Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2010, 21:52   #1
roverboy1

rover 75 cdt

Default leaking clutch

how do you top up the clutch master cylinder fluid? I was told you cant it must be replaced....ulp
roverboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:00   #2
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Unhappy

eh.... you dont quite understand if you have lost fluid its failed,either the master or slave cylinder,if its the later its done the clutchs head in as well get it to a mechanic who knows the score with these cars

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:08   #3
roverboy1

rover 75 cdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark d3 View Post
eh.... you dont quite understand if you have lost fluid its failed,either the master or slave cylinder,if its the later its done the clutchs head in as well get it to a mechanic who knows the score with these cars
thanks Mark I posted this 2nd message before I saw your reply. guess I should take it in then. Thanks a lot , Dave
roverboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:10   #4
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

no worrys dave hope its a cheap fix

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:50   #5
Stuart1410
Regular poster

MG ZT-T V6 + lpg (now sold)

Good luck, but be aware. My recent experience has cost me dearly (2.5 V6 with about 70k on clock when problem started).
My clutch started to slip in March, into local garage clutch plate, cover and dual mass flywheel replaced £800. Cause, a £2 spigot shaft seal on gearbox failed. Few weeks ago difficulty in engaging gear especially when stationary with little effective movement of clutch pedal. Spoke to garage as my immediate thought was slave cylinder / release bearing and I expected that to have been replaced at the same time as the rest of the clutch, but it hadn't been. Apparently they considered it wasn't worn out or leaking so didn't replace it! 6hrs plus of labour to get at the clutch!
Master cyl can be topped up, although difficult to get access to it. The system is generally sealed and should not need any topping up. If it is leaking there are only three areas, master cyl - you will see a wet patch on your left shoe, the quick fit connector located above the bell housing or the slave cyl.
If you do decide to try topping up the master cyl this is only a temporary "get you home" type of repair. Suggest you use a syringe but don't forget to remove a conical shaped rubber seal before topping up and to replace it afterwards. This is what I did for a couple of weeks. It didn't solve the problem. Anyway into the garage again and they claim to have put a scope into the bell housing to look at the slave cyl and it appeared dry. They therefore changed the master cyl £260. Cheaper option and it worked fine, for less than 2 weeks! Back into the garage christmas week. Finally changed the combined slave cyl / release bearing another bill for £340 only charged me 3.5 hrs labour though (must have been feeling sorry for me or a guilt complex?) but managed to get some more discount to just over £500 for the 2 last bills. What a Christmas present!
Stuart
Stuart1410 is offline   Reply With Quote