Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2008, 09:26   #1
<James|Rover>
Regular poster

Jaguar S Type

Default Tips on filling up and saving fuel

Someone sent me this R R email - looks pretty sensible to me...

TIPS ON FILLING YOUR CAR(S) (Good information)
I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... But here in Durban , SA, We are also paying higher,up to R7.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre. Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline where I work in Durban , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or bike in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.
If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.
The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up
Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

|pm | profile |
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
<James|Rover> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 09:31   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Well done James tips worth noting
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 09:34   #3
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Very informative post, thank you for taking the time to type it up, I am certain that a lot of members will actually take note of your comments and act accordingly.

Thank you James.
Old 21st June 2008, 09:46   #4
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Only buy or fill up your car or bike in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

Well this one is garbage. Given that the tanks are buried at least 6 feet below ground you are not going to see a huge difference in ground temperature at that depth even between winter and summer let alone morning and evening! Te other advice seems ok though....:lol:
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 09:56   #5
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post

Well this one is garbage. Given that the tanks are buried at least 6 feet below ground you are not going to see a huge difference in ground temperature at that depth even between winter and summer let alone morning and evening! Te other advice seems ok though....:lol:
Hi Zeb don't for get that the author of this information lives in South Africa
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 10:00   #6
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
Hi Zeb don't for get that the author of this information lives in South Africa
Ah, good point! It won't apply over here just the same...

Last edited by Zeb; 21st June 2008 at 17:36..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 17:36   #7
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

No vapour return system here either.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 17:41   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I've read this recently on one of the 3 forums I read, this one (obviously not on here), .org, and Detailing World, and there was a general pooh-poohing of all the points, with some very plausible reasoning.

I reckon that there's nothing to be lost in following the tips, and there might just be something gained.

So thanks...........

malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote