Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2014, 16:12   #1
icer1985

Rover 75 Tourer

Exclamation Rover 75 Tourer - how to replace fuel flap release actuator?

Hey there,

first off all, sorry for my bad English - I am from Germany. But I hope you can help me though. =)

Since a while I own a Rover 75 Tourer (2001) and sadly the fitting that holds the fuel flap dismantled. So I purchased an used fuel flap release actuator (part number FUG100500) and wanted to replace the broken one.

But I was not able to find out how to open the inside cover panel to get access to the release actuator to replace it. I did find a manual how to do this with a Rover 75, but not for the Rover 75 Tourer.

Maybe I am just blind or blockheaded, but I did not get to manage this.

Anyone can help me out with this? How can I open the back cover to get access to the actuator? I am very thankful for every single hint.

Thank you.

Kindest regards
Chris
icer1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 16:55   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default Access to fuel flap locking motor

Hello Chris, this can be a bit of a problem to do, but this may help.
Open the tailgate and remove the rear pillar trim that covers the area between the tailgate, and the rear window and extends up to the roof lining. This is held on by trim clips that require a careful pulling action.
The carpeted floor panel that curves up to the window needs removing now. This is done by removing the 1 floor luggage hook, this is covered by a blanking strip that will come out using long nose pliers, now undo the 2 torx screws, and put in a safe place. In the same panel on the plastic section by the glass, there is another luggage hook that needs unscrewing, put this somewhere safe.
Now fold down the rear seal and you will see where the panel is secured by clips and maybe a screw or two. When this is done the panel can be peeled away slightly from the seat end. Now raise the floor cover that covers the spare wheel and after checking for any other fixings, gently pull the trim away.
This will expose the filler neck tubing and you will find the offending item there. The way it is held in place is by a collar outside where the pin engages into the filler flap. Rotate this collar by half a turn and it will come out inside the car. The refit is a bit more difficult as getting the collar back onto the solinoid is a bit of a fight and you will need somebody else to hold the solinoid in position when you refit the collar.
I Hope this helps, I had this to do about 6 months ago, so I may have missed only a tiny detail or two, but thats how I did it.
Good Luck ! Regards John H.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 09:00   #3
icer1985

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi John,

thanks for your kind reply, I really appreciate it. I will try get get things sorted out these days and I hope to get it done with your "guide".

Thank you for taking the time!
Old 30th October 2014, 18:05   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I have not come across a broken one..... yet

It is more likely that someone has pulled the green release cable in the loadspace too hard and the locking pin is stuck. It will probably wiggle a little when you lock and unlock the car. If this is the case, it just needs pushing from behind. Follow John's advice, and just give the locking pin a push from inside, it might just spring back into action
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 15:42   #5
icer1985

Rover 75 Tourer

So, today I finally could replace the defective one with the new one - and it works. Took a while, but your instructions helped a lot, John. THANK YOU!

Rich, thanks, but the old fuel flap release actuator was really not working anymore, the motor was broken.

But at the end I am happy that everything is fixed now. Thanks for your time!
Old 14th November 2020, 10:09   #6
RichandPaula
Loves to post

03 CDTi SE Conny Tourer & 04 135 TF

Default Thank you

I’ve managed to fix my locking ring back onto the solenoid by following your how to guide. Thank you for posting.
RichandPaula is offline   Reply With Quote