Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd October 2019, 09:04   #11
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
On a severely corroded nut I think you need to use Vise Grips/Mole wrench and lots of penetrating fluid. The fitting will be scrap afterwards however.

Simon
You might be right Simon (I hope not though).

I've had Plusgas soaking in all night and the flare spanner(s) won't arrive 'til late this afternoon. Before then I'll try cleaning up the nut hexagons with a Dremel, then give them plenty more Plusgas. The nuts themselves aren't that corroded - it's the mating surface between them and the bracket that's making them stick. Maybe a carefully aimed sharp tap in exactly the right place will help crack it.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:08   #12
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon is missing the point here

This is a flare nut spanner, designed especially to tackle the sort of job you are trying to do

Attempting to remove a brake pipe union, especially one which will have been assembled dry by whoever fitted the new front to rear pipework with an open ended spanner is asking for trouble, as you've already found out

You can create your own spanner, by chopping a 3/16" clearance slot into the broach of an 11mm ring spanner with an angle grinder if you wish, however these are cheaply and readily available at most places, even Halfords if you are desperate enough

For example........LINK

Brian
I've bought a set Brian. Not top quality but they've got pretty good reviews - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:16   #13
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS. Brian - the copper pipes were fitted in 2013. I don't know if they were assembled dry because I wasn't there to see it.

When you say assembled dry, do you mean the parts should have been lubricated somehow (and the mounting bracket)?
Old 29th October 2019, 16:36   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Hose grommet?

I've got these unions apart using a Sealey VS0348 brake spanner (link). I bought two other 11mm brake spanners - the set mentioned earlier and a Draper 31967 - but neither of them fitted anywhere near as well as as the Sealey.

Anyway, back to the question. The original factory rear hoses have a sliding grommet which slots into a small bracket. The bracket screws onto the trailing arm.

This is the grommet.

And this is the bracket.

Replacement hoses do not have the grommet (link) and it's not shown as a separate item on the main page here - so it has to be transferred from the old hose to the new hose. The question is how. It's a very, very tight fit - I can slide it along the hose but I can't see any way of getting it over the metal fittings at either end. Has anyone ever managed to do it?

Old 30th October 2019, 09:34   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you can't get it off cut through with a Stanley knife and super glue the ends once fitted to the new hose.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 09:48   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If you can't get it off cut through with a Stanley knife and super glue the ends once fitted to the new hose.
Simon.
Do as Mike suggested or once you have split the rubber collar and added it to the new hose, push the split part into the bracket recess first it should stay in place.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 11:31   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Mike & Steve - I'll split it as you suggest.

Btw, the new hoses have a protector spring on one half - the old hoses on my car don't.

The new hoses also have a metal piece half-way along - is this supposed to go inside the same rubber collar I've already got, or is there another, different collar that I haven't seen? (Without a collar, or some other device, the hose won't lock into the metal bracket shown in post 16 - it'll just flap about in the breeze).
Old 30th October 2019, 14:00   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post

Btw, the new hoses have a protector spring on one half - the old hoses on my car don't.

The new hoses also have a metal piece half-way along - is this supposed to go inside the same rubber collar I've already got, or is there another, different collar that I haven't seen? (Without a collar, or some other device, the hose won't lock into the metal bracket shown in post 16 - it'll just flap about in the breeze).
You can wrap some plastic sticky tape around the pipe. Just make it a tight fit when pushed into the bracket.--

The spring is to reinforce the pipe and stop it kinking.

Last edited by COLVERT; 30th October 2019 at 23:31..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 21:18   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post

HI Simon.
It seems you have the brake hose that is held in by a spring, the metal part on the hose goes one side of the bracket and the other side is a spring which in turn pulls the joint tight.

I am trying to find a close up shot of said spring for you.

PS could not find a close up photo of the said two prong spring but below is a link to them
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291736834471

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-EJP78...caAgHiEALw_wcB

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001567

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 30th October 2019 at 23:33.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 23:38   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You can wrap some plastic sticky tape around the pipe. Just make it a tight fit when pushed into the bracket.--
I think it'll be a tight fit anyway - the new hoses seem to be exactly the same outside diameter as the old ones, which took quite a bit of prising to get them out of the trailing arm brackets. I'll try it tomorrow and see. It took me all afternoon just to clean up & paint the union brackets - pesky things.

This is looking a bit better.