the Car complete to Scrap it ?

my Window Sill repair at the House seems Good today tho

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2018, 20:21   #12
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Your best bet is to get your local rover expert to come over and fit the jug kindly offered by Brian. Honestly, getting the exhaust out of the way is the most difficult bit. Weather is still fine, days still long enough. Do it.
Ask around, surely you have someone local? Unless someone from this forum fancies taking your car on you're looking at scrap value!
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 13:13   #13
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

How'do folks

at this stage i've Nothing to lose - the Car will be SORN'd and left parked where it is - it is Private Land so hopefully the Car won't be lifted while i'm away

I can't bring myself to scrap the Car - and I'm not happy to Give up

I'm waiting to hear back from Cossiedunc r.e replacing Piston/Rod/Liner - I'll weigh up my options - I will have to double check the condition of the Other Pistons.

I've also been looking at replacement Engines as an option Surely not too Big a Job for an Experienced Mechanic.

the only other concern would be - where did the pieces of missing Piston Crown go ? into the Turbo ? - I did have a wee bit Oil when i removed the Turbo/Intercooler and the Intercooler/Throttlebody Hoses and a wee bit in the Inlet Manifold I'm not sure if this would be enough to cause concern.

I'm NOT throwing in the towel just yet

Paul.
Old 7th September 2018, 13:24   #14
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do folks

at this stage i've Nothing to lose - the Car will be SORN'd and left parked where it is - it is Private Land so hopefully the Car won't be lifted while i'm away

I can't bring myself to scrap the Car - and I'm not happy to Give up

I'm waiting to hear back from Cossiedunc r.e replacing Piston/Rod/Liner - I'll weigh up my options - I will have to double check the condition of the Other Pistons.

I've also been looking at replacement Engines as an option Surely not too Big a Job for an Experienced Mechanic.

the only other concern would be - where did the pieces of missing Piston Crown go ? into the Turbo ? - I did have a wee bit Oil when i removed the Turbo/Intercooler and the Intercooler/Throttlebody Hoses and a wee bit in the Inlet Manifold I'm not sure if this would be enough to cause concern.

I'm NOT throwing in the towel just yet

Paul.
At the worst its four pistons and liners, £250 max. Doesn't sound like you need a new block/engine, as long as liners are not sunken and mushroomed in to the block?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 15:06   #15
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
At the worst its four pistons and liners, £250 max. Doesn't sound like you need a new block/engine, as long as liners are not sunken and mushroomed in to the block?

I'd be happy to have New Pistons/Liners fitted - I'm a wee bit concerned r.e "Proper" Installation of New Pistons to the existing Rods though

I don't have the option to tackle your method myself - Would it be a reasonable request to ask of a Mechanic ? - i.e time and labour costs

Could i have Confidence in this type of Install ?

Paul.
Old 7th September 2018, 18:51   #16
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I tried getting some better Pics - Camera Battery was low so i snapped quickly

is there anything these pics show that could be an issue ? - other than the obvious Cylinder 4 Piston

Is it Normal/Acceptable to see the shine from the Piston Ring at the edge of the Piston Crown ? as in Cylinder 1

Paul.
Old 7th September 2018, 19:38   #17
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
I tried getting some better Pics - Camera Battery was low so i snapped quickly

is there anything these pics show that could be an issue ? - other than the obvious Cylinder 4 Piston

Is it Normal/Acceptable to see the shine from the Piston Ring at the edge of the Piston Crown ? as in Cylinder 1

Paul.

1-3 are quite normal although there may be some superficial edge damage to the piston lands. A Piston is normally tapered being narrower at top. You might just get away with a secondhand matched piston and liner for 4. Although a complete set of new piston/liners is the best way to go. I hear what you are saying about changing the pistons it’s a nervy point heating up the conrods and fitting to new pistons. Send the piston/rods/liners to me and I would do it for you if an option? Pity you weren’t closer I would have you up and running in no time.

If you remove the conrods leave the big end bearing shells in place and don’t mix up. Brian mentioned earlier that you will need to clamp the block sandwich together to turn the engine over. This can be done with spacers and large washers and the through bolts, although if you place the cylinder head on each time and tighten the studs up to a lowly torque before you turn the engine to the next position to remove another rod/piston/liner assembly together.

How does the top of the liner sit relative to the block as this is key too?

Last edited by Lovel; 7th September 2018 at 20:20..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 19:54   #18
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Also how is liner bore wear, - any ovality or ridges at the bore tops?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 20:35   #19
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I did have a quick check of the liners - they appear "Almost" Flush with the Block - they don't appear to have dropped - I'll have a better check on this with a straight edge when i locate my Feeler Gauge

thanks for the help and encouragement folks - I'll do what I can to get the Car back on the road

I'm not sure which option will work out best - I'm not able to act on it at the minute - I'll sort something out tho

Paul.
Old 7th September 2018, 20:40   #20
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Also how is liner bore wear, - any ovality or ridges at the bore tops?

there doesn't appear (to my inexperienced eye) to be anything suggesting damage to the Liner or any excessive wear - I'll take the time to have a better inspection tomorrow

Paul.