Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th November 2012, 18:12   #11
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Reading this thread I'm curious. My CDT Tourer has done almost 200,000 miles and as far as I know it's still on its original engine mounts (I don't know if they were changed in the 147,000 miles before I got the car, but I have seen no paperwork to suggest they were). Does this mean my engine mounts are likely to be shot and I would benefit from new ones? How can one tell?
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 01:41   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Reading this thread I'm curious. My CDT Tourer has done almost 200,000 miles and as far as I know it's still on its original engine mounts (I don't know if they were changed in the 147,000 miles before I got the car, but I have seen no paperwork to suggest they were). Does this mean my engine mounts are likely to be shot and I would benefit from new ones? How can one tell?
To check the lower engine mount get car on the ramps if you have some if not use axle stands do not work under a jacked up car never, remove the undertray

It then takes about 15mins to remove and check it fews pics below once you have checked it let us know its condition as this is why the thread as been put up if damaged replace with (roverlink) mount Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14464.jpg (136.6 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12372.jpg (125.0 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12374.jpg (126.7 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12376.jpg (137.6 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14613.jpg (118.8 KB, 593 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd June 2018 at 00:49.. Reason: thumbnails enlarged
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 20:29   #13
K£150N
Loves to post

My lower engine mount experience - CDT auto.

1 - Broken large bush in the oem engine mount - oh bother!

2 - Purchased power flex yellow variant large bush (red bush wasn't manufactured at that time) Findings... sends up lots of vibrations!!! I need a solution as I'm not keeping it like this, pronto!

3 - Fitted a used but not so broken oem mount for the time being.

4 - Went down the red powerflex route, findings... much better than the yellow bush as it doesn't throw up as many vibrations but it was tight and felt solid. As solid until the day it popped from the mount and made me think I had a grinding auto gear box!

See this thread for a full break down so to speak: HERE

5 - Fitted a new mount from Rimmer/Xpart, it looks just like the original mount, part no. KKH101402 and found HERE

It retails at £86.46 but I got it for £73.49, it's not as cheap as the other I've seen listed but I didn't want to mess about as I needed the best solution ASAP.

So far the new mount is the best I've installed, the vibration level is less, it's quieter than the powerflex red diesel bush.

I hope that proves of some help, thanks, Rob.
K£150N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 20:58   #14
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Ross hopefully the (roverlink ) one will be either slightly better given the difference of the rubber insert makeup there are a few members including myself testing or have one fitted at the moment and i have found that the vibration is less with the (roverlink ) one when starting from cold compaired to the OEM one, also to be taken into consideration is if the lower wish bone bushes are in a good condition somehave split this will add to stress on the lower engine mount.

Hi Arctic

any views yet on the Chinese Roewe mount on a CDTi? I have the pink PF and it seems fine but given some of the recent experiences thought I might get one of teh Roverlink mounts in stock in case!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 21:45   #15
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by K£150N View Post
My lower engine mount experience - CDT auto.

1 - Broken large bush in the oem engine mount - oh bother!

2 - Purchased power flex yellow variant large bush (red bush wasn't manufactured at that time) Findings... sends up lots of vibrations!!! I need a solution as I'm not keeping it like this, pronto!

3 - Fitted a used but not so broken oem mount for the time being.

4 - Went down the red powerflex route, findings... much better than the yellow bush as it doesn't throw up as many vibrations but it was tight and felt solid. As solid until the day it popped from the mount and made me think I had a grinding auto gear box!

Did you paint that mount black or was it that way when you started? As I recall mine was just bare metal. Could the mount you fitted the powerflex in to have been non standard, leading to it popping out in the way it did? Also the lateral grooves around the inside diameter don't seem the same, could they have been opened up a bit to make insertion easier? I seem to recall mine being more pronounced than in your pics.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 23:31   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Did you paint that mount black or was it that way when you started? As I recall mine was just bare metal. Could the mount you fitted the powerflex in to have been non standard, leading to it popping out in the way it did? Also the lateral grooves around the inside diameter don't seem the same, could they have been opened up a bit to make insertion easier? I seem to recall mine being more pronounced than in your pics.
Hi David
I think Robert smoothed out the sharp edges so they do not cut into the rubber bush it is best to do this, Roberts mount is now the 3rd i have seen popped out of the teardrop alloy mount and been ripped up Rob(trebor) was the first when he phoned me and messaged me saying he was getting a bad grinding noise from under the car his powerflex red bush had only been fitted for 2.5 months and we found this once we got the car up on ramps below Fig 1/1a

1a

Here you can see how the mount as slid over to one side and at the same time torn the rubber Fig 2/3

In these photo's you can see the extent of damage caused because the bush as pushed out of the alloy mount Figs 4/5

We have now fitted another powerflex red mount the only one we had at the time but this time we have inserted the original metal & Nylon centre from the OEM bush Fig 6 shows the powerflex next to the old OEM inserts which i had to cut the rubber from

The OEM metal centre is the same size bore as the powerflex solid metal one we were in the thought could this be playing a part in the vibration and making it slide to one side Fig 7

Clean up and ready to go now fitted to Rob (trebor) car whom is testing it out to see if this lasts longer than the 2.5 months the first red powerflex did Fig 8

The other thought we had was that if your lower wishbone bushes are split this may put extra stress on the lower engine mount when turning corners etc and this may have caused the wear but we do not have any proof of this but you need to check the lower wishbone bushes at the same time Figs 9/10

The wishbone bushes must at least be like these two below figs 11/12

I contacted the seller whom i purchased my red powerflex bushes from and was given a refund and they passed the report onto powerflex whom contacted me and have said that they are in the process of upgrading the red powerflex and would i help in road testing the newer ones.

So they must have known about this before i contacted my supplier i am now waiting on powerflex to get back intouch with their new version on this diesel mount will keep you updated.

In the mean time i am running on the Chinese mount from(roverlink) and all is very sooth and looks to be the way forward but time will tell over the winter months on all of the bushes being tried out here in the Midlands.
Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 12th December 2012 at 23:35..
Old 12th December 2012, 23:40   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDave View Post
Hi Arctic

any views yet on the Chinese Roewe mount on a CDTi? I have the pink PF and it seems fine but given some of the recent experiences thought I might get one of teh Roverlink mounts in stock in case!
Hi Dave
To be honest had the Chinese Rowwe Mount been available at the time i would have gone with that one, the time the mount as been on my car it is smoother changing gear less vibration on tick over better all round but the winter months will give it a good try out for sure Arctic.:xmas-smiley-029:

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th December 2012, 05:51   #18
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David

The other thought we had was that if your lower wishbone bushes are split this may put extra stress on the lower engine mount when turning corners etc and this may have caused the wear but we do not have any proof of this but you need to check the lower wishbone bushes at the same time Figs 9/10

Arctic.

Very detailed assessment. I am surprised that there was enough space between the brackets for the bush to slide out that way, and also the centre steel shaft which gets bolted up slides inside the red bush so I'm surprised at how the lateral forces can be applied to the rubber quite so severely as in that case. So you could be right about the relationship with with wishbone bushes, because although I haven't had any trouble with my engine tie, only 3 months after fitting that, my OEM wishbone bush rubber ripped out of its bracket. I didn't connect the two events at the time as the wishbone had already been raised as an advisory at the MOT but as you say, a weakness in one area may get highlighted by the introduction of firmer bushes elsewhere. It will be very interesting to see Powerflex's response, and whether they make changes to just the red bush or if they make a change to the wishbones as well.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 08:58   #19
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Lower mounts

I have a collection of lower engine mounts in my garage. Mondeo mounts in various stages of modification used in the initial experiments, a boxed red
poly one, an original Rover one, and the new Chinese type which I am running now. I am not the ideal one to test these as my CDT has always suffered from tickover vibration but I can say that the Chinese one is at least as good as the OM item and, since it should last longer due to its improved design and because it is cheaper I think it is the best solution at the moment particularly as it is a straight swop replacement. Only time will tell if it lasts as long as expected. I have fitted the Powerflex bushes to the wishbone rear bushes by the way.

Last edited by wuzerk; 14th December 2012 at 09:01..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 09:10   #20
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

I would think that the only reason for a PF bush to pop out is that its being subjected to some considerable sideways or twisting force .

And this must be fairly continuous, otherwise the bush flex but would stay central.

It would always settle on its neutral position when one end becomes free .

The OEM being bonded can take sideways but the PF relies totally on its small flanges.

I can't believe the motor actually moves a great deal in a sideways direction ?.

& there is a small amount of mis-alignment in the Chassis mount and the Engine bracket on some cars ..

but then I only seen 3 cars but they all have it!

I feel the PF bush has a design flaw, in that PF probably thought the Mount ( from its basic design) only took forces forward and Aft !! .

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 14th December 2012 at 09:13..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote