Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2018, 19:06   #31
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Its a true figure, for average use .
You can get much better figures ,for smaller distances , depending on when you push the button . Ive seen over 100 mpg indicated ,for the first few yards, but that changes over distance.
So just what are we discussing here , max indicated mpg , or true mpg that an average owner can expect ?

I think we were discussing what can be got on a run over a reasonable distance. Instantaneous figures should be ignored of course and I would also be a little sceptical of any onboard systems predicting mileage but when a brim to brim test is done over a several hundred mile run then you have to give it a little credance. I don't think anyone is claiming that circa 60mpg is possible with day to day driving but i think you can get close on a single long run if you catch the traffic right however i'll happily concede that mid to high 40's should be possible on average.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 19:41   #32
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default M.p.g.

Run 2 x 75 auto's & 1 manual 75 tourers as everyday cars 1 auto on 142,000 miles which gives around 40 mpg, other auto 204,000 miles (131 bhp facelift model) gives around 37 mpg & manual 206,000 miles gives 48/50 mpg. All are diesel tourers well serviced but not driven on a way to give optimum fuel econemy, and this is over a period of ownership since 2007.I reckon it may on occasions be possible to get more but who cares just enjoy the cars everyday.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 21:39   #33
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
So just what are we discussing here , max indicated mpg , or true mpg that an average owner can expect ?

The reason I initiated the thread in the first place was to share my somewhat geeky achievements in an effort to make an otherwise tedious sunday afternoon drive more engaging.

I find it somewhat bemusing that some people on here have basically said that the result of my three hour experiment is actually impossible, without trying it themselves, or considering the factors involved with whether one of our cars can greatly exceed their published MPG figures when driven in favourable conditions. I ain't lying!

So if you are of a mind to compare figures between cars and journeys, to make it a fair-ish test, can anybody else better an indicated 60.1 MPG over 175 miles?

I intend to, even though my car, apparently, can't do any better than 48 MPG
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 21:58   #34
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
An automatic diesel driven conservatively will achieve between 40 and 44 mpg, and a manual between 42 and 48 mpg.

The most you can reasonably expect to achieve is low to mid 50s and that is a manual car cruise enabled, driven at 60MPH without traffic, and automatics driven with the same conditions 46mpg at a push.

Anyway if you want to make yourself feel good about fuel consumption, reset the MPG meter while travelling downhill and tickle the throttle, you might see an impressive figure then.

60 MPG may be seen as an instantaneous figure, but it is not a realistic one

Brian
I did manage to get 47 Mpg out of my 75 diesel auto, the only Rover I have managed 65 MPG in was my 45 diesel saloon - but that was really driving like a granny!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 22:57   #35
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don’t know if other people do this....but in certain driving conditions, I have found no need to go over 2000 rpm when changing up. I do under certain road and load conditions, pull away in first gear,go up to 2500 rpm, and change into third gear, and at just over 2200 rpm, change up to top gear. Whether this helps mpg I do not know, but it is nice and smooth.
Old 10th December 2018, 23:16   #36
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I regularly take one or other of my fleet on a round trip of some 580 miles, so I've a good idea of what the fuel consumption should be like. The majority of this would be on motorway/main roads on which I can cruise at an indicated 80-85mph, bar a couple of short stretches restricted to 60mph. About 200 miles of it is on minor roads which can often be rather twisty or narrow, on which there's often a need to drop a gear and floor it in order to bypass slow vehicles. These trips always involve at least one fill-up.
In my diesel with a manual gearbox, the range can be anywhere from 580 to 650 miles, depending on the time of year and how much accelerating/braking I've had to do. I don't think it has ever gone below 560 miles to a tank, even after a series of unusually short trips. The highest I ever got was 732 miles on one fill - however, that involved crawling along the west coast of Ireland at 40-45mph for a couple of days. I wouldn't recommend it!
Interestingly, another diesel of ours with the same power output and transmission as the one I usually drive is always about 10% thirstier, even when we swap cars and it has the same driver and usage patterns for a while. Still haven't worked out why, but I'll get be getting the wheels aligned shortly and it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 07:30   #37
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
An automatic diesel driven conservatively will achieve between 40 and 44 mpg, and a manual between 42 and 48 mpg.

The most you can reasonably expect to achieve is low to mid 50s and that is a manual car cruise enabled, driven at 60MPH without traffic, and automatics driven with the same conditions 46mpg at a push.

Anyway if you want to make yourself feel good about fuel consumption, reset the MPG meter while travelling downhill and tickle the throttle, you might see an impressive figure then.

60 MPG may be seen as an instantaneous figure, but it is not a realistic one

Brian
Over 4 yrs of ownership my 131 manual estate gets 47 in the summer and low 40s in the winter. There will be some natural variations from car to car.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 20:35   #38
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

If I wanted to get 60 mpg, I would have got something like a Micra, or worse.

Based on around 14,000 miles, I get 39.6 mpg for my diesel auto, which is a bonus over the V6 manual which is 27.34 mpg.

However, the V6 is nicer to drive, and is also better at overtaking slow vehicles.
This is such as a Tata Nano, or even cars, built for better performance characteristics, but driven within the performance envelope of such cars.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 20:42   #39
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
If I wanted to get 60 mpg, I would have got something like a Micra, or worse.

Based on around 14,000 miles, I get 39.6 mpg for my diesel auto, which is a bonus over the V6 manual which is 27.34 mpg.

However, the V6 is nicer to drive, and is also better at overtaking slow vehicles.
This is such as a Tata Nano, or even cars, built for better performance characteristics, but driven within the performance envelope of such cars.
OP was quoting screenwash consumption I think
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 23:05   #40
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

i've not been a ZT owner for a good few years but managed to get over 58 mpg after travelling from the north east of England to oxford to pick up a full leather contemporary interior as well as another long motorway trip. from the fuel light coming on and filling to the brim and back to the fuel light coming back on again i managed 705 miles.
that was after a Marinabrian 160 remap, a new Bosche MAF and a service. i never went past the 70mph mark and the roads were at most points quite clear.
14.5 around the doors and 29 mpg on a run in the Jaguar s-type R shows how frugal the diesel 75 / ZT's can be.

2012-09-19 21.26.20.jpg