Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2018, 20:14   #31
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Before stripping it down to the pump, check for the good old yardstick, cold pressurisation. I suggest you fit a new hose and refill/bleed as before. Then start the engine, organise a fast tickover and check for abnormal cooling system pressure while the engine's still warming up. I suggest this because your description of the hose burst sounds very dramatic for coolant at only 110C. That's little more than 15psi. It sounds over-pressurised, for after all the usual checks and tests, it's blown a hose. Exhaust gas pressurisation can explain all the observations and will need to be eliminated before the next move.

TC
I think the reason the hose failed was the fact that when pressed with a thumb I could feel/see a longitudinal crease about 6 inches long in the wall of the hose. In reality it was only the outer skin that failed today. The hose was very hard when cold unlike the bottom hose which is still very soft and malleable. After 19 years of heat I guess it’s time was up. Worth checking on your own cars everyone. I’ll take pic tomorrow of the crease and post it.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 21:29   #32
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Indeed, the 1.8 hoses are flimsy at best, though will obviously take at least the 22-23 psi max running pressure of the system. They will weaken with age of course, but don't let your feelings that the hose was too weak detract from the principle of checking the cold system pressure. It's a fundamental test, especially when you're getting nowhere.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 15:05   #33
Steve1966
Loves to post

Thanks for all the replies. The thought of being without a car for another week has prompted me to go out this morning and buy a 9 month old Astra. Ideally I’d keep the 75 as a project/occasional use car but I don’t have the space so I think it’s time to let someone else have a go as a project car, or I’ll have to consider doing the unthinkable. Even if the hose and bleeding would solve the issue she’s 19 in March and getting too old to be my daily driver. If it’s the water pump then as belts are due next summer realistically they should all be done with the water pump. She has done just 70 miles since passing the MOT two weeks ago and has a shiny new rear upper arm and spring so could be a great car for someone willing to take the chance. Scrap man says £200 so thats all it will take to buy. PM if interested. I’m just off J3 of the M6. I’m sad but I think it’s time. I’ve realised other than a foolish 12 month affair with a 207 I grew to hate I’ve had only BL cars since 1984 (and lots of them).

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Old 10th December 2018, 20:15   #34
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

On a tangent -

AA economy class?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 20:31   #35
Steve1966
Loves to post

Clearing my belongings from the car tonight was tough. Insurance swaps to new car on Wednesday. I’ll take a few more days before I make ‘the call’. Never done this before but I know I won’t want to be here when she goes. It’s been almost 22 years since I drove the first D01 prototype in Jan ‘97. I’m glad I lived the dream of ownership for the last 7 years and 80,000 miles before it was too late. ‘I’ll see you in my dreams’.

Last edited by Steve1966; 10th December 2018 at 22:15..
Old 14th December 2018, 21:23   #36
Steve1966
Loves to post

Still can’t bring myself to make ‘the call’. New car came weds so 75 is uninsured and forlorn. I may try to bleed again tomorrow with a temporary hose repair but even if I fix what’s wrong I don’t have space for two cars so I’ve painted myself into a corner with the new car. Seems criminal to kill a car with 12 months MOT and lots of new/good parts like the rear upper arm, new condenser and Jules fan upgrade kit last Feb but options are limited. At least she’s still driveable for a few minutes so I can move her around so as not to upset the same neighbour whilst I deliberate. Be so much easier if I didn’t love her so. And the new Astra is full of tech but not a patch on the 75 for driving comfort/experience (just as I expected).

Last edited by Steve1966; 14th December 2018 at 22:07..
Old 15th December 2018, 10:43   #37
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1966 View Post
I may try to bleed again tomorrow with a temporary hose repair but even if I fix what’s wrong I don’t have space for two cars ...
If you can find the problem and repair it then the 75 can live on with a new owner and you'll feel so much better.
Quote:
At least she’s still driveable for a few minutes so I can move her around so as not to upset the same neighbour ...
When you can, put the battery on charge. Starting from cold just to change parking spaces is going to deplete it and you don't want to be faced with a immobile car and another bill!

Simon
Old 15th December 2018, 10:52   #38
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It's time to say goodbye Steve, the sad facts are no one will want an 1800 that has almost certainly given the rundown of what has been done to it, been cooked

Take off the new arm to sell on and have the rest uplifted by a scrapman with a HIAB, then move on with life.

I'm going to do something similar with the ZT, which at the moment has more than 12 months MOT, but at some point they become not worth repairing.

All the best

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 11:24   #39
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Still, it's been an interesting post.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote