Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th December 2018, 20:08   #8861
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nope, outside on the drive, the garage is full of tricycle
Old 13th December 2018, 21:23   #8862
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Nothing on the Rovers, but whipped the wiper assembly off the Freelander, stripped it down and greased it all up. Also found crimped connectors on all the wiring from the plug which were in a bad way so cut them out, soldered and sleeved the wires with heat shrink tubing.

It was struggling to clear the screen when dry, and I had been meaning to have a look at it for ages, but then Mrs Noc reported that only one wiper was working when she last drove it.

That turned out to be just a loose spindle nut, but having got all the cold weather gear on to go and look at it thought I'd cross another job off the list whilst I was out on the drive.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 13th December 2018 at 23:00..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 12:40   #8863
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Was going to tackle the inlet manifold carbon build up this morning but decided to change the pcv filter instead, far to cold to be scrubbing 'n' cleaning a manifold outside today and the pcv only takes about 10 minutes start to finish.
Another job ticked off the list.
Btw... Anyone ever used 'oven cleaner' on the inside of the diesel manifold prior to a good internal jet washing? if so ... what was the outcome? worth a try?
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 16:18   #8864
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Was going to tackle the inlet manifold carbon build up this morning but decided to change the pcv filter instead, far to cold to be scrubbing 'n' cleaning a manifold outside today and the pcv only takes about 10 minutes start to finish.
Btw... Anyone ever used 'oven cleaner' on the inside of the diesel manifold prior to a good internal jet washing? if so ... what was the outcome? worth a try?
There was a thread (on here or Facebook, can't recall) by a very naive new owner who heard about using oven cleaner. So he simply poured a bottle into his manifold. Of course, this wrecked the engine when he tried to turn it over....but it took a lot of digging by owners trying to help before the stupidity of what he had done became apparent.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 16:52   #8865
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Take off the manifold, remove the MAP sensor and the gaskets, then stick the whole thing in one of those bags you get to stick the shelves of your oven in.

It will come up a treat

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 17:08   #8866
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Took Bones on a trip to see my Aunt in Rowley Regis.

It was lovely and toasty with that heater on.
Old 14th December 2018, 17:21   #8867
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Take off the manifold, remove the MAP sensor and the gaskets, then stick the whole thing in one of those bags you get to stick the shelves of your oven in.

It will come up a treat

Brian
hahahaaa, yes I figured I had to take the manifold off first!
Have heard and seen a few horror stories of peeps chucking all sorts down the manifold with it still in situ (youtube etc, makes you wonder how these people are allowed to wander the planet unattended!
I was going to fill the manifold with oven cleaner but tbh the oven bag idea would be considerably less messy.
After the cleaner has done it's thing, I'm going to break out the jet washer and hopefully it will sort it first time.
Have you done the oven bag trick personally Brian?
I assume it doesn't affect the plastic in any way?
Old 14th December 2018, 17:26   #8868
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
hahahaaa, yes I figured I had to take the manifold off first!
Have heard and seen a few horror stories of peeps chucking all sorts down the manifold with it still in situ (youtube etc, makes you wonder how these people are allowed to wander the planet unattended!
I was going to fill the manifold with oven cleaner but tbh the oven bag idea would be considerably less messy.
After the cleaner has done it's thing, I'm going to break out the jet washer and hopefully it will sort it first time.
Have you done the oven bag trick personally Brian?
I assume it doesn't affect the plastic in any way?
Yes, it's my preferred method for cleaning these out, with no ill effects that I've encountered so far
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 17:47   #8869
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, it's my preferred method for cleaning these out, with no ill effects that I've encountered so far
Cheers Brian, will definitely give that method a go, makes sense not having to scrub away at it for hours, kind of looking forward to getting it done really as it's the last thing on my 'to do' list ... for the time being!
Thanks again mate.
Old 14th December 2018, 17:50   #8870
Shapfell
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conn SE saloon / MG ZTT cdti auto

Nice set of front tyre protectors on the ZTT...... and found the steering gaiter fubared. Oh well.....

2004 Conn SE 1.8
Work so far:-
Gerry T, Rad Fan Resistor, Handbrake Compensator, Bonnet Catch Block, Leather Handbrake gaiter, Journey Camera,
Sean's DD Unit with Freeview!, Towbar, Rear Sunblind, Smiley!, Headlamp Protectors, Alloy Intake, R75 Brolly, Puddle lights, reversing camera.

2004 Connie CDTi Tourer; replacement for the ZTT.
Shapfell is offline   Reply With Quote