Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2014, 07:33   #541
Duotone
This is my second home

It's stared already.

George Monibiot in the Guardian today is already blaming Rupert Murdoch, The Daily Mail, Telegraph, Times and the media in general for the NO vote to win.

As Rich above says

Follow the bookies on who is going to win.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 07:34   #542
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

I hope Scotland gets independence, got a great money making scheme, UK patents would be null and void, so I'll be registering a patent in Scotland for the car, and the phone etc
Old 17th September 2014, 08:38   #543
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Last chance to get some cash on,

Thus mornings odds,

No 1/4
Yes 7/2
They've been that way for ages. Has anyone who is sure of YES had a bet? I still think NO, but little value in betting.

If I was YES and sure all the polls and bookies were wrong I'd be getting some easy money. I'm surprised no-one has gone for a bet.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 10:06   #544
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post

But london cannot be blamed for what the counties can provide to earn a living most are not industalized and those that were have lost out to the asian tiger countries
The world is changing and no country is immune.

At least in Kernow you have clean air fabulous countryside good fishing and fabulous neighbours in devon
You make some good points, but I still think that our central Government has taken many wrong turnings in recent years, which have actually compounded the problems. I look on Government as the board of directors that we elect to run our country (countries), but they often fail to solve the problem, as do some large companies, and instead bring in a system to circumvent the problem, patches if you like. However, over time many patches are added and in the end nobody knows who/what to blame. Governments have been hiving off responsibilities to local authorities, but when people complain about a poor service, the council blame the Government for not giving enough funding and the Government claim they have! Then these local councils find it too tedious to run things like children's playgrounds and sell them off to parish councils for the nominal sum of £1. But, it all starts in central Government. Councils should be agents of the elected government.

Similarly, our industry has been sent overseas, allegedly because of cost, but in many cases because of difficult employment laws and union pressures, and sometimes, purely out of spite. Certainly, today, it is just as cheap to produce cars, for example, in the UK, as it is in any other part of the world, mainly because manpower only represents a very small part of the production cost; the robotic machinery costs the same the world over. It has been suggested that the US will lose 40% of current manual jobs, which technology will take over, by 2020 and you can bet the UK will soon follow. We should be bringing more production back to the UK, instead of relying on unstable foreign countries.

I think the counties do still provide a lot of their own wealth and although London provides a lot of wealth in the 'City', it is created by gambling with other people's money, hardly an industry. The counties provide most of the utility services used by London and dispose of most of their rubbish. As for the Cornish enjoying clean air and good fishing, it doesn't pay their bills and doesn't justify the lowest labour rate in England.

As I have said before, I want the Government to provide equally for their citizens and when they have to make changes, check on their long term impact, such as future maintenance that may be required, but above all, make sure they are solving the problem and that we can all understand the reasoning.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 10:24   #545
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
Governments have been hiving off responsibilities to local authorities, but when people complain about a poor service, the council blame the Government for not giving enough funding and the Government claim they have! Then these local councils find it too tedious to run things like children's playgrounds and sell them off to parish councils for the nominal sum of £1. But, it all starts in central Government. Councils should be agents of the elected government.

That's an interesting view point, you think the local councils should be more directly controlled by the Central gov?
Old 17th September 2014, 14:55   #546
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

I can understand why some Scots feel frustrated by the UK Government over the years. However just as much resentment has been felt in other parts and regions. I feel that a Federal solution should have been looked at years ago. This would have prevented the volcano of resentment building up, and not just in Scotland.
My greatest fear is for the economic wellbeing of an independent Scotland. There is some uncertainty with regard to the future oil production, it has a rapidly ageing population and will apparently not have a currency over which it has any control. The Euro is effectively controlled by the Deutche Bank, and had the UK be tied to this we would not have had the flexibility to manage our own economy. We now see the UK economy making encouraging growth, with falling unemployment. In Europe unemployment is rising, and their economies are, at best, static. Scotland, if it used the pound, would not have any control of its interest rates or any leverage. If it's economy dipped, but was tied by monetary union with a possibly booming UK economy, would suffer very badly.
I know Salmond has said that an independent Scotland will be the ''best of pals'' with the UK. However I feel that the 18 months of negotiations may well turn nasty. The analogy of a divorce has been used many times. I have known married people who have grown apart and decide to divorce. In the beginning they both agree to amicable division of assets, and arrangements for children and even pets. By the end, they are fighting tooth and nail in the courts. I think that we are all now peering over the edge at a very uncertain future for these beautiful islands, and for that I feel genuinely sad.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 18:22   #547
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

It was nasty some time ago and has only got worse. My daughters car was defaced whilst she was at work by idiots from a certain side plastering a certain colour of stickers on it. They are permenant stickers and extremely difficult to remove. Totally uncalled for.

My wifes friend at work who is an English Teacher was told to 'get on the M74 and go home' when the person asking how she was voting by an activist at a local supermarket when they realised she has an English accent.

I'm ashamed that some of my fellow scots have behaved the way they have.

If the vote goes the way I think it will, it will be tainted by intimidation, bullying and underpinned by anti English attitudes. Strong words I know, but it is so evident and not a good example of Salmond's "fair and just society" that we are going to have.

Last edited by Yella Fella; 17th September 2014 at 18:51..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 18:42   #548
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Seems the bookies are so confident of a NO they are paying out already.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29232538
Old 17th September 2014, 18:51   #549
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

I have been presented with an opportunity to cancel or postpone my business trip to Glasgow in a couple of weeks.... Could be a wise move, my surname is England
Old 17th September 2014, 19:09   #550
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

I'd just like to say I hope the people of Scotland get what they want whatever it may be tommorrow, and good luck to you all for the future, in whatever it may hold for you.

Snagger.

How to remove CDT alternator from top & side :-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=199608

Battery charge light problems on a diesel ?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=64

Diesel charging FBH voltage supply diagram

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ght=cdt+charge

How to identify voltage regulator type diesel

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...56&postcount=3

Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote