Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2018, 14:21   #51
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Only mpg I'm interested in is of course...average. If that wasn't the case I could strip out the rear seats, take up the carpet, in fact remove all the interior, remove the spare wheel, mirrors, wipers, etc and tape up all the doors! keep it real eh?
You forgot the go fast stripes for streamlining
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 17:11   #52
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Haha - it's not important whether you believe me or not but I think you could be a little more polite!

It's very odd that you'd say that when I've posted evidence and others seem to corroborate my claims.

I shall post again with more evidence when I've bettered 60.1 MPG - I reckon on the right day the car can do better than that. An indicated 63-ish MPG would mean an actual 60 MPG, which is my goal.
I'm sorry but no 75 tourer in diesel manual format irrespective of tune, be it 116 131 or 160 will have an actual range of 791 miles which your pictures allude to given you have travelled 178.9 miles and show a distance to empty of 612 miles.

Now the absolute capacity of the diesel fuel tank is 14.3 gallons, so with a projected range of 791 miles, divided by 14.3 is 55.3 MPG.

So if we take into account that there is less than 1/2 gallon of fuel in a diesel tank when it draws it's last gasp, we can call it a usable 14 gallon capacity, which equates to 56.5 MPG.

I have practised hypermiling over the past two years when visiting London from Newcastle, a round trip of 600 miles.
In a diesel manual ZT saloon the maximum distance from full to empty is 685 miles, and in a 75 diesel automatic, the maximum distance is 610 miles.

This has been tries in all states of tune, 116, 131, and 160, 215/55/16 tyres inflated to 34 PSI, or 225/45/18 tyres at the same pressure, and using cruise control set at 55 MPH travelling non stop at night.

Your IPK is telling porkies I'm afraid, usually because one of the float arms on the twin senders in the tank is sticking or damaged, or you are running tyres of an incorrect profile.

For brim to brim measurements, these must be carried out using the same pump at the same filling station and filling until the first click is heard before stopping.

I have heard these tales all before, and my answer is always the same, whether talking face to face, or online, you have either get your sums wrong, or make it up as you go along, these cars do not do 60 MPG, 55 on a run is the best realistic figure anyone can hope for

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 17:44   #53
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

I did a run from Dover to Thetford recently in my 75 TDC (manual), didn't do any maths ... just put £30 in it to go up and £30 on way home, looked at the trip computer back at home and it said average was 50.1 mpg. that was a mix of ... 1st gear crawling in traffic for 40 minutes on A2 followed by 10 minutes of 5mph at the QE bridge, and anywhere between 45 and 80mph for the rest of the way there.
On way home was a nice run of 60-70mph with very little traffic or slowing barring roundabouts etc: and that was with a filthy / blocked air filter, and a thermostat that would not go past the blue dot! Brrrrr. was a bit cold in the car!
TBH ... I thought that was pretty good for a car of it's size and weight and not (at that time) in it's finest fettle, also thought the computer may have been a little optimistic too but if it is doing 50ish mpg on a nice run ... I'm more than happy with that, and if it's not ... not a problem as it's a lovely marque to own and drive and a few mpg deficit isn't going to ruin my driving experience or my life! haha.
Air filter done now, thermostat done, just the fuel / oil / pcv to do tomorrow and then hopefully another run up to Thetford to see my dad before crimbo and i'll take another reading and post it here (if this thread is still going.) LoL.

Last edited by gadget1960; 12th December 2018 at 17:52.. Reason: tech stuff
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 17:49   #54
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
I did a run from Dover to Thetford recently in my 75 TDC, didn't do any maths ... just put £30 in it to go up and £30 on way home, looked at the trip computer back at home and it said average was 50.1 mpg. that was a mix of ... 1st gear crawling in traffic for 40 minutes on A2 followed by 10 minutes of 5mph at the QE bridge, and anywhere between 45 and 80mph for the rest of the way there.
On way home was a nice run of 60-70mph with very little traffic or slowing barring roundabouts etc: and that was with a filthy / blocked air filter, and a thermostat that would not go past the blue dot! Brrrrr. was a bit cold in the car!
TBH ... I thought that was pretty good for a car of it's size and weight and not (at that time) in it's finest fettle.
Air filter done now, thermostat done, just the fuel / oil / pcv to do tomorrow and then hopefully another run up to Thetford to see my dad before crimbo and i'll take another reading and post it here (if this thread is still going.) LoL.
Approximately 300 mile round trip then, average fuel cost £6.20, so 9.5 gallons, about 32 MPG

Time to sort the thermostat out I'd say

Brian

P.S. I see you've sorted the 'stat out, expect to use considerably less fuel on your next trip

Last edited by marinabrian; 12th December 2018 at 17:53.. Reason: additional info
Old 12th December 2018, 18:04   #55
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Hi Brian, I didn't check the mileage either way tbh and we did do about another 30-35 miles running my dad all over town up there so no idea of the actual mileage figure, I just looked at the computer when we got home and thought ... ?? that's not too bad at all, quite pleased with that really, I did no working out from what I had in it to start with/ what I had spent / what I had left / how far we had been etc: and had about an eighth or just under of a tank left .. just took the computer as gospel really. (oh how easily pleased I am eh!)
And ...as you say .. with a service and thermostat done, it should be a little more frugal on a run.
I'm happy with just 'heat' tbh. lol.

Last edited by gadget1960; 12th December 2018 at 18:09.. Reason: info
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 18:43   #56
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
For brim to brim measurements, these must be carried out using the same pump at the same filling station and filling until the first click is heard before stopping.
Quote:
55 on a run is the best realistic figure anyone can hope for

Quoting from the original post i made at the time...

Quote:
Round journey was 412 miles and i used 32.8 litres of diesel.
Now assuming my calculations are correct

32.8/4.55 to convert to gallons = 7.21 ish
412 miles/7.21 = 57.1 mpg

I am assuming that the pumps at the garage are properly calibrated and i used the same pump in the same garage at about the same time of night but i was a little surprised i was getting that sort of economy from a 160k engine and more than a little pleased

It seems we are not a million miles apart (pun intended ) in opinion then Brian as my calculation worked out to only 2.1 mpg more than you feel is likely.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 18:55   #57
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Hello all,

I've just got back from a trip from Fulbourn (near Cambridge) to Poole (in Dorset - I'd recommend it to anyone!) and back - it was a lovely drive with the Rover on top form. I also saw a lot of 75s on my travels, which was very encouraging.

I filled up at Canford Heath Asda and reset the trip computer just after lunch and the traffic condiitons were such that although I went M27, M3, M25 and M11, it was pretty much a steady 60 mph all the way so I decided to see if I could beat my previous MPG figure over a longish distance.

By the time I got off the M25, it was reading an average of 61.4 MPG and slightly faster traffic conditions on the M11 brought that down to 60.1 by the time I got home, however I'm pretty pleased with that. My car under reads consumption slightly so that's most likely actually about 57 to 58 MPG in reality but I think that on the right day I can probably achieve the magic 60 ;-)

Here's the evidence, apologies for the lines on the display. I like that in the second pic the range is 612 miles, with 175 already on the clock. That's a bit ambitious, but I regurlary get over 600 miles from a tankfull. What a superb car!

Cover you and raise you 4.----

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 18:57   #58
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Quoting from the original post i made at the time...

It seems we are not a million miles apart (pun intended ) in opinion then Brian as my calculation worked out to only 2.1 mpg more than you feel is likely.
Absolutely Pete, however a tourer will always fare worse than a saloon, they are quite a bit heavier, and considerably less aerodynamic.

Your calculated MPG is excellent, and I would suggest you would be hard pressed to better that figure
Old 12th December 2018, 19:10   #59
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Absolutely Pete, however a tourer will always fare worse than a saloon, they are quite a bit heavier, and considerably less aerodynamic.

Your calculated MPG is excellent, and I would suggest you would be hard pressed to better that figure

I was surprised at the time as i was expecting less tbh but subsequent trips over a similar distance have roughly worked out well into the 50's so quite happy Of course it is all downhill from Manchester

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:22   #60
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

It is totally possible depending highly on circumstances.

When I had a tyre issue on the M20 to M25 junction, coming back from a trip abroad, I stuck the spacesaver on, and drove at 50mph all the way back to Scotland. I was bored like I have never been before, and it took SOOOO long. Somewhere I think I have the mpg readout photographed.

The weather was warm, there was zero wind for the entire journey, zero traffic jams, zero delays, solid 50 non-stop, and upon getting back, the IPK showed 64.somthing mpg.

I know it must have been FAIRLY accurate, as I still had a load of fuel left in the tank, and also I was actually worried the fuel gauge was broken as it was not really going down at all. From my shaky memory, I think I filled up in Holland/Belguim, and had just under 1/4 tank left at my destination.

Now, translate that to say 80mph, freezing winter, windy as hell, car loaded with stuff, and that could quite easily drop 20mpg straight off the bat.

The weather is a massive factor, but yeah, I was actually paranoid the readout was broken tbh. Driving at 50 all the way was soul destroying, now I dont give a monkeys really about mpg, I just want to get their, life is too short.

Sometimes when abroad, say for arguments sake I'm in Croatia, cruising at 50mph, 36/38DegC temperature, no wind, pure sun, window down, tunes on, IPK will suggest 800+ Miles range off a full tank. In the UK climate, the mpg PLUMMETS, even in the summer. Really you start to see a huge difference when the ambient temps are well above 35. Dont ask me the logic, you would have thought even at running temp, the extra colder air would be better for mpg/ignition, but it seems not.

Last edited by T16; 12th December 2018 at 21:26..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote