Notices

Old 16th December 2018, 11:19   #51
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thank you for your pm Wes. Some things of a more personal nature are better discussed in private. Let’s do it there in the atmosphere of discussion, options and confidentiality.
Thanks Phil, I remember when Derek (windrush) would pop in on one of my threads, he always gave good positive advice, he would make you look at the world more positively.

I'll be ok, I'm of the strong sort as they say, I just need a good rant. It helps speaking to you guys on here I guest, I don't like to worry my wife about it all really, I have no brothers or sisters to annoy. My trouble seems to be, I can give good advice to others, but I can never teach myself to use the same advice, strange how it works.

Last edited by Dallas; 16th December 2018 at 21:12..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 19:38   #52
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Ok, can this get any worst? Now I've got esophageal thrush of the mouth and throat.
:
Good grief Wes - you are going through one he11 of a rough time!

Some excellent advice given by guys on here who clearly have greater expertise in this area than the rest of us. How amazing that a car club can provide such a conduit for this.

Sorry to hear you may now be suffering from some sort of oral thrush. This is not uncommon when your immune system is low after the sort of pain and trauma you have gone through. It is quiet possible that the treatment you have/will be prescribed will be Nystatin oral lozenges.

These are pretty useless foul tasting things that do nothing but dye your mouth brown. I suggest you try Daktarin Oral Gel which is available over the counter at Pharmacies but you may have to get them to order it in.

It is a broad spectrum anti fungal (Thrush is the fungus Candida albicans - but a thrush infection can include other species as well as certain opportunistic bacteria) and this makes the fungi static Nystatin about as useful as the proverbial chocolate tea pot.

Daktarin oral gel is orange flavoured- so you can almost convince yourself it’s a bit like Cointreau.....

Last edited by Darcydog; 17th December 2018 at 11:39..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 21:05   #53
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Good grief Wes - you are going through one he11 of a rough time!

Some excellent advice given by guys on here who clearly have greater expertise in this area than the rest of us. How amazing that a car club can provide such a conduit for this.

Sorry to hear you may now be suffering from some sort of oral thrush. This is not uncommon when your immune system is low after the sort of pain and trauma you have gone through. It is quiet possible that the treatment you have/will be prescribed will be Nystatin oral lozenges.

These are pretty useless foul tasting things that do nothing but dye your mouth brown. I suggest you try Daktarin Oral Gel which is available over the counter at Pharmacies but you may have to get them to order it in.

It is a broad spectrum anti fungal (Thrush is the fungus Candida albicans - but a thrush infection can include other species as well as certain opportunistic bacteria) and this makes the fungi statistic Nystatin about as useful as the proverbial chocolate tea pot.

Daktarin oral gel is orange flavoured- so you can almost convince yourself it’s a bit like Cointreau.....
Can you believe it Clive, because I cant? I just want to get off this roller-coaster ride that I seem to be on, I've had enough now. lol

Thanks for those tips Clive, back to the blooming docs again tomorrow I guest.

I will apologise to anyone who doesn't like to talk about health related issues on a car club, hope I'm not upsetting anyone. I do look at you guys as friends, gaining some support I can only assume is a good thing, it sure does help me.

Thank you again fellas, its always appreciated.
Old 17th December 2018, 07:41   #54
Darcydog
This is my second home

Hi Wes - no need for a Rx - you can buy it over the counter - a 15g tube is cheaper than the Rx charge !
Old 17th December 2018, 09:10   #55
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Correct Darcy.

Almost certainly caused by the antibiotics as Dallas suggested and is quite a common side effect of antibiotic use.

Whoever diagnosed the thrush I thought would have given a Rx or suggested the antifungal mentioned by Darcy. As he says it is readily available from chemists over the counter and is therefore cheaper than the prescription charge.

If persistent there are others that can be prescribed but you would obviously have to see your GP or dentist for an Rx.

Keep believing Wes

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 17th December 2018 at 14:21..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 15:09   #56
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Hi Wes - no need for a Rx - you can buy it over the counter - a 15g tube is cheaper than the Rx charge !
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
Correct Darcy.

Almost certainly caused by the antibiotics as Dallas suggested and is quite a common side effect of antibiotic use.

Whoever diagnosed the thrush I thought would have given a Rx or suggested the antifungal mentioned by Darcy. As he says it is readily available from chemists over the counter and is therefore cheaper than the prescription charge.

If persistent there are others that can be prescribed but you would obviously have to see your GP or dentist for an Rx.

Keep believing Wes
Thanks fellas, It was my wife who diagnosed, and the doc confirmed this morning. He prescribed the Nystatin medicine, also said the cause is due to the antibiotics. Why is it when you solve one problem, it then causes another?
Old 17th December 2018, 21:45   #57
Darcydog
This is my second home

Assuming you pay for your Rx’s Wes - I would suggest you save yourself the money and buy the Daktarin Oral Gel.

Edit - it’s normally about £5.69 for a 15g tube - but it looks like it’s on offer - at Lloyds Chemists anyway as they have it for £5.29 at the moment.

A good idea to brush it into your dentures as well as apply to the inside of the mouth.

Last edited by Darcydog; 17th December 2018 at 21:56..
Old 18th December 2018, 10:56   #58
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Assuming you pay for your Rx’s Wes - I would suggest you save yourself the money and buy the Daktarin Oral Gel.

Edit - it’s normally about £5.69 for a 15g tube - but it looks like it’s on offer - at Lloyds Chemists anyway as they have it for £5.29 at the moment.

A good idea to brush it into your dentures as well as apply to the inside of the mouth.
Thanks for those tips Clive.
Old 21st December 2018, 13:46   #59
Dallas
This is my second home

The state of the NHS?

I've just been told by the hospital that I'm going to have to wait upto 40 weeks for these extractions.

I'm on the cancellation list, lets hope that brings me a much sooner appointment.
Old 21st December 2018, 20:41   #60
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Unfortunately for the type of treatment you are down for, you will not be a priority within an oral surgery department. They are more to do with mouth cancer, facial reconstruction and severe medical complications etc.

As I said before you did well to get an oral surgery department to undertake this type of treatment.

Hopefully they will get a short notice appointment you can take advantage of.

Lets certainly hope so, best of luck