Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th May 2018, 14:13   #1
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Diesel power loss & low oil pressure

Good afternoon all,

Yesterday while coming off the spittals roundabout, I lost power & the low oil pressure warning appeared on the IPK. I coasted over fo the hard shoulder, turned off & opened the bonnet expecting to see the engine bay covered in oil. It wasn't. The oil level was around the max mark & once restarted the engine ran fine.
Anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this, and what steps I should take?
Also when pulling away yesterday, there was a low drone which lasted a second or two, but it has not reoccurred today.
Over the past few weeks I have felt the performance had dipped & that fuel economy had also dropped.
My car is an auto, if that has any bearing on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 14:57   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Good afternoon all,

Yesterday while coming off the spittals roundabout, I lost power & the low oil pressure warning appeared on the IPK. I coasted over fo the hard shoulder, turned off & opened the bonnet expecting to see the engine bay covered in oil. It wasn't. The oil level was around the max mark & once restarted the engine ran fine.
Anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this, and what steps I should take?
Also when pulling away yesterday, there was a low drone which lasted a second or two, but it has not reoccurred today.
Over the past few weeks I have felt the performance had dipped & that fuel economy had also dropped.
My car is an auto, if that has any bearing on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Have you cleaned your pcv filter.
Do you have oil in the water tank
Check the wiring on the oil pressure sensor
Old 16th May 2018, 15:04   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The low oil pressure only flagged up because the engine stopped, so you can ignore that.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 15:17   #4
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the quick replies Gents,

the PCV filter was replaced at my last service, but I will check it & replace it as a precaution. I had checked the coolant before I set out yesterday & it did not show any signs of being contaminated, however, I will check it before I leave work tonight.
As for the low oil pressure, that warning appeared before I switched the engine off, which is a bit concerning. As you suggest Pete, it is a good idea to check the wiring anyway - just in case

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.

Last edited by Gino; 16th May 2018 at 15:19.. Reason: Add detail
Old 16th May 2018, 16:57   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Was the engine still running when the low oil pressure flagged up then?

If it stalls you will get that warning before you turn the ignition off.

You mentioned coasting to a halt, and as you have an auto, then I assumed it had stalled.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 17:11   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

in order you should.......

1 Check plenum
2 Test for injector leakback
3 fuel pump?? is this the low hum noise you describe perhaps?

As has be pointed out previously the oil pressure warning is a red herring caused when the engine stopped with the ignition still turned on.

The gradual loss of performance can creep up unnoticed, but a T4 check would pinpoint any deficiencies, but low fuel pressure can cause a multitude of sins

I wonder if Trikey may ne placed to give your car the once over

Happy hunting

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 17:39   #7
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Evening Gents,

I presumed the engine was still running, however, I cannot be certain now. I didn't get any feedback to suggest the engine had stopped so I assumed it was running. I could quite easily be wrong though!
The leakback test will have to wait until Monday as I'm back at work (why do things like this happen on ones last day off?), but I'll check the plenum later. I do usually hear the fuel pump, again I will check later. My tank was 3/4 full so I presume that rules that out?
Philt4 done the remap for me so I shall see if I can pay him a visit. If not a trip to Lincolnshire may be in order!

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 16th May 2018, 18:02   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
in order you should.......

1 Check plenum
2 Test for injector leakback
3 fuel pump?? is this the low hum noise you describe perhaps?

As has be pointed out previously the oil pressure warning is a red herring caused when the engine stopped with the ignition still turned on.

The gradual loss of performance can creep up unnoticed, but a T4 check would pinpoint any deficiencies, but low fuel pressure can cause a multitude of sins

I wonder if Trikey may ne placed to give your car the once over

Happy hunting

Brian
You at get Trikey to hop over....
Old 17th May 2018, 19:34   #9
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Evening all,

Just an update for you all. I can hear the UBP running on start up, my oil level is good, my plenum is dry & there is no oil in coolant. I am arranging to meet Phil next week for a health check. Fingers crossed it finds the (non serious) fault.

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 17th May 2018, 21:27   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Although you can hear the ubp working, I suggest you take the electric plug off the the top of it, and put a smear of Vaseline on the connections inside the top connections for the plug. Then put the plug back on and just pull and push it back on a couple of times. They sometimes have a white residue on them and it causes a no connection. Had it with mine.