Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th December 2018, 18:14   #11
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
I 'll leave the pension pot to simmer a bit longer.
Not too long, there are very few accounts that pay enough interest for that, have a good holiday!
Old 14th December 2018, 19:08   #12
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Moving on...

Whatever you do, avoid buying a MAZDA (IMHO),
I have one (along with a CDTI 75) , and to be honest its not very good.
They have managed to re invent the Diesel engine, taking it from the more often than not Reliable, Econonmical and loaded with useable Torque...into None of the above!.
Also the dealers are very expensive, wanting just over £100 to replace a fuel filter!. (Told them where to go as well).
Also just had the High Pressure fuel pump replaced (under warranty) due to a random starting issue (The part is about £1300 alone) at 28, 000 miles, all the time the car was at Mazdas (for near 3 weeks) the 75 was flawless, driving it all over the place.
Good luck with whatever you get .
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 20:29   #13
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
Whatever you do, avoid buying a MAZDA (IMHO),
I have one (along with a CDTI 75) , and to be honest its not very good.
They have managed to re invent the Diesel engine, taking it from the more often than not Reliable, Econonmical and loaded with useable Torque...into None of the above!.
Also the dealers are very expensive, wanting just over £100 to replace a fuel filter!. (Told them where to go as well).
Also just had the High Pressure fuel pump replaced (under warranty) due to a random starting issue (The part is about £1300 alone) at 28, 000 miles, all the time the car was at Mazdas (for near 3 weeks) the 75 was flawless, driving it all over the place.
Good luck with whatever you get .

Thanks. I'll avoid Mazdas whatever I do. One things for sure. As and when the car is passed on, it'll be pretty sound. Frazzle did a great job coating the underside before I had it and I've done a fair bit since (new springs. discs, brakes exhaust etc). It's given me my confidence back in motorway driving after a scare some years back and don't think I'd go back to a manual now.
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 21:22   #14
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default 75

That's good news re yours.
The only thing I would take from the Mazda and have fitted to the 75, if I could, would be the wing mirrors that sense other cars near by, and the lovely light clutch.
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 12:32   #15
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Bit over budget but looks good - and I hear the sound systems are excellent. Anyone with any experience of driving this? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...mption=OVER_50
Old 15th December 2018, 19:47   #16
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

The R Design Volvos have excellent roadholding, but very hard suspension - according to my neighbour who has one.
With very low profile tyres too, he says it's a very 'crashy' ride.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 15:50   #17
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I'm going to stew it over for a bit now before I jump from the good ship Rover. Leaning towards a VW based car or Volvo currently. Can't quite see myself in a beamer or a merc. Ta for ideas all.
Old 16th December 2018, 17:57   #18
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm sure lots of VW / Audi cars are reliable but don't presume they all are. I work with a team of three. One is and Audi fan, one has a VW EOS and one has just swapped his Mazda for a Nissan.
The Audi (and A5) is a money pit, the VW leaks like a sieve and has a mysterious intermittent misfire and the Mazda couldn't be relied on to start in the mornings. But they still take the mick out of me for driving an old Rover!

A look at https://www.reliabilityindex.com/ can be interesting.

I too keep thinking about what I'll replace the old 75 with when the times comes. I think it comes down to a Rover P6, a modern box (probably Toyota) and a restoration project (Morris 8?) or stick with the current 75 and get a toy for high days and holidays :¬)
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 18:25   #19
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Audi and the VAG group in general are having a poor time of it with engine reliability recently. The 1.4 tfsi are having problems as are the diesels that have been ‘modified’ following the exposure of the dieselgate scandal. I’ve three friends whose vw’s have been in to the dealer for remedial work. All 3 have since had repeated injector and running faults. VW only guarantee these parts for 2 years...... Be wary. I drive BMW at work. All diesel. The 3 litres have a horrendous reliability issue. So much so they’ve recently lost the contract in favour of Volvo. The 2 litres are solid but very agricultural and noisy. The build quality is questionable throughout. There’s no way I’d part with my money for one.

Have you considered a new shape Ford Mondeo? A lot of car and rarer than the ‘premium’ badged competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 18:54   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Four years old and 110,000 miles. Not such a bargain.

I have, for the last 30 years, bought all my cars at auction.

Never yet bought a dud for friends and family.

Cars today are getting much more reliable than in the past. So much so it's very hard to get a poor deal. The vetting by the auction companies on current sales is very comprehensive with a detailed report pasted on the car screen for all to see.
As a private buyer you will easily outbid any dealer.

The car mentioned in this post was most likely picked up by a dealer at auction for anything up to £3,000 below their asking price. Sometimes more. There's a glut of used cars in Britain today and it's a buyers market.

For £10,000 there is no need to buy a car with more than 30,000 miles on the clock. One owner.

Maybe a bit of cosmetic attention and then sold straight on.---( General dealers expectation.)

Last edited by COLVERT; 17th December 2018 at 19:58..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote